Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ironton Tribune: Coy Bacon dead at 66

skinsfan4221977

Why do so many NFL players seem to die so young? The game must take a huge toll on their bodies.

Bacon's sack numbers are insane. TWENTY SIX sacks in a single season? Wow. And that was in '76, when they were still playing only 14 games a season. (The 16 game season didn't start until 1978.)

SI's Paul Zimmerman listed Bacon as the 10th best pass rusher in NFL history.

I remember in 1975 we beat the Saints something like 49-3 on opening day, and George Allen let Coy Bacon kick an extra point.

~Bang

That was actually Deacon Jones, I was at that game. They were teammates and friends

Bacon was a real wild man and loved to party, he fit in great with the George Allen "Over the Hill Gang"

2 things you dont see under this new regime the words "outstanding aquisition".

do we have to take cheap shots at the FO/JC/Zorn etc... in every single thread?

A man passed away, and people want to pay their respect... not the place post personal gripes against the team... let it go

Does anyone know if any historians went back and reviewed film to see how many sacks players got before they became an official stat in 1982? I know that Deacon Jones proclaims he had over 200 sacks and there was a guy who played for Philadelphis back in the 50's or 60's that claimed to have had something like 12 sacks in one game. It would be interesting to see an adjusted sack total for those players that never had sacks counted.

I remember in 1975 we beat the Saints something like 49-3 on opening day, and George Allen let Coy Bacon kick an extra point.

~Bang

It was Deacon Jones against the Bears in the last game of the '74 season and the score was 42-0. But, otherwise, you're memory hasn't failed you. :D

Archived