Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn Article Bubba Just posted

G-Prime

Here's the link to Bubba's. There are some very telling things in there.

Our Offensive line got beat for a sack, by a two man rush.. A TWO MAN ****ING RUSH ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!

Portis trying to stay in to provide protection against a 4 man rush.. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!.

This line should be ashamed of itself.. Never in a millions is there ANY excuse for 2 men beating 5 men. Ever. Never. If that happens those 5 people need to retire. That's disgusting!

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=274282

OOops sorry guys dunno what happened

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/jim_zorn_-_the_rest_of_the_pre.html#more

Click link for entire article

Zorn on Portis, Protection and Campbell

For much of the second half of the Redskins' game Sunday night in Baltimore, the NFL's third-leading rusher was stuck on the sidelines, obviously miffed. Coach Jim Zorn said today that he didn't have any heart-to-heart talks with Portis and understands why many players would be naturally frustrated after getting physically abused by the Ravens on national TV.

"Everybody was mad," Zorn said.

With Portis missing so much practice time with a bevy of injuries that left him "whole body sore," he said last week and not being involved in the preparation for the heavy pass protection and route running responsibilities that running backs would carry against Baltimore's aggressive blitz, Zorn felt it made more sense to have fullback Mike Sellers help on protection. He wanted to get Ladell Betts -- who has better hands and runs tighter routes -- more involved.

And once the Redskins fell behind 14-0 and had to chase the game through the air in the second half, Zorn said it made even more sense to stick with Betts, given how important he is in the screen game. After Betts got a few series in the third quarter, the coaches "felt like he was doing just fine," Zorn said. Recently, Portis's injuries have affected the passing game, Zorn also, and he was "trying to do too much" to help in pass protection even at times against just a four-man rush. That meant he was failing to get into position to get the ball.

"He wasn't getting out in the passing game," Zorn said.

Zorn said Portis, who isn't available to the media until later in the week, is still "the bell cow" and he expects him to be healthier and very active Sunday at Cincinnati. (On his last trip to Bengals-land for a preseason game in 2006, Portis partially dislocated his shoulder, an injury that marred his season.)

(It seems to me that Portis's lack of second-gear explosion remains an issue, too. He has had just one carry over 30 yards all season, and if your game plan calls for running like a jackhammer and grinding it out, then getting Betts more involved makes sense. It's especially important given Portis's condition after running more than any in the NFL at the halfway point of the season).

Zorn cut to the quick about the horrendous pass protection that has doomed his offense. He admitted that against the last four quality opponents -- Pittsburgh, Dallas, the New York Giants and Baltimore -- his offensive line was overwhelmed, He was particularly bothered by a play Sunday night on which his club surrendered a sack against a "two-man rush," with just the ends blitzing. Tight end Chris Cooley was open in the end zone, but Jason Campbell didn't have enough time to execute a decent five-step drop. Zorn said it made him cringe just to recall it.

"We have to shore up our problems on the offensive line," Zorn said, in the understatement of the day.

Zorn said he sees no signs that his team is quitting or "packing it in," adding that it was physically overmatched at times but gave a full effort. As for what he has to say to the team, Zorn pointed to pictures: "The video tells a great story," he said, in terms of where players must improve.

As for Campbell, Zorn said he thought that overall the QB "did pretty good." Zorn told Campbell to brace for a physical beating, and said he was "very proud of how he took the punishment."

He was particularly bothered by a play Sunday night on which his club surrendered a sack against a "two-man rush," with just the ends blitzing. Tight end Chris Cooley was open in the end zone, but Jason Campbell didn't have enough time to execute a decent five-step drop. Zorn said it made him cringe just to recall it.

WTF? You mean to tell me that there was nowhere to sidestep or step up with a two end rush?????

Does anyone have video or screencaps of this? Or maybe PGH will cover this. What the hell.

WTF? You mean to tell me that there was nowhere to sidestep or step up with a two end rush?????

Does anyone have video or screencaps of this? Or maybe PGH will cover this. What the hell.

Well if I'm in the pocket, and I see that the Ravens are only rushing two, and I see that the right tackle and right guard have the guy in my face covered pretty well, I'm probably thinking to myself "okay, I have some time here. Let's go through the progress-"

And then I can't even finish my thought because a banged up Samuels just got beaten by another speed rush and I'm on my face wondering why this is happening.

Anyone thought about firing Bugel?

Maybe he's over the hill. It happens to everyone.

The team drafts two third round offensive linemen since 1999 and somehow, this is Bugel's fault? The front office then lets one of those two go? I know it's hard to believe, but offensive line coaches don't stand in line to get them at the Big and Tall Men's store. You have to either draft them or (not as good) bring them in through free agency.

Bugel can't manufacture linemen. He has to have some talent to start with. UDFA's are not big on talent or they would have been drafted. But that's all that Bugel has had to work with. Heyer, Geisinger, Clark are all UDFA's. Samuels was drafted in 1999 (first round), Jansen in 1998 (second round). The only other quality OLinemen drafted (quality = first three rounds) were Dockery in 2003 and Rinehart last year. And that's it. Compare that with New England who has drafted 8 during the same timeframe. Baltimore and Atlanta have drafted as many in the last two years as we have in the last 8. And look, these teams 'suddenly' have an offense.

The only way to a better offense is to get a better offensive line. If you want to get a better offensive line - draft them. There are occasionally good pickups in free agency, but you're usually getting someone for very high pay and someone on the downhill side of his career. When you draft a guy in the first two rounds, they're usually still playing for you 8 to 10 years later. (See Samuels and Jansen).

Your idea of firing someone has merit. You're just looking in the wrong place. Re-think your idea to look for the people who decided to cripple the offense by never drafting OL.

Buges is probably the one responsible for the line being as good as it is.

For those who remember the line as it stood in 2003 and what he did with the same personnel in 2004 wouldn't be asking this question.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/jim_zorn_-_the_rest_of_the_pre.html#more

Click link for entire article

"Zorn told Campbell to brace for a physical beating, and said he was "very proud of how he took the punishment."

What does that statement tell you?

Jason, don't rely on our offensive line to give you any protection because they are not capable of doing what they get paid to do. I must be missing something here?

How can Zorn make a statement like that to his QB and expect him to perform admirably under pressure? If the line is the problem start doing something about now.

I would think about it for the opposite reason. He is such a good coach that he's masking how bad the line really is. He is also very dedicated to his players which makes it hard to change guys he's been with out. Take for instance Jansen, Heyer should be in there gaining experience. He certainly can't do any worse.

:2cents:

I don't know...maybe you're right...all I know is the hogs would've never stood for this crap! The O-line right now is...to be kin.. in need of improvement.

Would kill for Russ Grimm, but I think this might be a step in the wrong direction for him..

Oh come on. A QB shouldn't ahve to side step or anything on a two man rush.

Archived