Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: Loudoun Supervisors Vote to Reconsider Joint Initiative

JimmiJo

I know I will be out of step with Skins fans on this one, but I feel strongly enough to post and take the flak.

I can definitely understand why Loudoun Co. may be opting to prioritize their spending on the "Hallowed Ground" preservation initiatives. There's some historically very special land in that area, and the window of opportuntiy is closing on doing something to keep it. From what I recall, this is probably their last chance to avail themselves of some matching federal spending.

My understanding is that the funds would not be used for preservation, but for tourism hospitality training.

As a LoCo resident there are some significant sites such as Balls Bluff, but if a tourist with a love of history is coming to the region (the "Hallowed Ground" stretching from Monticello to Gettysburg) there are dozens of attractions that a tourist with only so much time on their hands would chose ahead of the sites Loudoun has to offer.

While fans may prefer a DC or stadium location, that's not under consideration. If the Redskins organization want the HoF museum on or near their land in Loudoun County where they can more easily support it, wishing for it to be somewhere else doesn't help much. :)

LOL at the quote from supervisor Miller "We have things in Loudoun that no one else has. We are D.C.'s wine country. We have polo matches," he said. "

Yeah - polo is a much bigger attraction than the NFL and Redskins. :doh:

This money would be better spent on education. The hell with a HOF.

Thanks so much for one of the least informed posts in this thread.

The money is not slated for education nor will it ever go to education. It is to promote the county and job growth.

If the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors votes this down, it would send a horrible message to the team and ownership. How awesome would that be to have a Redskins Hall of Fame! So many players and former players live in the community, so more "fan" events would be possible. We need to make sure the BOS knows that we, the fans, support this idea. Please either e-mail them at bos@loudoun.gov or show up Monday night, Dec. 1, at 6:30pm. They won't be voting until the next day. We can influence this vote. Without our voices though, our team could very well get rejected!

Hopefully it does get rejected.... think about it... if someone comes to see a game from out of town and wants to see the Redskins HoF they will have to drive the entire greater DC area to do it... why not put it where the fans will be? in DC or at the stadium is my vote

Hopefully it does get rejected.... think about it... if someone comes to see a game from out of town and wants to see the Redskins HoF they will have to drive the entire greater DC area to do it... why not put it where the fans will be? in DC or at the stadium is my vote

Where would it be? The Redskins have no interests in D.C. right now.

I'm not saying I disagree with yours and others' sentiments that it would be nice to have in the city, but where I think you guys might be missing it is that there is no-where to put it right now.

Redskins Park has been in Virginia as long as I can remember, maybe all of my life. They now have training camp there where they invite people to attend. How cool would it be to likewise visit a HOF while there?

Look folks, this strikes me as an opportunity that should not be dismissed based on some notion that it will happen in D.C. or at FedEx if this fails. From where I'm sitting if this doesn't happen, it will not happen, at least in the near future.

The county it sounds like has already allocated budget for this initiative. Why NOT a Redskins HOF? It will create jobs and it will help promote Loudoun.

Seems win/win to me.

Where would it be? The Redskins have no interests in D.C. right now.

I'm not saying I disagree with yours and others' sentiments that it would be nice to have in the city, but where I think you guys might be missing it is that there is no-where to put it right now.

Redskins Park has been in Virginia as long as I can remember, maybe all of my life. They now have training camp there where they invite people to attend. How cool would it be to likewise visit a HOF while there?

Look folks, this strikes me as an opportunity that should not be dismissed based on some notion that it will happen in D.C. or at FedEx if this fails. From where I'm sitting if this doesn't happen, it will not happen, at least in the near future.

The county it sounds like has already allocated budget for this initiative. Why NOT a Redskins HOF? It will create jobs and it will help promote Loudoun.

Seems win/win to me.

i get the concept, but i still think it's in such a remote location from the city and where the games are played it wouldn't get the traffic it deserves... i agree that being able to see it after a practice would be pretty cool, but wouldn't it almost limit it to local fans who attend practices, and those that are willing to make the hike out to ashburn? it's not exactly close to the city or other tourist attractions... (you might be able to tell that i'm not from loudon, so i don't care too much if it promotes the county or not... still, i'd rather see one go up than do without it):2cents:

Thanks so much for one of the least informed posts in this thread.

The money is not slated for education nor will it ever go to education. It is to promote the county and job growth.

Well surely there are better things to spend the money on than a Hall of Fame. Job Growth?...lol

i get the concept, but i still think it's in such a remote location from the city and where the games are played it wouldn't get the traffic it deserves... i agree that being able to see it after a practice would be pretty cool, but wouldn't it almost limit it to local fans who attend practices, and those that are willing to make the hike out to ashburn? it's not exactly close to the city or other tourist attractions... :2cents:
A museum isn't something you go to several times a year. I would think once every few years is adequate. And there are quite a few people who are willing to make the trek to Ashburn - even without a museum. The fact that they have training camp in Ashburn which already attracts huge crowds validates a HOF museum at the same facility. MHO

Well surely there are better things to spend the money on than a Hall of Fame. Job Growth?...lol

Absolutely, but that is not what this money is for. It is for the afrementioned jobs, and promotion/marketing of Loudoun. The Redskins get a lot of attention and 75,000 people that visited to watch the scrimmage is a testament to this.

wouldn't it almost limit it to local fans who attend practices, and those that are willing to make the hike out to ashburn? it's not exactly close to the city or other tourist attractions... (you might be able to tell that i'm not from loudon, so i don't care too much if it promotes the county or not... still, i'd rather see one go up than do without it):2cents:

Hey! I drove from near Loudoun all the way to the stadium last weekend to pay tribute to Sean with some flowers, so it's not as far as you make it sound! Plenty of Maryland people come over to Training Camp. Loudoun isn't the far country that it used to be in my youth. And, by the way, the practice facility before the current Redskins Park was the one in western Herndon for as long as I can remember. They've always practiced in VA.

Archived