Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Redskins/Ravens seriously just become a rivalry?

TheGoodBits

All we heard all week was negative comments and dumb insults about the Redskins from Ravens fans. They also were talking up the idea that there is some great rivalry between the two teams. And we put up with it because we all know it's just Baltimoron fans and their inferiority complex.

But then they beat us on Sunday night... And as the camera panned over all their fans' happy little faces, one feeling came to me that in football terms I usually reserve for Philly and Dallas.

At that point I absolutely hated the Ravens and their fanbase, nearly as much as I do Philly and Dallas, and slightly more than I do the Giants.

Before the game, the only rivalry was Baltimore fans talking **** because they wished they had a team like us. Most of our fans didn't care one bit about the Ravens. All I can think of now, however, is how I want to get back and play them again so we can crush the life out of them...

So I ask, did Baltimore beating us on Sunday actually create a real, genuine rivalry between the two teams and their fanbases?

It was a rivalry for one night in my opinion...while i was up in Bmore I didnt receive any negative energy from Ratbirds fans...they didnt seem to show any hatred to me or any of the guys I was with.

I could care less about them and for that one night i despised them but overall I really wasnt as pissed as I thought i would be...not sure why. Maybe cuz their fans were so nice to us? I dont know. AFC teams dont really boil my blood and the fact we dont see them again for years kindof just makes them "blah" to me.

Im in a sour mood today/this week...not because of who we lost to but just because its another LOSS and the snowball effect of this trainwreck part of the season isnt going away.

Its tough to even look forward to the Bengals game...just cuz im in such a foul mood. Even if we win the game it really doesnt matter...the Eagles game is the only game on my radar right now even though its 2 weeks away.

It was a rivalry for one night in my opinion...while i was up in Bmore I didnt receive any negative energy from Ratbirds fans...they didnt seem to show any hatred to me or any of the guys I was with.

I could care less about them and for that one night i despised them but overall I really wasnt as pissed as I thought i would be...not sure why. Maybe cuz their fans were so nice to us? I dont know. AFC teams dont really boil my blood and the fact we dont see them again for years kindof just makes them "blah" to me.

Im in a sour mood today/this week...not because of who we lost to but just because its another LOSS and the snowball effect of this trainwreck part of the season isnt going away.

Its tough to even look forward to the Bengals game...just cuz im in such a foul mood. Even if we win the game it really doesnt matter...the Eagles game is the only game on my radar right now even though its 2 weeks away.

Yeah I see what you're saying... hopefully this little stage of me hating the Ravens passes. Everyone else seems to be in the pre-Sunday mindset again, so there's hope!

Unless the NFL moves to a 17 or 18 game schedule (to allow for overseas games without costing teams a "home" game), I don't see this becoming a big rivalry. The extra game or two would allow regional rivalries as in the past: Philly/Pittsburgh, Arizona/Dallas (old NFC east deal from when the Cards were in St. Louis), NYG/NYJ and Wash/Balt. There'd be others of course, but some might be artificially generated just to fill out the schedule (as in TB/Miami, for instance).

Think about it this way, how can it mean much when we only play them every 4th year? Yes, we see them in scrimmages and/or preseason, but that really doesn't mean anything.

So I ask, did Baltimore beating us on Sunday actually create a real, genuine rivalry between the two teams and their fanbases?

Depends on how you define "real and genuine rivaly".

I wish we played them every year b/c someday we're going to need to beat them if we ever want regional bragging rights.

Depends on how you define "real and genuine rivaly".

I wish we played them every year b/c someday we're going to need to beat them if we ever want regional bragging rights.

You're not kidding! I hate the prospect of them holding this game over us until next time we beat them, which could be awhile since we don't play that often.

From what I understand, the old Baltimore Colts fans had a mild disliking for Redskins fans because of proximity. It grew to a hatred when the Colts left Baltimore and thats when the Redskins were doing great and winning championships.

If anything it's more of a fan rivalry and it's the Baltimore fans that care about it more. Yes, we only play each other every four years but it's more about Marylanders having bragging rights at work because everyone is pretty evenly distributed.

I dont think its a rivalry. I don't like the Ravens but i dont have the hatred towards them like i do for any of our nfc east foes. They can hate us all they want but its a non conference foe at the end of the day. We don't play them enough to really hate them.

Not a rivalry. They see it as one because they are the little brother of the areas true team. We don't play 'em enough to have a rivalry. I will root for them if it helps us out, meaning when they play NFC teams specifically NFC East. They are not a rivalry, they can hope one will emerge but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The SeaHawks and Raiders was/is a bigger rivalry. Seriously, I consider Tampa bay or the SeaHawks more of a rivalry. The Ravens are going to remeber that game like it was a playoff game or something. Annoying bunch of raven fans. They think Comcast will stop showing more redskin shows because they beat the skins. Ha ha, that will never happen

Old shool Baltimore Colts fans really shouldn't have any reason to hate the Redskins as the Colts were far superior to the Skins for most of the 34 seasons the teams co-existed in the region.

new school Ravens fans hate the Skins b/c they blame JKC for blocking expansion and relocation to Baltimore during the league's 12 year absence from charm city.

The fact that we won two SBs while they didn't have a team probably doesn't sit well w/them either.

You're all delusional.

Maybe not a rivalry among teams, but you cannot sit there and tell me you don't hate Ravens fans.

I don't hate the ravens, I like the way the team plays. They're underdogs just like us. Its not a pretty team that wins with a hall of fame QB throwing for 5 TDs, Like the Pats or Cowboys. No, there is no hate. Just a bunch of annoying raven fans

I hate Ravens fans...but my hate consists of so many Eagles, Cowboys and Giants fans....they fuel my hatred of teams. The Ravens are a once a 4 year usage of hatred, since we dont play them often it gets watered down...this past week and perhaps this year my hatred level was up cuz but now its gone just like that. They arent really an active blip on my radar screen anymore and the hatred toward Bmore will take a backseat bigtime til 2011 or whenever it is we play them again.

Now if we got put in the same division as them somehow and played them 2x a year I'd probably grow to hate them more than Dallas.

From what I understand, the old Baltimore Colts fans had a mild disliking for Redskins fans because of proximity. It grew to a hatred when the Colts left Baltimore and thats when the Redskins were doing great and winning championships.

If anything it's more of a fan rivalry and it's the Baltimore fans that care about it more. Yes, we only play each other every four years but it's more about Marylanders having bragging rights at work because everyone is pretty evenly distributed.

Also add to this that when the Baltimore Colts left for Indy The NFL started showing alot of Redskins games on the B-more tv stations because they were only 30 miles down the road . When bids were put out for exspanion B-more was snubbed by the NFL for Carolina and Jacksoville. The NFL Comissioner at that time said that Washington and B-more were one marketed area and was big enough for the Redskins . JKC also had a slight hand in keeping B-ore from getting one of those exspanion teams. B-more fans hated being forced to watch Redskin games every week .

Thus the hatred toward our Redskins and rivalry that they ( Baltimorons )have dreamed up

Myself , I was born in B-more, as a child I was a Colt fan and a Redskin fan

There are many reasons why the Colts left but i could never blame Washington for B-mores loss . I hate the b-more fans and the Ravens , they are no better then any owner or city that has stole another cities team but it was ok for them to do it to Cleveland :rolleyes:

I don't hate the ravens' date=' I like the way the team plays. They're underdogs just like us. Its not a pretty team that wins with a hall of fame QB throwing for 5 TDs, Like the Pats or Cowboys. No, there is no hate. Just a bunch of annoying raven fans[/quote']

Couldn't tell if you were agreeing with me or not, but I was distinctly talking about the fans. The team is fine with me, but the fans...

Archived