Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have a Better Defense than The Ravens

Chiefinonhaze

I don't like the Ravens at all, but living where I do, I've watched them quite a bit. I'd say they have 2 major advantages defensively over us. One, is pressure on the QB. They get at the passer, plain and simple. Second, they have a knack for making game breaking plays on defense. Ed Reed comes to mind. That guy just knows how to take it to the house. Skins D is solid, but I cannot say ours is better.

Eh - we're both in the top ten. The Ravens are allowing 12.5 less rushing yards per game. I think the biggest and most obvious distinction is their ability to pressure the QB. Sack numbers aside, which as a whole may be negligible, the toll taken on the QB when they are hit and pressured throughout a game is definitely something that should be taken into account.

I would love to have Suggs also...

I'll have to disagree with the OP. As mentioned by others, they are far more capable of the important things such as creating turnovers, scoring points on those turnovers, pressuring the QB, they haven't given up a 100 YD rusher in God knows how long and they are very disciplined.

Another good measuring stick would be success on stopping 3rd and 4th down. They have a 70% success rate on 3rd down and we have a 63% success rate. On 4th down they have a sick 92% success rate and we only have a 38% success rate.

Our defensive philosophy on defense is bend, but don't break. Their philosophy is bend and break your ass. I love our defense, but I'm not going to swim in the river of denial.

I think this is one of those examples where not everything can be quantified in statistics. They've definitely compiled their rankings against weaker defenses, but if you watch both of our D's play there's no question who's better. Their playmakers and their abilities to create havoc alter opponents gameplans. Ours just keeps teams out of the end zone.

I have always liked the Ravens defense. Today I was thinking, man the Ravens really have a crazy defense. Then, I heard Blache, Cooley, and a few other players say, "this defense is the best in football." This got me thinking...Are they really the "best" in football???

I then took a look at their schedule. These are the rankings of the offenses the've faced this year.

32nd bengals

27th browns

24th steelers

18th titans

22nd Colts

9th Dolphins

29th Raiders

27th Browns

5th Texans

4th Giants

7th Eagles

32nd Bengals

They have played so many botttom ten offenses its ridiculous.:doh: Not to mention, a few offenses have shredded the Ravens as welll this year. Colts had 340 total yards and 31 points on them. Cleveland scored 27 on them. The Giants had 350 yards 30 points.

We haven't given up more than 24 points all year on defense. Don't get me wrong, the Ravens are a top 10 defense for sure. But they are not the 2000 ravens defense, and nowhere near that.

Just for comparison, here's the offenses we've played.

Giants 4th

Saints 1st

Cardinals 3rd

Dallas 8th

Philly 7th

Rams 28th

Browns 27th

Lions 30th

Steelers 24th

Dallas 8th

Seattle 31st

Giants 4th

The biggest difference is t he Ravens offense takes advantage when their defense gives them a short field. It's hard to imagine our offense putting up any more than 10-14 points. If that is the case even if our Defense does what they have most of the year we will lose 17-10. Statistics and/or who the other team has played does not matter if we lose this week.

I think a lot of Ravens "smash mouth" is as much as every other good defense has.

are the Ravens more hard hitting than the Steelers? Giants?

they are nowhere near the same D they once were. Giving up over twenty something points over the Browns? Gimme a break.

I dont care how hard you tackle. This game is won by points (we know better than anyone else) and the fact that they give up points just tells me they aren't as good as percieved.

I think a lot of Ravens "smash mouth" is as much as every other good defense has.

are the Ravens more hard hitting than the Steelers? Giants?

they are nowhere near the same D they once were. Giving up over twenty something points over the Browns? Gimme a break.

I dont care how hard you tackle. This game is won by points (we know better than anyone else) and the fact that they give up points just tells me they aren't as good as percieved.

Can somebody translate this for me?

Well, I did this in hopes of backing up the OP, but I don't think it turned out that way. Look @ like opponents and yards allowed:

Washington vs. Cleveland - 236 yards allowed

Baltimore vs. Cleveland - 169, 274 (average = 221.5)

Washington vs. Pittsburgh - 224

Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh - 237

Washington vs. New York Giants - 354, 404 (average = 379)

Baltimore vs. NYG - 353

Washington vs. Philly - 254

Baltimore vs. Philly - 206

So we faired better against Pittsburgh (but we all know how that game really went), and they did better against the others. So, I'm gonna have to say their defense is better. And I'm not even looking at turnovers and sacks........

There's no need to argue anything.

This is just like last week, when there were threads saying Eli isn't that good of a QB, and we should be able to handle him.

It's just ludicris.

Such a negative nancy, have some hope, believe in our skins. If not get the **** out and become a cowgurls fan for ****s sake.

Basically the way I see it...we have a better secondary, they have better Linebackers...and our D-Lines are both on par.

Are those the rankings of the teams when the Ravens/Redskins actually played them or the ranking of the teams as they sit now? A lot can change over the course of a few games.

Both the Skins' defense and the Ravens' defense are stout, play well vs. the run and have the ability neutalize an opponent's passing attack...the one major difference is that the Ravens have playmakers. They not only routinely come up with the turnovers that are theirs to take but often times score with those turnovers.

Such a negative nancy, have some hope, believe in our skins. If not get the **** out and become a cowgurls fan for ****s sake.

Basically the way I see it...we have a better secondary, they have better Linebackers...and our D-Lines are both on par.

Negative sir. Their defensive line is way superior to ours. They have a helluva pass rush and their good against the run. That game against the Giants was a fluke for them.

Our LB cores are pretty close to each other. They may have a edge their.

Our secondary is leaps and bounds above theirs, especially at CB. When it comes to safety, we're pretty close.

Really, anyone who wants to think our defene is better is just fooling themselves. I know a lot of you need to hype yourselves up before a game because the actual game is damn depressing but let's try to stand grounded in reality. Their defense is better than ours.

However, it's not stats that win games, it's match ups and thats where we may win.

We are gonna see a great defense this weekend. We are a fundamentally sound defense that because of an absolutely horrendous pash rush cannot afford to make a single mistake in the back 7. We have weaknesses that can be exploited. Just ask Eli Manning. The Ravens defense is significantly better than ours. We will see that Sunday night in the 3rd straight nationally televised ass kicking our team is going to take.

Negative sir. Their defensive line is way superior to ours. They have a helluva pass rush and their good against the run. That game against the Giants was a fluke for them.

Our LB cores are pretty close to each other. They may have a edge their.

Our secondary is leaps and bounds above theirs, especially at CB. When it comes to safety, we're pretty close.

Really, anyone who wants to think our defene is better is just fooling themselves. I know a lot of you need to hype yourselves up before a game because the actual game is damn depressing but let's try to stand grounded in reality. Their defense is better than ours.

Secondary wise, as long as we don't put smoot in coverage again I think we'll be fine.

However, it's not stats that win games, it's match ups and thats where we may win.

Uh lets look at stats here. Who on there D-Line has made a huge impact t his year? Who on there D-Line has more than 1 sack? Exactly. There LBs are the ones that get the sacks and get there defense moving. I'll agree that our CBs are a ****ton better than theres, and I think as horton gets more playing time we'll definitely have a better tandem at saftey.

However, they KILL us at lineback. One because they have ray lewis, who know only is a ****ing great player, but a really good motivater. Two they have Terrell Suggs, who is fast as all hell. Comparing them to our guys...Fletch can match up with Lewis I suppose..but Rocky still has to learn the game more. That and Marcus has been hurt all year.

As long as we don't have smoot covering anyone we'll be alright.

LOL. Hey McFly? They have given up fewer points then we have.

BTW. Watch your threats there, boy.

Hey McSTFU

vs clevland? vs giants? I'm talking about pts vs. common opponents since clearly they've had an easier schedule.

BTW.. watch the way you respond to someones initial posts... "can someone translate this to me?" is just a "nicer" way of trying to call me a dumb@$$

and i wasnt threatening you. I was mearly asking someone else to smack you in the face. with your smart@$$ attitude it seems like you need some dicipline.

Hey McSTFU

vs clevland? vs giants? I'm talking about pts vs. common opponents since clearly they've had an easier schedule.

BTW.. watch the way you respond to someones initial posts... "can someone translate this to me?" is just a "nicer" way of trying to call me a dumb@$$

and i wasnt threatening you. I was mearly asking someone else to smack you in the face. with your smart@$$ attitude it seems like you need some dicipline.

LOL. Little insecure are we?

If running and throwing the ball for lots of yardage most likely equals scoring points, then isn't it be great that we stop those things? I'm not on either side here but it would seem that not letting teams get down the field is more important than sacking their quarterback (which may or may not result in a turnover).

Archived