Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open your own bar

Spaceman Spiff

I'm not sure how far you live from Northern VA, but if you're ever around here you should go to the Old Brogue in Great Falls. Irish pub, exactly what you've described.

Ah, cool! I am not terribly far from NoVa, living in central Maryland, so I may have to stop by and visit that place at some time. Thanks for the tip.

Very simple honky tonk like bar that plays Rock and Blues. Live music at night. Oh and the place would serve bar b que. ( some good smoked brisket Texas style, or pork either North Carolina or Memphis style. )

The place would have wood floors, and a nice deck overlooking a big spread of water, either a large Lake or Ocean/Gulf of Mexico.

Good food, good music and a dance floor to keep my patrons thirsty. Hey, it's a winning combination in my book.

Ideal Bar.

I would like make a 3 tiered establishment.

1st level, for the college kids to have the time of their life, beer pong tables, card tables for drinking games, beer bongs from the ceiling (you put in money and push a botton and said beer is dispensed automatically into the bong), hookah/O2 bar. Live DJs every night, special cheap shots every night and special events every night.

2nd floor, traditional pub atmosphere, live bands on the weekends, 32 ounce drafts for 4 bucks every day, beer glasses kept chilled, and cheap pitchers of beer.

3rd floor. Straight up lounge, low key atmosphere. Couches and lounge chairs to sip on your ****tails and martinis all night, light jazz music and live jazz bands on the weekend

I would open a pub with my friends and siblings. We would each be assigned certain jobs based on our personalities. For example, there would be such jobs as Brains, Face, Muscle, Wildcard, and Useless Chick.

The place would be dirty, smelly, and empty most of the time. It would get horrible local reviews. Somehow, it would do enough business to remain open.

Staff would basically just sit around all day, drink, and come up with ludicrous schemes to get rich.

Ah, that would be the life.

Alright here's my idea:

1st off, to get the best employees, offer reduced prices to restaurant workers (bring in paystub and get a membership card for it) because restaurant workers tip WELL, so everyone would want to work there for the tips.

2nd - No server tables, go to the bar to get everything, just you and the bartenders, kitchen would have 1 cook on at a time.

3rd - CHEAP domestic beer on tap (like Miller Lite or Bud Light) something like $2/pint all day every day.

4th - Wide variety of microbrews (like 40 or 50), although small quantity (about 6-12 bottles of random microbrews, customers know this, so if we say we're out of it, they won't question it, when we get down to 2 bottles, we order another case)

5th - At least one of each variety of beer on tap... (1 Wheat, Porter, Lager, Stout, Hefe, Bock, Pilsner, and 4 taps for seasonals) Never 2 of the same kegs in the cooler, when one goes, switch to another until that keg is out... Once again, customers would be familiar with this rule so they won't be mad when Shiner Bock runs out and we switch to Amber Bock. (except Guinness because that's nitrogen and it'd be hard to find a variety to switch)

6th - House liquor would be most places' mid range, wide variety of liquors.

7th - NO BLENDED DRINKS

8th - HDTV's everywhere with enough satellites to show every game and TV's with PIP that would be activated on gamedays.

9th - No karaoke, I want a place that the music is just loud enough to not be able to listen to other people's conversations, but still be able to talk with the person sitting next to you comfortably. Jukebox is iffy, I'd rather have a music system that can be programmed with custom songs so that nobody can put $20 into the jukebox to play 4 hours of straight country/rap/metal/rock whatever... It needs to be a variety.

10 - Comfortable places to sit... Like strip club chairs, oversized, cushy, but maybe a little bit higher than normal.

11 - A tracking system for "customers" which keeps track of what beers they've had, when they've drank 100 or so different beers, they'd get a gift certificate or a plaque on the wall. This would also allow the bartenders to know the guests name without having to ask them, which would make them feel important... (I know I like it when the bartender says "How have you been Dave" rather than, "Oh you're back? Cool")

I think that's it...

Except I'd want the interior to be molded and formed like a cave, so you would feel like you are entering an underground cavern, with several side-rooms going from the main club area - corridors with tables, "chill out" areas and such.

I don't know if it's still there or not, but there was a place called 'Rocks' in VA Beach that was like that. I've loved that idea/look ever since seeing it back around '92.

I like themed restaurants and bars. I went to this bar/restaurant in Mesa, Arizona a few weeks ago called Uncle Bear's Grill and Bar (http://unclebearsgrillandbar.com/) and it was really cool. It's named after the owner's dog, Uncle Bear, and peanuts are served in dog dishes, there are pictures of dogs all over the walls, and it has a country/woodsy feel to it. It was pretty sweet.

Archived