Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Columnist Criticizes Gangsta Rap Used For Sean Taylor Tribute

Horatio

Guys...the family chose the song. It was one of Sean's favorite artists. That negates everything people, who aren't in the family, have to say about their decision.
Actually, no it doesnt. This was a public tribute. What does playing a song that glorifies the very things that put ST in an early grave really say to us?

The absolute LAST thing I would want to hear after someone in my family dies from gun violence would be a song celebrating it. :(

I'm going to give the family the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't really know anything about the lyrics and just knew ST liked the music/song.

However, I place blame on the organization because I have to believe that someone should have been smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and research the lyrics befroe they blasted it over the PA system.

I am not a hip-hop basher in the least but in this particular instance it was pretty irresponsible to play lyrics glorifying gun violence - especially given the circumstances.

I'm not quite sure how that can be debated.

Actually, no it doesnt. This was a public tribute. What does playing a song that glorifies the very things that put ST in an early grave really say to us?

The absolute LAST thing I would want to hear after someone in my family dies from gun violence would be a song celebrating it. :(

Ok...so that's you. You just said that it was a public forum, and yet you say that the LAST thing YOU would want to hear after someone in your family dies is a song that like...you contradicted yourself. That's what they chose and the Skins obviously allowed them to choose it.

I find it comical that so many people find rap music so offensive, yet rappers are simply telling their story.

I guess if you aren't from the streets, you can't relate to the music. And if you can't relate, it must be wrong. :doh:

People need to worry about more important things then rap music.

I'm not sure if people are taking it as an offense. But more if it was appropriate to play such a song at a remembrance ceremony or not. Although, I do enjoy rap music I dont think it was appropriate.

This is a dumb article. The song was the actual song ST listened to before most of the games. It was very popular last season and a very upbeat tempo. Its not always the actual substance of the song that matters but how it makes you feel. I don't agree with what the artist T.I. is saying in the song but if I had to go out to war on the football field it is the first confidence-boosting, get-me-hyped-and-knock-someone-out song I'd have in my Ipod. And I bet you half the Redskins you love who happen to love hip-hop (mostly African-Americans) like to hear this song before they play as well. And I bet you they are great husband and fathers because most of us can differentiate what we listen to in music from what values we personally hold. I'm not listening to Michael Jackson's "We are the world" which has a great kumbya message before I strap on a helmet and prepare for war......thats just me and Sean I guess. :2cents:

This is a dumb article. The song was the actual song ST listened to before most of the games. It was very popular last season and a very upbeat tempo. Its not always the actual substance of the song that matters but how it makes you feel. I don't agree with what the artist T.I. is saying in the song but if I had to go out to war on the football field it is the first confidence-boosting, get-me-hyped-and-knock-someone-out song I'd have in my Ipod. And I bet you half the Redskins you love who happen to love hip-hop (mostly African-Americans) like to hear this song before they play as well. And I bet you they are great husband and fathers because most of us can differentiate what we listen to in music from what values we personally hold. I'm not listening to Michael Jackson's "We are the world" which has a great kumbya message before I strap on a helmet and prepare for war......thats just me and Sean I guess. :2cents:

Couldn't agree more

I find it comical that so many people find rap music so offensive, yet rappers are simply telling their story.

I guess if you aren't from the streets, you can't relate to the music. And if you can't relate, it must be wrong. :doh:

My favorite book is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. My family knows this.

It would still be inappropriate to read the opening at my funeral.

it was one of sean's favorite songs.

why must we nitpick about everything?

I don't get this reasoning.

If his favorite song was "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" should that have been played?

Did he have any favorite songs that didn't involve shooting motha****ers in a minute? I mean, did he have - like - one Alicia Keyes tune in his Ipod just to mellow out before bedtime?

I'm not in the least bit offended by the choice. I simply find it puzzling.

If his favorite song was "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" should that have been played?

Did he have any favorite songs that didn't involve shooting motha****ers in a minute? I mean' date=' did he have - like - one Alicia Keyes tune in his Ipod just to mellow out before bedtime?

I'm not in the least bit offended by the choice. I simply find it puzzling.[/quote']

im not bashing you...the board lately is just being so critical of EVERYTHING.

"...square your set and get ready to circle left." haha, i had to do that, sorry:silly:

it is what it is, and the ceremony is over. they could've played any song and i still would've been crying. its puzzling, but it's done.

I'm not offended by the MUSIC at all... I actually like some of it. And I've got ZERO problems with it being played at Sean's ceremony.

My problem is the CULTURE of hip-hop with its glorification of homophobia, mysogny, prison culture, ignorance, crime, etc. People who embrace the hip-hop lifestyle by wearing pants 10 sizes too big, getting "grills" and tattoos on their faces, and speaking as if they didn't pass 1st grade grammar class have to realize that NOBODY is ever going to take them seriously, or offer them any position of responsibility or trust.

Unless they can jump high and run fast.

In all honesty, I don't really care one way or the other. I just find the reasoning of "Family choice" to be interesting.

Families are just collections of people, and people can make really poor decisions, even with the best of intentions.

Example. I was at a cousin's wedding a dozen or so years ago. At the wedding reception, they - I **** you not - had a picture of their unborn baby's sonogram in a prominent place. It was their "choice;" it also made my grandmother want to hang herself.

(To me, it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen in my life. I am tempted to sell the idea to the writers of "My Name is Earl").

Rap music offends people because they are embracing an atmosphere of drugs and violence. I understand that a lot of them grew up in these environments but the fact that they have been successful should mean they would rebel against that and do their part to try to clean those areas up. Instead they make other young people think that its cool to do drugs and cap people. Im not offended by rap music but I see why it offends people.

As far as that being played at the tribute, I thought it was a little tasteless too. This should be a time of inspiration and the music should have matched that. There are a lot of songs I like that I would never want played at my memorial.

Did he have any favorite songs that didn't involve shooting motha****ers in a minute? I mean' date=' did he have - like - one Alicia Keyes tune in his Ipod just to mellow out before bedtime?

I'm not in the least bit offended by the choice. I simply find it puzzling.[/quote']

Puzzling? You find it puzzling that one of the hardest hitters in the game would like an upbeat tempo song that has chorus line of "Big Thangs Poppin'? You find it puzzling that MEAST didn't listen to Alicia Keyes before he took the field? Have you ever strapped on a helmet and shoulder pads, stepped on a football field and imposed your will both mentally and physically on athletes that could beat the snot out of the average person? I am dumfounded by your puzzlement!:doh:

I think some people take Rap music to literally. the fact is that Sean probably listened to that song pregame. it probably gets him pumped. That songs gets me pumped up when i play also.

Those highlights of Seans career needed some upbeat music. Could it have done without the lyrics? yes. but at the same time people should pay so much attention to it. it's rap music.

It was really dumb for them to put a song that talked about glorifing firearms when he was killed as a result of gun violence. I believe very much in the second amendment, but that was rediculous.

Actually most ppl who listen to music let alone go to football games dont hear anything that goes on in songs other then the chorus. With that said theres nothin wrong with playing "Big Things Poppin" during a highlight reel of ST laying opponents out

O and TI is not a "Gangsta Rapper"

So, in summation, the family picked the song, so let it play.

Was it in the greatest of tastes? Probably not. I mean, I can just picture his assassins listening to rhetoric like that just before going into his home to rob him.

But then again, those bastUrds could have been listening to Karen Carpenter, and ST would still be just as gone.

So nothing more to debate, IMO.

Archived