Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bright Side if Fletcher Can't Go

Chiefinonhaze

H.B. Blades has gotten praise from coaches ever since he joined the Redskins. He is the known replacement for Fletcher once he retires. Sooner or later, we have to find out how good this replacement actually is. Every player that was asked about Fletcher this week said, "Someone's just going to step up if he can't go." Even Zorn said it. That "someone" they are talking about is Blades. What if he comes in and does what Fletcher does, but makes more plays(int's, fumbles)?

We gotta see what he has, and what a better game to find out than against the world champs. I think he can step up:gaintsuck

H.B. Blades has gotten praise from coaches ever since he joined the Redskins. He is the known replacement for Fletcher once he retires. Sooner or later, we have to find out how good this replacement actually is. Every player that was asked about Fletcher this week said, "Someone's just going to step up if he can't go." Even Zorn said it. That "someone" they are talking about is Blades. What if he comes in and does what Fletcher does, but makes more plays(int's, fumbles)?

We gotta see what he has, and what a better game to find out than against the world champs. I think he can step up:gaintsuck

leave the haze alone

He's saying the bright side is that, at the very least, we'll find out more about Blades. Knowledge is power. It's definitely a good way of looking at it.

He's in no way, shape or form implying that Blades will play better or that we're better off without Fletcher. His thread title should alone be sufficient in proving that. "The bright side" of a particular situation means that it's a very dark situation.

"What if Blades plays better than Fletcher" does not mean "I'm sure Blades will play better than Fletcher".

Some of us like to jump on our fellow Skins fans way too quickly.

He's saying the bright side is that, at the very least, we'll find out more about Blades. Knowledge is power. It's definitely a good way of looking at it.

He's in no way, shape or form implying that Blades will play better or that we're better off without Fletcher. His thread title should alone be sufficient in proving that. "The bright side" of a particular situation means that it's a very dark situation.

Agreed. :applause:

i'm not worried about Blades

i'm worried about Fincher

That's the real issue. Blades will play whether or not Fletcher can go. If Fletcher plays, then Blades will play OLB for Marcus. But if Fletcher can't go, then Blades would play MLB and Fincher would play OLB.

I feel fairly confident with Blades in there, but not all at with Fincher. I just want Fletcher to play so we can keep Fincher on the bench.

"What if Blades plays better than Fletcher" does not mean "I'm sure Blades will play better than Fletcher".

Exactly. Blades may be our starter in a year or two, and it wouldn't hurt to get him some key experience this Sunday

That's the real issue. Blades will play whether or not Fletcher can go. If Fletcher plays, then Blades will play OLB for Marcus. But if Fletcher can't go, then Blades would play MLB and Fincher would play OLB.

I feel fairly confident with Blades in there, but not all at with Fincher. I just want Fletcher to play so we can keep Fincher on the bench.

Yes, but Blades would be playing a totally different role if Fletcher is out. Instead of just playing olb, he would be mlb and the main signal caller on Defense. He would be responsible for lining guys up, making audibles, etc. It's a more complex role than if Fletcher was playing because Fletcher would lead the defense.

There deffinitely isn't any bright side to Fletcher being out because he has such a high octane motor it's hard to find any body close. I think Blades, and Fincher will be fine as replacements because they have prepared all week for Fletcher to be out. With our CB's healthy finely we should be able to pick off a couple of Eli's passes and defend the run a little better now that Plaxico has been ruled out as well. Because he torched us the first game, and when we had to defend the pass Jacobs just beat us into a pulp by running for a 114 yds or so.

I like the OP's optimism, but like many have stated there is NO bright-side to having your defensive leader out against a team like the Giants who will undoubtedly try to run the ball down our throats, especially considering the injuries to our front four and the elements.

Our strength right now on the defensive side of the ball is our secondary and I don't see Manning testing them very often. I also expect to see Landry close to tthe LOS with Springs manning the FS spot a few times.

Lot of negativity in this thread. I don't see how anyone can say there is "no" bright side to the situation. Clearly we are in a better situation to win if Fletcher plays than if he doesn't. But it is also clear that seeing Blades play the position we drafted him for, replacing the player we drafted him to replace will tell us a fair amount about what he is capable of, especially against the #1 running team.

While it may not be a positive for winning the game, it is a positive for seeing where Blades is/where he is going. So by very definition of the word (phrase) there IS a "bright side" to this situation. I personally feel we need Fletcher, but like they say, "That's why you play the game."

i'm not worried about Blades

i'm worried about Fincher

I'm not really worried about Fincher. He's a playmaker and has a motor that runs 110 MPH all game. I agree that if the starters can't go we will see just what our young guns can do. It's the reason Horton is starting because he got the opportunity and made the best of it!

How do we know Blades isn't the "next" Fletcher? He might be just as good, we just don't know yet. I'm sure he has prepared hard this week, and may be able to play as well as him. Don't get down on a guy who has shown nothing but promise but has not gotten a shot yet. Did the Patriots know Cassel was going to be this good? I bet when Tom Brady went down, they were distaught. Now, I bet they are happy to have Cassel at QB. You just don't know with some of these backups. Look at Todd Collins last year. Who would have thought?

Archived