Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have a Better Defense than The Ravens

Chiefinonhaze

I have always liked the Ravens defense. Today I was thinking, man the Ravens really have a crazy defense. Then, I heard Blache, Cooley, and a few other players say, "this defense is the best in football." This got me thinking...Are they really the "best" in football???

I then took a look at their schedule. These are the rankings of the offenses the've faced this year.

32nd bengals

27th browns

24th steelers

18th titans

22nd Colts

9th Dolphins

29th Raiders

27th Browns

5th Texans

4th Giants

7th Eagles

32nd Bengals

They have played so many botttom ten offenses its ridiculous.:doh: Not to mention, a few offenses have shredded the Ravens as welll this year. Colts had 340 total yards and 31 points on them. Cleveland scored 27 on them. The Giants had 350 yards 30 points.

We haven't given up more than 24 points all year on defense. Don't get me wrong, the Ravens are a top 10 defense for sure. But they are not the 2000 ravens defense, and nowhere near that.

Just for comparison, here's the offenses we've played.

Giants 4th

Saints 1st

Cardinals 3rd

Dallas 8th

Philly 7th

Rams 28th

Browns 27th

Lions 30th

Steelers 24th

Dallas 8th

Seattle 31st

Giants 4th

No.

We don't.

What a great argument:rolleyes:

We have played great offenses this year, and made them look anemic. How did the Cardinals offense do againt us?? How about the Saints offense, which had less than 100 yards on us in the first half? The Saints are the best offense in the League, and we completely shut them down in the First half. Give our Defense some ****** credit. I'm sick of people ******** about our pass rush. Ok, we don't have a pass rush. But we still do well on defense.

I have always liked the Ravens defense. Today I was thinking, man the Ravens really have a crazy defense. Then, I heard Blache, Cooley, and a few other players say, "this defense is the best in football." This got me thinking...Are they really the "best" in football???

I then took a look at their schedule. These are the rankings of the offenses the've faced this year.

32nd bengals

27th browns

24th steelers

18th titans

22nd Colts

9th Dolphins

29th Raiders

27th Browns

5th Texans

4th Giants

7th Eagles

32nd Bengals

They have played so many botttom ten offenses its ridiculous.:doh: Not to mention, a few offenses have shredded the Ravens as welll this year. Colts had 340 total yards and 31 points on them. Cleveland scored 27 on them. The Giants had 350 yards 30 points.

We haven't given up more than 24 points all year on defense. Don't get me wrong, the Ravens are a top 10 defense for sure. But they are not the 2000 ravens defense, and nowhere near that.

Just for comparison, here's the offenses we've played.

Giants 4th

Saints 1st

Cardinals 3rd

Dallas 8th

Philly 7th

Rams 28th

Browns 27th

Lions 30th

Steelers 24th

Dallas 8th

Seattle 31st

Giants 4th

I think your argument has merits, and at some positions I believe we do, but I think that as a cohesive unit, Bonecrushers right on this one. We may be more battle-tested, so to speak, but the Raven's just have that smack you in the mouth toughness from the front seven to the secondary, whereas we have zero pass rush and tend to start games soft.

Skins might be ranked higher in some categories, but the ones they aren't are sacks/qb pressures/turnovers, all of which are more important than rushing and passing yardage.

:)

Yes, but they are not that much better in sacks. They have 26...we have 19. We don't really blitz a lot from our lb's and db's. We rely more on stopping the run then we do getting after the passer. As far as turnovers, we are getting better in that category. We had a few against the Steelers. Eli threw a pick, and should have have two. Rogers has also dropped a few interceptions as well. We had a few picks on haseelbeck too. Hall has helped us in turnovers.

I just do not see how there isn't an argument for our defense to be as good if not better than theirs.

I'd say that there is an argument, I just don't think it wins out in a game-time situation, as I argued above.

The main point is that the Ravens defense can be ripped, and has been ripped this year. Their statistics are skewed because of the weak competition. I truly believe if they played the same offenses that we did, they would be ranked a little lower than we are. As far as giving up points is concerned, I would rather have our defense. We gave up 16 and then 23 on the Giants. Giants had 30 on the Ravens. We gave up 11 to the Browns, who got 27 on the Ravens. The Ravens defense just isn't as impressive as I thought it was.

I just do not see how there isn't an argument for our defense to be as good if not better than theirs.

So you'd rather have 19 sacks than 26?

:doh:

7 more sacks in the NFL could be 2-3 more wins.

Especially when you consider the margin of victory/defeat for the Skins in most games this year.

So you'd rather have 19 sacks than 26?

:doh:

7 more sacks in the NFL could be 2-3 more wins.

Especially when you consider the margin of victory/defeat for the Skins in most games this year.

7 sacks spread throughout twelve games is less than one sack per game. The ravens are getting about a sack more per game. I do not think that is too much of a difference. Of course I would rather have 26, but again it is not that much better than us.

As far as two or three more wins, there is only one game where that may have made the difference. In the Rams game, which we lost at the last second. All of our other losses have been by more than a touchdown expect for the second dallas game.

The main point is that the Ravens defense can be ripped, and has been ripped this year. Their statistics are skewed because of the weak competition. I truly believe if they played the same offenses that we did, they would be ranked a little lower than we are. As far as giving up points is concerned, I would rather have our defense. We gave up 16 and then 23 on the Giants. Giants had 30 on the Ravens. We gave up 11 to the Browns, who got 27 on the Ravens. The Ravens defense just isn't as impressive as I thought it was.

While I agree with what you're saying, I also disagree in some ways. I think that our defense's greatest ability is the ability to keep games close, almost always, even against teams with better offenses. But keeping it close is as good as it gets. Don't get me wrong, I love our defense, I love what it does and I think that it, along with Portis, keep this ship afloat. But they keep us in games. And when you have a sputtering offense, I don't think that's enough. Our defense does not score points, and before the acquisition of Deangelo Hall, very rarely gave us extra opportunities to do so. So on our team, I think that our defense is not quite as good as the Ravens. Because their's compliments their imperfect, but scoring, offense, with turnovers and many more sacks (7 is quite alot, as anothre poster mentioned).

In short, I think that their defense compliments their offense better than our defense compliments our own offense. Which, in the end, makes for a better defense, because they are helping to win games.:2cents:

I think he just likes starting threads. I'm betting this is his 3rd or 4th of the day.

If you can't make a valid argument as to why the the Ravens defense is better, then why even post? I haven't started any threads today, or yesterday for that matter. I don't usually start a lot of threads. I really think the Ravens defense is overhyped due to weaker competition. Look at the stats.

While I agree with what you're saying, I also disagree in some ways. I think that our defense's greatest ability is the ability to keep games close, almost always, even against teams with better offenses. But keeping it close is as good as it gets. Don't get me wrong, I love our defense, I love what it does and I think that it, along with Portis, keep this ship afloat. But they keep us in games. And when you have a sputtering offense, I don't think that's enough. Our defense does not score points, and before the acquisition of Deangelo Hall, very rarely gave us extra opportunities to do so. So on our team, I think that our defense is not quite as good as the Ravens. Because their's compliments their imperfect, but scoring, offense, with turnovers and many more sacks (7 is quite alot, as anothre poster mentioned).

In short, I think that their defense compliments their offense better than our defense compliments our own offense. Which, in the end, makes for a better defense, because they are helping to win games.:2cents:

Usually when the Ravens play a good offense, they get exposed within the secondary. Yes they can get pressure, but a good quarterback will make that pressure look non-existant. You cannot take a defense like the Ravens to the superbowl, because they can give up some points against a good offense. Our defense, however, has played well against top offenses all year. If I had to take one of them into a game against the Saints offense, I would pick ours. The Ravens may get more sacks/turnovers, but their aggressiveness will also cause them to get burnt a few times. There is a certain risk involved with playing a defense like they do.

If you can't make a valid argument as to why the the Ravens defense is better, then why even post? I haven't started any threads today, or yesterday for that matter. I don't usually start a lot of threads. I really think the Ravens defense is overhyped due to weaker competition. Look at the stats.

I'll tell you why I posted: because I've seen the inane threads you started. Off the top of my head I thought they were mostly started on the 4th, some on the 3rd but because they were bumped I was incorrect. Still, your threads are awful. Quit posting random BS.

Edit: Let's run the wildcat with Jansen and El Randel!!!Omgwtfbbq!

Don't mind him. He doesn't understand the while Logic thing. Rather than know what the **** he's talking about he'd rather make stuff up about you.

I'll tell you why I posted: because I've seen the inane threads you started. Off the top of my head I thought they were mostly started on the 4th, some on the 3rd but because they were bumped I was incorrect. Still, your threads are awful. Quit posting random BS.

Edit: Let's run the wildcat with Jansen and El Randel!!!Omgwtfbbq!

Dude, get a life. If you don't like the topic, dont click on the thread:doh:. You must not get out a lot. Do you sit on your computer all day and wait for the opportunity to talk **** to somone over the internet? Are you a mod or something.

Usually when the Ravens play a good offense, they get exposed within the secondary. Yes they can get pressure, but a good quarterback will make that pressure look non-existant. You cannot take a defense like the Ravens to the superbowl, because they can give up some points against a good offense. Our defense, however, has played well against top offenses all year. If I had to take one of them into a game against the Saints offense, I would pick ours. The Ravens may get more sacks/turnovers, but their aggressiveness will also cause them to get burnt a few times. There is a certain risk involved with playing a defense like they do.

Again, I would agree if we had a more prolific offense. We don't as of right now. So right now, the Ravens D has more of an impact on games than our D does. Yes, they may give up a few more points, but their turnovers give their offense the chance to win games the rest of the time. Our defense, while it would be great with Balitmore's higher scoring offense, does enough to let our Offense win for themselves. Right now, on this team, with this offensive production, that is not enough.

I'm not looking at fantasy D's, mixing this defense with that to face this random high-scoring team. I am looking at reality, with what we have to work with. And to me, the D that has a bigger and better impact on games, is the better D. Right now, disregarding numbers, that is the Ravens D.

Again, I would agree if we had a more prolific offense. We don't as of right now. So right now, the Ravens D has more of an impact on games than our D does. Yes, they may give up a few more points, but their turnovers give their offense the chance to win games the rest of the time. Our defense, while it would be great with Balitmore's higher scoring offense, does enough to let our Offense win for themselves. Right now, on this team, with this offensive production, that is not enough.

I'm not looking at fantasy D's, mixing this defense with that to face this random high-scoring team. I am looking at reality, with what we have to work with. And to me, the D that has a bigger and better impact on games, is the better D. Right now, disregarding numbers, that is the Ravens D.

I agree, they do have a bigger impact on the offense directly. But that doesn't mean they are better...In reality, if we had the Ravens defense, we would probably still have the same record, if not a worse record. We have had 6 turnovers in the last 4 games. That isn't too bad:2cents: We have improved in the turnover category, bringing us that much closer to being a great defense. Now, if only our offense could pick up the pace before its too late.

I agree, they do have a bigger impact on the offense directly. But that doesn't mean they are better...In reality, if we had the Ravens defense, we would probably still have the same record, if not a worse record. We have had 6 turnovers in the last 4 games. That isn't too bad:2cents: We have improved in the turnover category, bringing us that much closer to being a great defense. Now, if only our offense could pick up the pace before its too late.

Absolutely. :cheers:

But until this turnover trend shows that it is not just that, a trend, then the Ravens D is still more consistent. And until our O CAN step it up, and take advantage of what I hope are a future full of turnovers, then our defense is gonna have their work cut out for them. Once they prove they can not only keep the score low, but consistently force the opposing QB to make mistakes and create turnovers, and help the offense more than they give them a chance, then I will crown them as better than what I see as one of the best defenses outside of the Steelers. No matter how well they are playing outside of these game-changing turnovers, until then they are unfulfilled potential and a stop-gap between the Skins and more checks in the "L" column.

Overall, our D can help our O get better, and the other way around. But right now I'd say that our D has to shoulder the burden and help better our struggling offense.

Good arguement but you can't hold it against Baltimore that they've had to play a bunch of creampuffs this year. They didn't create there schedule. As for numbers Baltimore has us beaten at almost every stat that I can see except for penalties committed and we are tied with them on fumble recoveries. They are first in the league in INT's, second in the league in Defensive TD's scored, first in the league in safties, and top three in points allowed & passing yards allowed & rushing yards allowed. That's simply awesome.

While you could make a strong case like you have that because of strength of schedule our Defense has actually done more then they have unfortuantly that's not the case. A great defense does more then limit opponants from scoring. The 2008 Ravens are not the 2000 Ravens but they are not worse then us. They are better

You realize the ravens have the number 3 scoring defense in the NFL, the number 3 rushing defense and the number 2 passing defense.

We have the number 6 scoring, number 7 rushing and number 7 passing.

Conversely our offense is the number 28th scoring offense in the NFL. The ravens are the number 11th scoring offense. On average they score 8 more points a game than we do.

We also have a +2 TO differential they have a +7 turn over differential.

Also the Ravens have something crazy going for them...they look progressively better each week, they do not look like they are regressing as we do.

***The ravens have also scored 5 defensive touchdowns from interceptions alone the skins have a big 0***

You may say we have better defense based on the level of competition we played but look at the games. They didn't just beat this lower level teams they dominated them.

Average margin of victory for the Ravens is 18.25 points average margin of defeat is 13.5 points. Redskins average margin of victory 4.8 points average margin of defeat 9.6 points.

So when we win we barely win when we lose we lose by about 10. When they win they absolutely crush teams when they lose they get beat by 2 touchdowns.

Archived