Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowher to Redskins in 2009 Likely?

bulldog

I can't believe that Herm and Norv get passes by their respective owners.

I wonder you if could combine Herm and Norv into some mutated super coach called Nerm. He would consistently get praised and rehired over and over again for coming to teams and destroying them from the inside out.

:rotflmao: Good one

The Cleveland job will be the most appealing. On offense they have a young talented QB in Brady Quinn, potential pro-bowl reciever in Braylon Edwards, the makings of a top notch o-line and one of the top 5 TEs. All of these players are fairly young.

On defense, they already play the 3-4 and have Kamerion Wimbley, Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson.

IMO, with the right coach and a solid draft they can easily win 10+ games next season.

I could see Cowher coming here, due to the POWER factor. Look at the Skins, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, and those type teams. They're power teams, not only in the way they play ball, aggressive D, run-first teams, and POWER in the media as well. That's attractive to someone like Cowher, what's Cleveland got to offer? Same with Lions and so forth - Nadda!

I am leary of the 3-4 as we really don't have enough personnel to run it... I could see Daniels coming back if we do, as DE, with Monty as NT, and maybe Evans as the other starting DE... You might could keep Golston as rotation on DE... but definitely would need another big-body NT, and 2 more fresh DE's... Move Carter and Taylor both to outside LB, and Fletch and Rocky-Mac to the inside LB spots... that'd be pretty good rush too. But again, we need to address rotation then as well.

While we don't have the best personnel to suit-up right away for 3-4, we can pull it off, and turn it over in 1-2 years not 4 years like someone else on here said... We have the DB's that can withstand for a while, so with that, DRAFT LINEMAN only for a while. It's high time for a change in philosophy around here.

Will it happen like that though, will Snyder out VC, and Zorn all in one season to get Cowher?? It'd be the BIG SPLASH he craves, maybe!! Stay tuned in the off-season.

If all Cowher wants to do is cash in, yeah, I could see him coming here. But that doesn't mean it would work. Cowher worked for one of the best organziations in the NFL, and that DID have something to do with how well he did. (Does it look the Steelers have missed a beat since his departure?) Here? You got two goofs in Snyder and Vinnie drafting receivers every year, when we need other things (this year, offensive linemen). Also, as I recall, Cowher is good friends with Shottenheimer. Any attempt by Danny boy to sell the notion that he would let Cowher run the organization would be laughed at, since Danny earlier stiffed Marty on that count. Any coach that comes here has to accept the fact that Snyder views it as his hands-on toy. Nothing is more glaring than his refusal, coach after coach, to appoint a General Mgr. At this point you have to wonder if the top coaches won't come here, viewing it as a poisoned well. So what you're left with are the untested (Zorn), and the desperate retreads (Fassel). At this point I just watch the games and hope Snyder eventually gets bored with the team owner thing. We won't advance to a Super Bowl as long as he owns this team. The best we can hope for are "one and done" every other year. He's now owned the team long enough for anyone to see the pattern.

Cowher goes to Browns.

Besides, if he came here and went 7-9 or worse, all the same "Fire Cowher Now", "Redskins Revolving Door of Incompetence" type threads would be flooding the board.

Guaranteed.

Pretty sure that no matter who comes here, if we go 7-9, you will see those threads.

I've heard a lot of rumors that the Browns job will go to Marty.

I have an idea :idea:....why don't we give Jim Zorn a chance to become our franchises' "Bill Cowher" and maybe give him more than a year. I know stability would be a new and novel idea but lets try it. Give him a full offseason as our coach...and then 86 him next year if need be.

The talk was that Cowher wanted to stay in this area (I believe he currently resisdes in North Carolina around Charlotte).

In fact, one of his kids might soon be going to school here in Northern Virginia (I don't know if that is true or not).

The talk was that he wanted to eventally coach the Panthers, right near where he lived.

If any of that is true, then the only job regionally that has the possibility of being open or Cowher is the Redskins HC job (and that isn't certain).

He ceratinly won't get the Panther's job. They are doing great right now, and I don't think they are looking for a replacement. :)

Certainly not in Baltimore, where they are happy with their new HC.

Even if we expand out into the region a little more....

The Titans' HC job? Nope (unless Fischer quits)

The Falcons? Nope.. they seem to be doing very well.

The Eagles? Or Giants? Certainly not (again unless Reid or Coughlin quit).

So if it is true that he wants to stay in this area, the only job he may have a chance for is the HC job in Washington.

And that one may not even be open at the end of the season.

I have an idea :idea:....why don't we give Jim Zorn a chance to become our franchises' "Bill Cowher" and maybe give him more than a year. I know stability would be a new and novel idea but lets try it. Give him a full offseason as our coach...and then 86 him next year if need be.

I don't know if Zorn should be let go or not.

I'm not on the inside, so I don't know what is actually going on.

In fact, pretty much everyone here doesn't have a clue what is really happening.

Certainly not the ones that are calling for a quick axe.

However, also not the ones that are screaming "stability".

Keep in mind that we once had SEVEN YEARS of Norval Turner "stability".

And we all remember what that was like. :doh:

Charger fans are finding out now. :)

You don't keep a guy around just for the sake of that stability of keeping him around.

Not if he isn't the right one.

I thought Cowher left on good terms with the Rooney's. Taking the Cleveland job would seem to be a spite type of move to me. Personally, I would be in favor of supplanting Zorn with Cowher - only him or other established HC perhaps Gruden if they fizzle out and are tired of him in Tampa. Other than that I would not make a move.

I still am not sure if 40 million or more is enough for him to come to DC - then again :D

And honestly, how many of us, after having fulfilled our dream of owning the Washington Redskins, would turn it entirely over to someone else and write ourselves out of the equation entirely?
I would. Absolutely, and without hesitation or regret. I wouldn't necessarily turn everything over to one guy, but I would have no problem turning things over to smart, successful people who have more experience than me. Anything less would be arrogant and stupid.

I don't know if Zorn should be let go or not.

I'm not on the inside, so I don't know what is actually going on.

In fact, pretty much everyone here doesn't have a clue what is really happening.

Certainly not the ones that are calling for a quick axe.

However, also not the ones that are screaming "stability".

Keep in mind that we once had SEVEN YEARS of Norval Turner "stability".

Yeah the Norvel years....:doh:, stability can be a curse too.

I would. Absolutely, and without hesitation or regret. I wouldn't necessarily turn everything over to one guy, but I would have no problem turning things over to smart, successful people who have more experience than me. Anything less would be arrogant and stupid.

You don't get as rich as Dan Snyder without being arrogant and stupid though :lol:

And honestly, how many of us, after having fulfilled our dream of owning the Washington Redskins, would turn it entirely over to someone else and write ourselves out of the equation entirely? It's something everyone should think about, especially if you just shelled out $1 billion.

Hell, if I spend $50k on a car, nobody's driving it but me.

I must confess I missed this first time around due to not reading through the thread. My bad.

I agree TOTALLY with Mark on this one.

No disrespect Zoony, but it's that conceited attitude has us in the state we presently are.

Snyder's complete arrogance and financial contempt that it's "mine, all MINE!" Which is even more baffling when you consider the $'s he's made from his various business enterprises over the years.

Did he go in and run EVERY aspect of those?

No, he surrounded him self, like any good businessman, with the top people in whatever particular field and let them run the various aspects of each organisation.

So why do it with a sports franchise?

He may want to win, and care about the Redskins in his own way, but until this megalomaniac, arrogant attitude ceases, all he'll ever have is a cash cow due to the continued exploitation of the blind faith of the fans. (Or our stupidity, considering the VERY average, yet VERY expensive product we've continually seen through his reign.).

I personally don't think it matters WHO is the Head Coach of the Washington Redskins, when we have a set up at the very top like we do.

What chance does any Coach really have?

And who in their right mind, of ANY note, would want to come here while things are like they are?

Hail.

If Cowher comes here, and gets the control he'd want, we're looking forward to 2-3 years of mediocrity followed by what might be a dynasty to match the Skins of the 80's. I could imagine Cowher pulling a Jimmy Johnson and just gutting the team to rebuild, ala Parcells and Miami recently. He wouldn't be able to do it as fast, because of the state of mess our cap space is in, though if 2010 goes uncapped... woohoo

If Williams comes back, I think you're looking at a decade of playoff hit and misses and continued questionable draft pickups on the offensive side of the ball. However, I believe moving forward the drafts will continue to get better because we've finally got a decent scouting department to give Vinny enough information even he might get a pick or two right.

it's apparent to me danny did not get into this just to win, but more to run it, which is absolutely his prerogative... that being said, I'd be shocked if he hired a new HC whom he relinquishes personnel decisions to and really only holmgren and cowher come to mind as coaches with the power to demand so...

For the record I still want Zorn here next year, but:

I think Cower would be better than holmgren for the team in the long run, he would clean house and bring back the level of tough play that has been missing here for a while, but don't know if he'd be willing to commit for that long.

If he only signs on for 3 or 4 years he will be able to establish a good foundation but if he leaves i can easily see snyder running it back into the ground. Unfortunatley we would have to take another step backwards for this to work and relearn another entire offense. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as Cower cleans out the high paying players as well.

If he does take the job he should hold open competition for everyone, I honestly don't think Campbell's fried brain could take another new offense, and it would reestablish the concept of putting the BEST players in the position, not giving seniority to players just because they started last year.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting a complete roster of no names next year, guys with no name recognition who just want to play, and play hard. although Danny's marketing department would flip out at such a concept.

Holmgren probably seems more appealing to Snyder because of the amount of interaction we've had with seattle's organization this year, but it seems to be a much bigger risk in terms of panning out.

It certainly would seem appeal to Snyder's "quick fix" philosophy, thinking that Holmgrem is the "missing piece" that can get us to a championship within one or 2 years, but it also seems to have a much bigger downside. While it might advance us further down the path of west coast offense with zorn at the helm and give us incremental sucess, the fact that our division might be to tough for the WCO is still a big issue that did not get difinitively answered this year.

By getting Holmgren, we would be showing consistency, and in all likelyhood probably would not see too much turn over in terms of starters on the lineup next year (besides the lines). Again, this might pan out, but the level our PLAYERS played at this year has left me with serious doubts that they should be the side of the franchise (as opposed to the coaching staff) that gets retained AGAIN.

While we certainly have talented players, they have been through ALOT of systems and this year has shown that they don't necessarily pick up new ones very quickly and if the locker room rumers are true, they aren't particulary supportive to things that don't bring immediate success. Personally i think Holmgren would bring more success, but ultimatley just make us contenders on a slightly higher level than where we are now.

Of the two options, my vote goes to Cowher, but only if he wants to stay long enough to make a real impression. Like someone else said, look how well his team is doing without him there anymore. His system works, but it takes time and needs to begin with a clean slate, which unfortunatley i think includes the starting lineup to a large extent.

Archived