Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Campbell Is Pressured From Every Angle

jivelikenice

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...254&s_pos=list

"I don't have a lot of touchdown passes, I know that," Campbell said. "I would love to have 20 touchdown passes right now, not because I want the stats, that's not what I care about, but I want us to score more points. But you can't throw touchdowns if guys are not open. It doesn't work like that."

At least on three separate occasions he calls out the receivers like this for not getting open; the same teammates who have said nothing negative about him to the media. Yes, they're not always open but he has missed wide open receivers plenty of times as well. This excuse filled article infuriated me and has me more convinced that this is not the guy who will LEAD this team. Instead of accepting responsibility for what he can do better, he's blaming receivers to the media for not getting open. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHEN YOU LOOK TO ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE FIELD!!??? Look at gamess from this year. His head stays locked onto half the field 90% of the time.....

I watched the game again yesterday, your point about looking to one side of the field is valid.

Right, because you can see his eyes moving around in his helmet because you're superman?

Just because he isn't moving his head from one side of the field doesn't mean he isn't looking another way.

Right, because you can see his eyes moving around in his helmet because you're superman?

Just because he isn't moving his head from one side of the field doesn't mean he isn't looking another way.

I suggest you watch it again yourself, and then come back here with your high and mighty attitude.

I suggest you watch it again yourself, and then come back here with your high and mighty attitude.

I suggest you go watch zorns interview where he says the same exact thing jason does. The wide receivers arent getting open and when they are open its by barely and they get tackled right on the spot. Learn something about football before you decide to criticize a player.

I suggest you go watch zorns interview where he says the same exact thing jason does. The wide receivers arent getting open and when they are open its by barely and they get tackled right on the spot. Learn something about football before you decide to criticize a player.

Why don't you tell that to the OP?

well since no one outside Redskin park knows the plays, or has access to the coaches tape, to see the entire field (nor knows what to look for on each play) it is kind of dumb and pointless to argue what is happening or going wrong on each play.

Some plays are designed for one half of the field.... is JC running those plays, is he screwing up, is the OL not giving him time to survey the whole field, can he see everything from his head position...

not one person on this board knows the real answer, no matter how much they act like they do.

Some plays are designed for one half of the field.... is JC running those plays, is he screwing up, is the OL not giving him time to survey the whole field, can he see everything from his head position...

That's pretty much why an OL is so valuable... Is it the OL's fault? Then fix the OL. Is it JC's fault? Then fix the OL and JC will be able to find a receiver no matter how much he sucks at reading the field. Is it the WR's fault? Then fix the OL and the WR will find a way to get open no matter how slow or inelusive they are.

And yes... It is easier to put together a good OL than it is to find a franchise QB or a top-dog receiver... Aside from LT, every position on the OL can be filled without sacrificing draft picks or a ton of money that can set the franchise back.

Morons.

Campbell is not throwing his teammates under the bus. He's being candid and still respectful of his teammates.

Whoever said the "true or false" about Campbell and the O-Line is 100% correct. When the O-Line has played even a decent game Campbell has looked great. That being said, they have looked horrible the past 1 month+.

There's nothing wrong with JC's statements.

If he was throwing 3-5 picks a game, would everyone be happy?

I'd prefer he take the sack than make a turnover.

The o-line has a one-legged CS, a in-need-of-replacement JJ and banged up running backs.

Campbell is the least of our problems on offense.

the West coast offense that we have is so dangerously critical to where the WR is that it will shackle your offense to very limited things if they dont run the right route, take certain steps, etc.

Right now the only reciever Jason can count on is Moss, but even he is often accused of running routes incorrectly.

The WCO is a complicated offense from what I have heard from Coach interviews, players, etc.

It is amazing where we are as of now considering that we have a first year head coach, new offensive system, and only really, one true countable WR.

Protection is also a big issue, but when Jc has had time he has looked great, why? because even when he has had time to throw the recievers take longer to get open because of whatever reason, most likly due to that they are still learning the details of the offensive routes.

I am telling you right now, come next year, this offense will have progressed greatly.

That's pretty much why an OL is so valuable... Is it the OL's fault? Then fix the OL. Is it JC's fault? Then fix the OL and JC will be able to find a receiver no matter how much he sucks at reading the field. Is it the WR's fault? Then fix the OL and the WR will find a way to get open no matter how slow or inelusive they are.

And yes... It is easier to put together a good OL than it is to find a franchise QB or a top-dog receiver... Aside from LT, every position on the OL can be filled without sacrificing draft picks or a ton of money that can set the franchise back.

I'm sorry, but you have made way too much sense for this thread and you did it without bashing or a thousand words. I think there's a penalty for that.

well since no one outside Redskin park knows the plays, or has access to the coaches tape, to see the entire field (nor knows what to look for on each play) it is kind of dumb and pointless to argue what is happening or going wrong on each play.

not one person on this board knows the real answer, no matter how much they act like they do.

I agree with what you say, bubba, but I feel the OP's point in this thread (that Campbell shouldn't be publically criticizing his teammates) is valid.

Everything Campbell says is probably true. That receivers aren't getting open or running a route improperly, but he shouldn't run to a reporter and say it b/c he feels he is unfairly getting picked on by some fans, sports radio, and the some in the media.

Especially since Campbell hasn't wowed anyone lately. :)

He threw some bad passes against the Giants, even when he had time (I thought the o-line did pretty good Sunday, considering it was the Giants they were playing).

Who can forget the BADLY under thrown ball to, I believe, ARE that was picked off.

Yet, after the game, guys like Cooley didn't say 'Well, if Jason threw me a decent pass once in a while, I'd catch it'.

No, Cooley said that the whole offense is failing right now, and as a team, they need to better.

Which is what you should say.

I find it funny that at the end of the article that he says he doesn't place blame or point fingers, yet he does that in his comments that he would have 20 TDs by now if his WRs were getting open.

I have a felling that if Gibbs were still here, he would've chewed out Campbell for saying that in a interview. :)

Yeah, but those were "The Hogs".

Many of those guys (Jacoby, Grimm Bostic, etc.) had been playing together for years. Over a decade, in fact.

True for '92, but in '82, they had only been playing together for a year. Here's a quote from Grimm:

“We had four rookies starting up front, and we started out 0-5, so there were some second thoughts. Myself, as a player, I had second thoughts about we’d ever win a game, but we finished 8-8, rolled it into 1982 and made a Super Bowl."

We'll see what spending quality draft picks does for an offense in Baltimore this week, just like the rest of the league is seeing it in Atlanta. Drafting quality OL (quality = 1st and 2nd round) makes a big impact on the offense within 2 years and then does it for a decade.

True for '92, but in '82, they had only been playing together for a year. Here's a quote from Grimm:

“We had four rookies starting up front, and we started out 0-5, so there were some second thoughts. Myself, as a player, I had second thoughts about we’d ever win a game, but we finished 8-8, rolled it into 1982 and made a Super Bowl."

We'll see what spending quality draft picks does for an offense in Baltimore this week, just like the rest of the league is seeing it in Atlanta. Drafting quality OL (quality = 1st and 2nd round) makes a big impact on the offense within 2 years and then does it for a decade.

The Redskins do have good o-linemen waiting in the wings (I feel they do anyway :) ) in guys like Heyor and Rinehart.

However, they decided to go with the veterans this year.

The results have been mixed. Good run blocking, no-so-good pass protection.

I've been happy with Samuels, Thomas, and for the most part Kendall. Rabach and Jansen, however, have been disappointments.

There are definitely going to be some changes there in the offseason, I believe.

Archived