Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC:Portis Rips Zorn (With Portis transcript)

KingGibbs

This will not end well for anyone. I hope the team can pull through this, but this is very foreboding. I did not bat an eye when Lavar did this, because I knew it was Lavar and Joe Gibbs, but this is different. This is Clinton Portis and Jim Zorn. Clinton Portis never said one bad word about Joe Gibbs. Not one. Even during that one really bad season. I am just shell shocked right now.

Zorn is the head coach of the team and it his RIGHT as head coach to play or not play whom he chooses for whatever reason.

Portis is a great player and I truly believe that he wants to win more than anything. But he has a responsibility to his team and coach to verbalize his displeasure in a more private and less calamitous setting.

Forget the quotes for a second. I understand Portis is unhappy. But for God's sake, keep it in the locker room.

Ok, so quick set of questions:

1. Do you ever thing this would happen to a Gibbs team? (Hint: no matter what you think of Gibbs, it never did.)

2. Who's ready for "It's all of us together, and it starts with me."

You know, Gibbs only once had a team at 7-6 in his second stint, in 2005, and they had to win 2 from 5-6 to get there. He never lost his team. Ever. Didn't matter what anybody said about anything, he always had the team, he managed the players and egos better than anyone. He always took all of the blame, rightfully or wrongfully, and never said anything bad about anybody. "Fought their guts out." Player screws up: "I hate it for him. He knows, and hates it also."

Zorn doesn't seem like he knows how to do that yet. He better learn fast, or he's going to be shipped out of here so fast his head will be spinning.

And note to Portis: SHUT THE HELL UP.

I'm backing Portis 100%

Jim Zorn is starting to sound like Norv Turner after every lose, it's always the same excuse and he never fixes the problem. Even Norv wouldn't bench his starting RB

I'm not backing what Portis did. That is, honestly, inexcusable. Not saying that he doesn't have a point. But you can't say that NOW, with three games left and at 7-6. It just draws attention away from what's important.

I was a big Zorn fan.

I'm still a fan.

But Portis is this effing franchise, and, to me, what he says goes. You don't pick your new friend over your best friend. Sorry, Jim. Get on Portis's good side or get off the sidelines. I'm not saying make him like you; I'm saying make him respect you.

Since WHEN did ANY player become bigger than the Washington Redskins?

That's Snyder thinking, and it stinks!

Hail.

I was a big Zorn fan.

I'm still a fan.

But Portis is this effing franchise, and, to me, what he says goes. You don't pick your new friend over your best friend. Sorry, Jim. Get on Portis's good side or get off the sidelines. I'm not saying make him like you; I'm saying make him respect you.

That's how I feel.

Normally, when something like this happens....someone has to go...the coach or the players.

99.9% of the time, the coach is the one to go....this time, I think it's the players that need to go.

If our "core" has Super Bowl rings on their fingers, then maybe I'd side with them. But in this instance, if they can't play for Zorn....then THEY need to hit the road, not the coach.

If Zorn has "lost the team," then the only way he can get them back is by sticking around.

Let's not forget that CP absolutely DESTROYED Gibbs on 980 following the 2006 season-- totally threw him under the bus.

Sometimes "keeping it real" is just keeping it real stupid.

I appreicate it' date=' and I understand all the players think they're being told different things and seem to be doubting Zorn, but again, where is the Zorn throwing CP under the bus to the media everyone's talking about? [b']When did Zorn call out Portis or anyone else through the media?[/b]

He called out the rookie WRs (I was happy about this one). He has called out Campbell on many occassions. He has called out his own assistant coaches. He deflects responsibility all the time. Not once has he said "I need to do a better job of play calling"

honestly, say what you want about me now but, i think portis is being a little bit of a whining *****.... its zorn's call not his so he should deal with it... its about the intrest of the team not him

The interest of the team is to win! And you can't win games against good teams by benching the best player you have on your offense. Joe Gibbs knew how to use Portis, and never had any problems out of him. Maybe Zorn should get off his perfect self and realize his offense isn't working. Make some changes, adjustments, and start using players strength"s, instead of what he thinks will work, and obviously isn't.

You specifically said Portis needs to shut up...and my response is, why is it ok for Zorn to openly criticize players without the players responding.

Zorn is the one who first took his comments to the media...something he should never have done.

Is Zorn not considered a supposed leader on this team?

portis does need to shut up and if he has a problem with anything zorn said, he should approach zone, not the media... zorn is a rookie coach making rookie mistakes (publicly blaming players for 100% of plays that did not succeed) and nothing would be more appropriate than for a captain of the team to address him about that... but I guess it's too much to ask of a 6 year vet and leader of the team to put his ego aside and handle this privately..

Maybe I should have heard the actual interview. Seems a bit light on real criticism of the coaches., but I expect that the organization will have to respond in some fashion. I'm sure the cursing spiced it up a bit. Is a suspension looming?

The organizational response will be a great indicator of Zorn's status as Danny's boy.

I was going to give you the link but ESPN 980 decided not to put it up quiet yet. They have links to all of the other shows from today but no Thompson Show. hmmmm...

http://www.espn980.com/audiovault/

I'm not backing what Portis did. That is, honestly, inexcusable. Not saying that he doesn't have a point. But you can't say that NOW, with three games left and at 7-6. It just draws attention away from what's important.

I totaly agree he should have done it in another way, but the fact is he should have done it. It's time for Jim Zorn to be accountable for HIS team, instead of pointing his finger at players who already proved they can get it done, and get into the playoffs.

He called out the rookie WRs (I was happy about this one). He has called out Campbell on many occassions. He has called out his own assistant coaches. He deflects responsibility all the time. Not once has he said "I need to do a better job of play calling"

That's not entirely true now is it? He's said in his Monday presser a few times lately that EVERYONE needs to look at what there doing and find a way to correct this.

And please forgive a Head Coach for pointing out when his players aren't doing there jobs on a continued basis. If that comes under "calling them out", then so be it. I guess that falls under the Extremeskins Homer code of NEVER saying anything derogatory against the Redskins, however justified.

Why don't we just give Clinton's whiny ass the coaching job as well? Seeing as any time a Coach has the nerve to lay down the law, he's in the wrong with the team's "superstar."

Hail.

Guys, this is all an act...like his past Thursday costume routines. This type of **** sells, Portis likes to act either way it's all good for business....Snyder is well aware and probably encourages it..Right now they are either reading the boards or watching tV laughing there asses off at how some made up bull**** got the herd a stirring!

Normally, when something like this happens....someone has to go...the coach or the players.

99.9% of the time, the coach is the one to go....this time, I think it's the players that need to go.

If our "core" has Super Bowl rings on their fingers, then maybe I'd side with them. But in this instance, if they can't play for Zorn....then THEY need to hit the road, not the coach.

If Zorn has "lost the team," then the only way he can get them back is by sticking around.

Let's not forget that CP absolutely DESTROYED Gibbs on 980 following the 2006 season-- totally threw him under the bus.

Sometimes "keeping it real" is just keeping it real stupid.

Zorn doesn't strike me as a leader. The bottom line in football is people, convincing the people to play for you as hard as they can. I'm not sure that Zorn is capable of that.

I'm also not convinced that this whole "scheme" thing that he keeps reffering to is even that great. He constantly deflects critisim and blames it on execution of the players without taking any of this upon himself.

Also whats not to say that Portis hasn't tried airing this to Zorn and Zorn just has no answer? Everyone is quick to jump on Portis but look at this from both sides and reflect upon that.

Maybe Zorn is just not a good coach and was a bad hire. I

Great points made by all. I don't disagree with any of the Zorn or CP supporters. The only thing I disagree with is that (OK I disagree with something) Zorn lets Portis decide whether he'll practice or not so that he's fresh on game day . You can't change that thinking in the middle of the game and revert to the "Well you don't practice you don't play strategy". I'm just throwing this out there that since he had been doing it for about four weeks he should have let CP finish out that game and said this is the way it's going to be from here on out...No practice, no play.

The only other player I can think of that could get away with that and I'm sure there were many more was Deion Sanders. I don't think he's lost the team but I think there are going to be more guys wanting to take advantage of the quote unquote CP rule:doh:

Since WHEN did ANY player become bigger than the Washington Redskins?

That's Snyder thinking, and it stinks!

Hail.

What board do you think this is? People constantly hold players in higher regards than the franchise.

I remember a thread on how Portis wasn't a good teamate. For some reason, it got locked. Seems like Warren Sapp was right to me. He'll help you win, but you don't want to hang out with Portis after the game.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=266189&highlight=warren+sapp

Seeing as Portis' best days are probably behind him, and the Skins didn't go anywhere with him, I wouldn't mind seeing him gone. It'll never happen, though.

Zorn doesn't strike me as a leader. The bottom line in football is people, convincing the people to play for you as hard as they can. I'm not sure that Zorn is capable of that.

I'm also not convinced that this whole "scheme" thing that he keeps reffering to is even that great. He constantly deflects critisim and blames it on execution of the players without taking any of this upon himself.

Also whats not to say that Portis hasn't tried airing this to Zorn and Zorn just has no answer? Everyone is quick to jump on Portis but look at this from both sides and reflect upon that.

Maybe Zorn is just not a good coach and was a bad hire. I

For the sake of argument GSG, let's say that's true, and Coach Zorn isn't the man and is a bad hire.

All well and good, but while he's still in possession of the job, he's still the one IN CHARGE, and should be respected thus.

Clinton likes to talk about himself as a leader. Leaders don't openly attack their Head Coach in public in a tawdry fashion. He might well be pissed he sat the second half Sunday, but you respect the Coach, suck up your own personal disappointment, and take it for the good of the team. The HC HAS to have the final say, if you agree or not, or else what's the point in having him to start with?

Regardless of whether Zorns "the Man", so long as he's in the job, Clinton needs to shut his whiny ass up and understand that it's NOT all about him and his freaking ego, great a player as he is when he plays, and accept what his Head Coach says and decides to do.

Players PLAY, Coaches COACH!

Hail.

Archived