Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowher to Redskins in 2009 Likely?

bulldog

Cowher seemed to indicate last offseason that he didn't want to jump back into coaching until 2009. It appears there will be a number of spots open after the conclusion of the current season. However few of them seem very attractive for Cowher. In comparison the Redskins (assuming Cowher can clearn out the front office) appear in more than one way to be a solid fit.

1. The competition:

Detroit - a habitual losing club in a city with questionable attendance and financials backing the team. not much talent outside of Calvin Johnson.

Cincinnati - another club in a small market that doesn't seem to have the financial resources to lure Cowher or to convince him that a commitment will be made to build talent through FA and resigning key players already on the roster.

Oakland - nobody with a sense of pride is going to take a job working for Al Davis where Davis is calling in plays down to the sideline at age 80. Davis pays the lowest wages in the NFL.

Kansas City -KC is one possibility if Herman Edwards gets the axe. Peterson has resigned but the owner for some reason wants to retain Edwards. While a team that needs to be rebuilt, KC has good attendance, plays in a high profile division with the Broncos and Chargers and the club has shown at times that it will spend money to retain talent.

St. Louis - The Rams don't have a history of paying their coaches well and their frugal approach to FA and resigning their own players doesn't seem to bode well for landing a name coach.

Cleveland - Here is a team with some upside. There is talent on this roster although the current staff hasn't done a very good job of employing it at times. Overall this has been an underachieving franchise. Good fan base and in the same division as the Steelers, Cowher would be 'back home'. The question here is whether Lerner would come across with a contract offer that approximates what Snyder could offer him.

Do we add Jacksonville and Buffalo to this list? At present I think ownership will bring back the current staffs in 2009.

I have trouble seeing the Bengals firing Marvin Lewis. It would put them (Brown) under even more scrutiny.

Hard to imagine Cowher passing up Cleveland or KC if he was given the power he may want. They are obviously the sentimental favorites.

Marty could also end up in KC. He is on good terms with the Hunt family, still.

St. Louis is in ownership purgatory of sorts. That will be an interesting circumstance.

Rumors of Gilbride possibly to Oakland.

who else is going to be looking for a coach?

at one point Minnesota was a possibility but Childress seems to have pulled himself out of the fire.

Green Bay? Seems after one down year McCarthy will get a chance to come back in 2009 and redeem himself.

No one on your list.

But Cleveland has to be calling him sentimentally on some level.

And I'm sure that he'd be interested in coaching a team that plays "his" Steelers twice a year. I'm sure for him it would be great to be able to come back and beat them - not because he is disgruntled, but because he, like all HCs should be, is competetive and wants to do it again.

Word has it here in Cincy Marvin will definitely get the ax. It's sad because the bengals have had terrible ownerships and I don't think Marvin has actually been THAT bad. Not as bad as his record indicates. The owners power and constantly bringing back troubled players or refusing to punish troubled players is his fault. Sadly somones got to take the blame..Marvin

Snyder: 4 years, $30M.

Who is going to match that? :)

The real issue here won't be money. It will be about control.

Cowher has earned the right to buy the groceries AND cook the meal. And you can bet that is going to be a demand he makes.

So, is Snyder willing to give up control and not be able to play with his $1.5 billion toy? He did that once with Marty, and despite an amazing turnaround to end the season, he decided that it wasn't for him.

And honestly, how many of us, after having fulfilled our dream of owning the Washington Redskins, would turn it entirely over to someone else and write ourselves out of the equation entirely? It's something everyone should think about, especially if you just shelled out $1 billion.

Hell, if I spend $50k on a car, nobody's driving it but me.

Gibbs never coached for the Cowboys.

---------------------------------

Not many franchises could pay what you're talking about. I don't see any deep pocket franchises outside of us looking for HC's in the offseason. And it's not secret that Cowher felt slighted when Holmgren got big dough and he didn't.

I still think Cleveland is a wild card for him. But, money talks.

who else is going to be looking for a coach?

at one point Minnesota was a possibility but Childress seems to have pulled himself out of the fire.

Green Bay? Seems after one down year McCarthy will get a chance to come back in 2009 and redeem himself.

San Francisco

Detroit

Cleveland

Oakland

Buffalo

St. Louis

Herm isn't going anywhere, Norv isn't going anywhere, Mangini isn't going anywhere, Seattle has their replacement, Childress is okay, McCarthy is okay.

And honestly, how many of us, after having fulfilled our dream of owning the Washington Redskins, would turn it entirely over to someone else and write ourselves out of the equation entirely? It's something everyone should think about, especially if you just shelled out $1 billion.

Hell, if I spend $50k on a car, nobody's driving it but me.

I wish I could scream, "not me," but that would be a lie.

San Francisco

Detroit

Cleveland

Oakland

Buffalo

St. Louis

Herm isn't going anywhere, Norv isn't going anywhere, Mangini isn't going anywhere, Seattle has their replacement, Childress is okay, McCarthy is okay.

I can't believe that Herm and Norv get passes by their respective owners.

I wonder you if could combine Herm and Norv into some mutated super coach called Nerm. He would consistently get praised and rehired over and over again for coming to teams and destroying them from the inside out.

*steals zoony's car*

I've got onstar beyatch! :)

I wish I could scream, "not me," but that would be a lie.

I think that's true for all of us. Sure we'd want to win, but I think we'd try to find a way to win where we were part of the equation. But who knows, enough years of losing might make us finally just wash our hands of it.

I think Cowher is going to be in Detroit, personally. That organization needs both a GM and a Coach, and Cowher could fill both. Also, and perhaps most importantly, the Ford family wants NOTHING to do with running a team. Nadda. Zilch. And in that respect, Cowher will be a square peg in a square hole.

Hopefully a guy who after ten years of playing with his new toy has finally figured out it's time to let go.

There is a new rumor circulating that Vermeil could be in as a GM or Pres. in KC.

That would rule Marty and Cowher out. Opening the door in Cleveland to Marty.

Zoony's Detroit comment is crazy, IMO.

My Steelers buddy thinks Cowher would take Skins, Boys, or Giants. Nothing else.

I can't believe that Herm and Norv get passes by their respective owners.

I wonder you if could combine Herm and Norv into some mutated super coach called Nerm. He would consistently get praised and rehired over and over again for coming to teams and destroying them from the inside out.

I'm with you, I can't understand why either of them have jobs.

ETA: One thing's for sure, as long as they are coaching, Zorny isn't the worst coach in America.

Archived