Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Death Metal fans?

RawBBQSauce

i'm not a fan of the cookie monster vocals, unless there are more melodic lines in the instruments.

I was a huge fan of Swedish death at a time. I like all sorts of other types of metal, mainly power as well. Death Metal, it depends on how melodic it sounds.

Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Naplam Death, Morbid Angel...are some of the "classic" ones.

The newer stuff is hard to classify as straight "death", b/c metal in general has been getting heavier vocal wise.... if you consider Lamb of God, In Flames, and Candira death metal than I'm in with those as well.

Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Naplam Death, Morbid Angel...are some of the "classic" ones.

The newer stuff is hard to classify as straight "death", b/c metal in general has been getting heavier vocal wise.... if you consider Lamb of God, In Flames, and Candira death metal than I'm in with those as well.

The ones you mentioned first are the ones that I dislike due to those vocals/non-melodicness of the music.

However, the later ones I'm definitely in with. In Flames though has definitely gone the American route and isn't as melodic.

I used to listen to Death because of the music and you wouldnt believe how shocked I was to learn that Richard Christie from Howard was the drummer.

Also got in to Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Venom and Sepultura.

but most are right, cookie monster singing sucks and usually makes me laugh more then anything.

Not a huge fan. I do listen. Sepultura, was pretty good. I love the music, but I can't get passed the "gargled with razorblades" vocals. I can only take so much before I have to listen to something else. Also depends on the mood I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, I love heavy!! Just more Heavy with melody and cleaner vocals. Slayer, In flames, Children on Bodem

Death metal fan here. I like Carcass (Heartwork is the ****!), Cannibal Corpse, Entombed and Obituary. I guess maybe old-school Sepultura could be considered death metal too.

Heartwork may have the best riffs of the entire genre. Fantasatic.

I used to listen to Death because of the music and you wouldnt believe how shocked I was to learn that Richard Christie from Howard was the drummer.

Haha, I was the other way around. I had been listening to Death since like '92, then when Christie got on Stern, I was like wtf is he doing?

Which of you guys plays an instrument?

It's a hypothesis I'm testing. I'm trying to figure out what percentage of death metal fans play an instrument. I'm guessing it's a high percentage, because death metal is for musicians in my opinion.

BTW, these "cookie monster" vocals everyone is speaking of aren't really done anymore. Death metal bands these days do the really low, guttural sounding stuff.

Opeth, I've played classical guitar since I was 9. I'm more into what is deemed Nu-Metal though. I can tell you that in any music conservatory environment Metal in general, not just DM, will usually be the most popular genre amongst the students. If your like me you'll be scrutinized for any Hippy/Jam band leanings. Mostly about the genre consisting of just 2 cord jams.

I've never really been into "Death" Metal as much. I like to be able to understand what the vocalist is saying. With that said, I think Lamb of God kicks total ass, despite the "cookie monster" vocals of Randy Blythe. (Although he doesn't sound like that all the time) mainly because of the musicianship. They are writing some of the best riffs, and Chris Adler is beast of a drummer. I like old-school Thrash and Power Metal. Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, and Pantera are my favorites, along with obviously Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Rob Halford's solo stuff, Fight and his band Halford.

If notes could ever make the slightest bit of sense to me, I'd probably be a composer but all I ever played was the drums until about 7th grade for that same reason. Anyway, I've always considered death metal to be one of the most musical subgenres if that makes any sense. As for vocals, I find that I can pick up on even the harshest styles after I have heard a song a few times and can learn to recognise almost everything after I've read the lyrics

I'm all over the place with the metal bands I listen to and it's hard to try and fit a lot of them into any one category but you know death metal right away when you hear it.

I submit Behemoth to the list of bands although they use an almost completely incomprehensible vocal style that borders on black metal. They style themselves "blackened death metal".

I've never really been into "Death" Metal as much. I like to be able to understand what the vocalist is saying. With that said, I think Lamb of God kicks total ass, despite the "cookie monster" vocals of Randy Blythe.

Lamb of God isn't death metal and he doesn't do "cookie monster" vocals.

I've never really understood this type of music. One of my college roommates was really, really into it, and I hated every minute. Some of guitar work is nice, I'll admit, but I can't understand a damn word any of the singers are saying. It all sounds like growling, gutteral nonsense to me, and I can't pick a single word out of most of the songs.

Add to that that my roommate fancied himself a guitarist, and would play along. Now I'm not a guitar player, but I'm pretty sure that I can say he was piss poor at it. The only bands I remember him listening to are one that I think was simply called "Death" and another that I'm pretty sure was called "Lamb of God." There might have been one or two others.

I'll be the first to admit that this might not have been the greatest introduction to the genre, and maybe there's more to it, but that was my introduction, and I wasn't impressed.

I've never really understood this type of music. One of my college roommates was really, really into it, and I hated every minute. Some of guitar work is nice, I'll admit, but I can't understand a damn word any of the singers are saying. It all sounds like growling, gutteral nonsense to me, and I can't pick a single word out of most of the songs.

Add to that that my roommate fancied himself a guitarist, and would play along. Now I'm not a guitar player, but I'm pretty sure that I can say he was piss poor at it. The only bands I remember him listening to are one that I think was simply called "Death" and another that I'm pretty sure was called "Lamb of God." There might have been one or two others.

I'll be the first to admit that this might not have been the greatest introduction to the genre, and maybe there's more to it, but that was my introduction, and I wasn't impressed.

For me, being a guitar player for 8 years, I was always searching for the next best thing as far as the degree of difficulty is concerned.

I found death metal about 3 years ago and I haven't found anything else that gives me more of a challenge with my instrument. That's why I am constantly searching for people that enjoy the genre. Like my drummer, he is a death metal fan and he also thinks that it is as difficult as it gets.

I understand how you don't approve of the music. But for me, vocals in music are not where my ear concentrates. So after listening to the music for a long time, I have become completely accustomed to the vocal style. But the genre is all about "aggression", and you can't really voice "aggression" with clean vocals in the same manner as you can with death metal growls.

I understand how you don't approve of the music. But for me, vocals in music are not where my ear concentrates. So after listening to the music for a long time, I have become completely accustomed to the vocal style. But the genre is all about "aggression", and you can't really voice "aggression" with clean vocals in the same manner as you can with death metal growls.

That's understandable. I wouldn't say I "don't approve" of the music, that makes me sound pretty judgemental. I just don't really understand the appeal of it. And as I stated, the roommate may not have been the best person I could have had as an introduction to it. I may eventually give it another listen.

I like the older In Flames (Colony/Whoracle), Dark Tranquility, Chimaira, The Haunted, and especially some Amon Amarth. Hell, if I'm in the mood, i'll even pop in some Black Dahlia Murder. That gets intense :rubeyes:. Also like Dimmu Borgir, although they're "Black Metal" and not "Death Metal".

Archived