Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC - Portis, Zorn Say All Is 'Cool'

Saqs

OP...your dead on about 2 HUGE egos clashing...Thas exacly what it is. CP and Zorn both have heads the size of watermelons. We've known that about Portis since his Denver days. "You all know who the best back in the league is. Dont fool your self."

And Zorn, I mean the guy is an idol in Seattle and everyone in DC VA and MD were fighing to get a slob 5 weeks ago. Hopefully they can put this rift behind them, get the OLine to block cuz thats the main problem, and we can come up with a win against a putrid Bengals team.

I don't think they have two big egos... Just Portis.

Why go on a show and cry to John Thompson as to why you aren't playing a lot.

Portis should have manned up and asked Zorn himself on Monday. It's simple: 11 carries, 32 yards, a fumble that resulted in a TD. I would have been cut from the team/

Take it like a man, Portis.

OP...your dead on about 2 HUGE egos clashing...Thas exacly what it is. CP and Zorn both have heads the size of watermelons. We've known that about Portis since his Denver days. "You all know who the best back in the league is. Dont fool your self."

And Zorn, I mean the guy is an idol in Seattle and everyone in DC VA and MD were fighing to get a slob 5 weeks ago. Hopefully they can put this rift behind them, get the OLine to block cuz thats the main problem, and we can come up with a win against a putrid Bengals team.

You've supported your claim Portis has an ego, but how does Zorn have one?

Portis should not go to the media like this in the future, according to Zorn. Why does Zorn go to the media about his players, yet his players are expected to come to him to talk about it? Jansen finds out through the media that he's benched???

Zorn will answer reports questions about who starts, but Zorn never "bashes" a player in the media. He has criticized the rookies for lack prepardness, but does not bash someone.

Is Portis a fool for not realizing he was playing like doo-doo? Yes. 11 carries, 32 yards and a fumble that was returned for a TD.

Zorn is absolutely right... he shouldn't have to "seek out" Clinton. If CP has an issue, it's on him to go to the coach, not whine in the corner and hope someone sees him like some 13 year old girl at a party.

I agree, I still amused as to why Portis was so confused...

11 carries, 32 yards, a fumble returned for a TD.

Portis... you stunk it up that game. You should be fined for your play.

I did a couple of stints coaching youth football, I have no idea what it would be like coaching a grown man who needs to be coddled like a pre-teen.

I missed the part where he explains why a head coach needs to explain his decisions to him.

Exactly... Portis needs to look at his performance during the game... 11 carries, 32 yards, a fumble returned for a TD...

Well I agree with Zorn as far as Portis should seek him out if he has a problem(not on the radio), not the other way around...but Portis' ego is such that the coach should come find him or explain to him..which is not how many jobs work with an employer/employee. I think both men could have or need to do a better job of communicating and having each other's back...good, bad or indifferent.

Portis needs to man up and stop talking about the coach behind his back. He wants to be treated like a man, then he needs to act like one himself. A real man woulda gone into the coaches office and punched him in the mouth...oh wait Ocho Cinco did that once before and it didn't work out too well for them. Guess Zorn needs to baby Portis like Gibbs did. Problem solved

Oh so Zorn expects Portis to act like a man and not a whiney little ***** and come talk to him directly. HC's have too much to worry about to take a break in the middle of a game to go sooth a player. If Portis was that upset he should've went to Zorn and not the media.

All is cool now they can go on and have a great working relationship just like Lavar and Gibbs. Players who have that much to say will never be "cool' with the coach. It will linger and players will take sides and Danny will then have to make a decision.

It is both there faults for letting this spiral to the press, CP should learn to keep his mouth shut and Zorn better learn quick that Head Coaching isn't just about X's and O's but managing your players personalities as well.

Don't know whether this has been mentioned but Doc suggested the major frustration in Portis came from the fact that it was the "U" playing against each other and lots of "U" members watching the game. To compound the loss, Portis appeared benched. I hadn't thought of that view.

That was a first year head coach mistake. That is your franchise tailback and you have spoken to him about this all year? Zorn let this get out of control. We started losing and Portis was playing less and less and Zorn didn't feel he needed to let a guy like CP know why. No two people are the same and an effective leader knows how to rally ALL the troops. You can't pump up some and leave others under the bus. Zorn did not do a good job of explaining that CP was not losing his job to Betts (who Zorn was talking up because he was actually practicing) and that CP is not the reason the team is losing.

That being said, we will move forward. CP is having a Pro Bowl year so I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about the OL and Zorn's scheme given what he has to work with on the offense.:2cents:

all these people bashing how much yards he got... how much more yards did betts get when he carried the ball. I get irritated by asanine posts... No one was gonna get much yards because there was basically no where to run the ball... Simple as that. When there was some space... then occasionally they got some yards.

I think people would like to imagine that things will be terrible but I actually believe that they got to air out what they needed to air out. Are they gonna be butt buddies right now?...probably not. But I don't see this being a major problem. The only thing I DO see as being a problem is that Zorn swears by his plays.. and I believe the players are not liking his play-calling... In fact.. its not looking so hot to me right now either. He says its mistakes being made and maybe soo.... but it also seems perhaps he could put more effort to also adapt to his players. I know he kept the same running game.. but we seem to be very predictable. And if we look predictable to us fans... imagine how predictable we look to defensive coordinators.

I think its a coaches responsibility to inform a player when his role changes between games. Especially if it goes from playing to not playing and vice versa.

However in this situation, in the heat of the game, its unreasonable for a head coach to explain to Portis why he was "benched". A good assistant would have made time to explain it to him or anyone who's status changed mid-game. I don't really see the advantage of putting in fresh Betts over fresh Portis in any situation. There was something personal going on.

I do understand Portis' frustration about how he is used. I don't understand why/how its so complicated for the Redskins to put him in space to make plays. The running game is still too basic. Bugel is a helluva coach but he should try implementing plays from other teams.

Archived