Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget the Pass Rush

Chiefinonhaze

Not true! The Eagles lead the league in sacks. And there record is? Run the football and stop the run. Not sack the QB. Hell, the Colts had only 25 sacks the year they won the Super Bowl. Teams that stop the run, go far. Thats a fact.

Thanks to McNabb who's ruining the Eagles defense with 10 interceptions ;)

The Dallas game has nothing to do with pass rush. The cowboys are one of the most dangerous offenses in the NFL, and to hold them to 14 points is a great accomplishment. Their defense is rather weak, and if we would have put up a measly 17 points we would have won. Pass rush is not the problem imo, we are playing great defense. Would it help? Of course, but you can't always have everything. Be happy at the level our defense is playing and hope our offense can match that production.

Yup, you're completely right. We don't need a pass rush. I was wrong. :rolleyes:

To borrow from Blache our defense is what it is. We all knew going into this season that this defense was not going to be a great pass rushing team. What we did know was that we were usually strong against the run and that we had one of the best secondaries in the league. Unfortunately, the run defense took a hit with losing Daniels. Despite what a lot of people thought on this board, Daniels is a good player in the run game and he is missed.

No, the defense isn't going to win too many games on their own, but you shouldn't have to put your defense into position where they need to do it on a regular basis. The offense needs to go out there and produce to make things a little easier on the defense. Because when you hang your defense out to dry, they can't throw a shutout forever. Eventually they will wear down and the other team will score.

Most of the focus should be our production on offense, because that is what has always held this team down.

mostly agree...with the caveat that we have known for years that this team has lacked a bona fide pass rush. it's the reluctance to fix the problem...and the lurking suspicion that this is the sort of weakness that dooms a team in the playoffs (along with an aging, physical but less than lightning quick O-line) that is frustrating.

The pass rush is what's leading to our defense allowing about 17 points per game instead of 0-7.

Our defense is still playing well enough that we should be winning more if our offense was more in sync, but an effective pass rush would probably lead to about a 10pt difference in points allowed.

Sacks may be overrated, but pressure never is. Our D needs to make it a little more uncomfortable in the pocket for opposing QB's. We don't need 5 sacks a game to be successful, but we do need pressure. And when we blitz, we need to get to the QB a good percentage.

We have the benefit of a secondary that can lay the wood out there. We just need a little more physicality from the inside out instead of the outside in.

• 1 month later...

I still don't think we should worry about the defense in the offseason. The offense should be the main concern.

Our defense was amongst the league leaders in points given up. They would have been even better if our offense would yield some production. Our defense was on the field a majority of the time, and still managed to hold the cowboys to 14 points. We also shut down a lot of high powered offenses.

If anything, we should draft a DT, because it would make our ends much more effective. There is usually a good pocket for opposing Qb's to step up into, so pressure up the middle is essential.

I still don't think we should worry about the defense in the offseason. The offense should be the main concern.

Our defense was amongst the league leaders in points given up. They would have been even better if our offense would yield some production. Our defense was on the field a majority of the time, and still managed to hold the cowboys to 14 points. We also shut down a lot of high powered offenses.

If anything, we should draft a DT, because it would make our ends much more effective. There is usually a good pocket for opposing Qb's to step up into, so pressure up the middle is essential.

Yeah well, you're wrong.

You think the Eagles won because of their offense yesterday? You think the Ravens won because Joe Flacco was Tom Brady yesterday? He was like 9 for 30 or something like that I heard. No, they won because of pressure on quarterback!

And what offense did we shut down? What team are you watching? :mad:

No matter how many people offer excellent explanations of the value of pressure and sacks and turnovers... some people just do not get it. Some folks just can not look beyond the points allowed or yards allowed statistics... or if they do look beyond, they think of the turnovers and sacks as just of marginal importance in comparison to what they incorrectly view as the more important prevention of points.

The fact is, we are amongst the worst in the league at creating points and easy scoring opportunities for our offense with our defense... even if we do rank among the best in points and yards allowed. It is a big part of the reason we don't score a lot of points. Our offense is not good, but it is not solely to blame for our lack of scoring. This weakness of our defense is significant and keeps it from being dominant... and while I would like us to have a dominant defense and dominant offense, I think the most successful teams prioritize building a top defense higher than offense. It's time we did the same.

The Ravens are a good model because what they have is so attainable. Their offense is not better than ours. And it really is within our grasp to make our defense comparable to theirs (which I think is why we are seeing them pop up in so many threads right now). We just need a couple genuine studs in that front 4. We are not going to become the New Orleans Saints on offense in one offseason, but I think we could become the Ravens on defense in one offseason (or something close to it).

To borrow from Blache our defense is what it is. We all knew going into this season that this defense was not going to be a great pass rushing team. What we did know was that we were usually strong against the run and that we had one of the best secondaries in the league. Unfortunately, the run defense took a hit with losing Daniels. Despite what a lot of people thought on this board, Daniels is a good player in the run game and he is missed.

No, the defense isn't going to win too many games on their own, but you shouldn't have to put your defense into position where they need to do it on a regular basis. The offense needs to go out there and produce to make things a little easier on the defense. Because when you hang your defense out to dry, they can't throw a shutout forever. Eventually they will wear down and the other team will score.

Most of the focus should be our production on offense, because that is what has always held this team down.

I disagree. Most Super Bowl defenses are very opportunistic and often score TDs and win games. We saw a glimpse of this in the WAS-TB playoff game in 2005 where our D won the game for us. Have we had a defensive TD recently?

The Steelers, Ravens & Titans all have less than stellar Offenses. Oh yeah, they can run the ball, but the passing game won't get these teams to the promised land. I'm no stat head, but I bet if you look at all the remaining playoff teams, they all get after the QB. I'll also wager they are among the league leaders in TO's. Hence, no pass rush pressure, no TO's-without them, no execellent field position or defensive TD's to help the O.

I dont understand why everyone is so worried about our pass rush. The highest point total we have give on up on defense this year is 24, and one of those times was because of Reggie Bush punt return. We usually only give up 14-18 points every game. If we had a decent offense, we could be 8-2 IMO. Pass rush is the least of my worries right now, because our defense is playing well.

i think most people here will agree our defense played very well as a whole. I think we need an oline first in the offseason. but think of it this way. taking into how well we played on d with NO pass rush. think how well our secondary did while the qb had as much time as he wanted to let routes develop. now take that great coverage and give the qb a baby amount of pressure and you have a whole lot more turnovers. pass rush would give us a ravens esk type d.

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

I'm no stat head, but I bet if you look at all the remaining playoff teams, they all get after the QB.

7 out of the Top 10 teams in sacks made the playoffs.

9 out of the Top 12 teams in sacks made the playoffs.

The Cowboys and Jets are ranked in the Top 10 but were knocked out of the playoffs in the final week of the regular season... The Eagles and Dolphins, also ranked in the Top 10.

One game you will need pressure because high profile QBs will find WRs open

QBs like McNabb, Manning, Romo sits to pee just to name a few. Just look how Jason Campbell was treated from a good pass rush.

A good blue chip DT is the cornerstone of a competitive ball club.

doesn't matter how good our defensive backs are, if we give a QB 7 secs to throw the ball they will burn us

100% correct!!!

even if you had the best secondary imaginable they will eventually get burned if QB is just sitting there waiting for someone to get open. we might as well pull 11 in coverage with this type of pass rush we had this past season. once we get some pass rush and our D can get 50+sacks and generate turnovers we can win even with crappy offense like we had this year. look at ravens, their offense is not that great but killing the opossing offense kinda puts their defense in bad spot and eventually will break down. we need pass rush and solid linebackers, I love me some killer linebackers. :applause:

What offense did our defense shut down?:doh:

Some of you guys really don't watch the games.

Saints:, #1 offense, average 410 yards per game.

Saints against skin's defense: 250 total yards. Drew Brees, one of the better passers, had only 216 yards. "Reggie" only had 28 yards. If that is not "shutting down" then I don't know what is.

Against Philadelphia, ranked 9 offense: We held them to 3 points the second time, and the first time they had 254 yards total offense.

Against Arizona, the mighty "Kurt Warner" had 192 yards passing. By the way, they finished 4th in offense and I think Warner lit it up too.

I could go on, but there is no need to. We shut the Browns offense down completely as well. To the guy that called me an idiot, if you think defense is a problem for this team, then I want to get some of what you are smoking.

Our lack of pass rush is due to the lack of pressure up the middle, and also the scheme. It doesn't matter who we have rushing the passer, we have a run-stopping scheme. One beast DT can change that. It is not a concern, because our defense has shown to hold offenses under 24 points consistently.

This is the problem with our team, we don't know what the true need is. Our offense finshed in the bottom of the league. Our defense finished top 5. If we dont acknowledge that this is our main concern, we will not be good next year. Offensive line is a MUCH bigger need than defensive line.

If that is not "shutting down" then I don't know what is.

But the point that is repeated over and over again and ignored by many is that "shutting down" offenses is not the only thing of value that a football defense can provide for its TEAM. The other thing of MAJOR value is something at which our defense has consistently been one of the worst teams in the league. This is not baseball. Points scored and points allowed are not independent processes in football. It is not just the offense that contributes to a TEAM being good at scoring points, and it is not just a defense that contributes to a TEAM being good at preventing points.

Archived