Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Columnist Criticizes Gangsta Rap Used For Sean Taylor Tribute

Horatio

Puzzling? You find it puzzling that one of the hardest hitters in the game would like an upbeat tempo song that has chorus line of "Big Thangs Poppin'? You find it puzzling that MEAST didn't listen to Alicia Keyes before he took the field? Have you ever strapped on a helmet and shoulder pads, stepped on a football field and imposed your will both mentally and physically on athletes that could beat the snot out of the average person? I am dumfounded by your puzzlement!:doh:

I forgot that Sean Taylor was playing on Sunday and needed to be pumped up.

My point is: I assume he had more than one side of personality.

I wouldn't have done a tribute at all. It's almost like (and I hate to even accuse the organization of this because I'm sure they had nice intentions) they just wanted to recapture last year's magic.

To me, this should not have been a tribute as much as an induction. We mourned Taylor and held a very inspriring tribute to him in 2007. We cheapen it a little to do it again and again. Give the family a plaque, show the name on the ring of fame, and maybe show some REDSKIN highlights (afterall this was a team induction).

I just thought the team botched this and came off as an organization looking to play the sympathy card one last time.

I wouldn't have done a tribute at all. It's almost like (and I hate to even accuse the organization of this because I'm sure they had nice intentions) they just wanted to recapture last year's magic.

To me, this should not have been a tribute as much as an induction. We mourned Taylor and held a very inspriring tribute to him in 2007. We cheapen it a little to do it again and again. Give the family a plaque, show the name on the ring of fame, and maybe show some REDSKIN highlights (afterall this was a team induction).

I just thought the team botched this and came off as an organization looking to play the sympathy card one last time.

Afterwards, it hit me that it was just too soon to do this. It wasn't an induction. It was - as you said - a memorial service. And a weird one at that since it also seemed to be a pep rally.

In retrospect, they should have done this during some random September game in two or three years once the pain has faded a bit.

But...oh well. It's over now.

if his family requested it then you can't really argue with the choice... what, were they supposed to say 'no'???

i agree the lyrics are violent, maybe not completely apropriate (probably don't want my daughter listening to them).... but you have to admit it was awesome hearing the song when he was making those hits in the video :)

Archived