Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Offensive System would Suit the Skins

Soup

I''m not well versed with most of the offensive systems being implemented in the league, but I ask for your opinion. Which offensive system would you want the skins to run? I believe if run properly the west coast is the best, but that's only my opinion.

I want to know which system would suit this team and why?

I think we should run a couple more screens to Cooley and Portis, especially against those teams that like to blitz a lot. I noticed that, if there was one thing our offense found very effective in moving the ball against the Cowboys, it was the screen plays to Cooley and Portis. Essentially, those plays allow our linemen to do what they do best - run block.

As much as we wanted to employ the west coast offense, this offense is still built for Gibb's Air Coryell and it's probably what we've got to stick with in the short term with only a hint of west coast passing.

If we would get some recievers besides Moss to step up, our offense could get a lot more done. But you all know how that's going...

A Madden playbook, no doubt. ;)

Honestly, I like what we have going, run-oriented with a solid-if-our-OL-can-block-and-our-rookie-WR's-step-up passing offense.

Now, in time I think we can get rid of the "-if-our-OL-can-block-and-our-rookie-WR's-step-up", but hopefully its sooner rather than later.

The NFL made rules aimed for parity, and that's what it got. There's not much difference between the best team in the league and the worst.

In this NFL climate, Walsh's WCO does a better job of ball control than other schemes because it was originally designed to do it with mediocre talent.

You can't win without an effective passing game in the NFL. Currently, we don't have one because our receivers, as a group, are too small for the WCO's short passing game and our pass protection is sad.

The growth of Davis, Kelly and Thomas is one key to improving the team. Finding a good, young OT is another (I don't think Heyer is the answer).

There is too much talk across the media, fans and even coaches about systems in my opinion. The most important factor in my view is execution and critically offensive line play.

The passing system Zorn is installing is fine in my view. Its based on a system which has been very successful in the NFL. Our run game is tried and tested and again has been successful over multiple years here in Washington.

What we need to be more productive in terms of points is improved pass protection from our o'line and to develop a credible complementary outside receiver to make teams pay if they double Santana Moss every play.

For the later we have to give Thomas and Kelly a chance to develop and hope that at least one of them develops into that threat - though it may be next year now before we see that.

The O'line is the more difficult one. We need an upgrade at Centre and RT in my view. Heyer might be the RT upgrade - he is already better than Jansen at pass protection but needs to develop his run blocking. Centre we might need to address in the draft or free agency next offseason.

If we give Jason some time to execute you will start to see some more deep shots come naturally as he has time to let plays develop and Zorn gets more confidence in calling for deeper routes and slower developing plays. Right now Zorn feels that he has to call for quick throws as anything else risks getting his QB killed.

If we start to hit on deeper pass plays it will make our run game even more effective as teams will have to drop that extra defender out of the box and back their corners up a little as well and suddenly the whole play book opens up for you.

i think its more important to find players that fit the system rather then trying to find a system to fit the team.

Personally I feel its exactly the opposite. You are not starting with a blank piece of paper or the ability to turn over 50%+ of the roster even if you wanted to - the cap will not allow that.

We have to develop the system to maximise the talents of the players we have. Of course you look to fill holes and bring in players that fit what you want to run but you have to start from where you are not where you want to be. My :2cents:.

Which offensive system would you want the skins to run?

I like our running game so no changes there. (Spell Clinton more often)

THE PASSING GAME.....

I would want the Skins to run more of Coryell or vertical passing attack. I think Jason has the arm to be deadly in this type of system.

BUT our current offensive line would get Campbell killed' date=' so that's out.[/size']

I believe if run properly the west coast is the best' date=' but that's only my opinion.

I want to know which system would suit this team and why? [/quote']

The WCO is perfect for this team right now because it is designed to get the ball out quick and because the offensive line is struggling its essential that Campbell get the ball out quickly.

I would though make these 2 changes:

-Run the current quick passing game, but mix in more 4/5 wide and Shotgun formations, spread teams out like Green Bay did last year.

-Throw more 10-20 yard routes like: skinny post and.....

m_3ebc7a40fe7646d28880e0954641d0db.jpgm_8e8ce763282449a8a6d3e2824f04fa79.jpgm_130afdf0e0a141a3953073616a5863dd.jpgm_212eb7ae9b3c4c41a3a43f113b933b68.jpgm_624dae8e6a99455e9c231dac543e7966.jpgm_ad096060fbfd4bb6b0fbb6e44cfa646a.jpg<<Slant-Go

:2cents:

:cheers:

Good Thread

I want to know why everyone says Heyer is not the answer at RT? He was a rookie last year and stepped up and played a position he'd never played before at a decent level. Not saying he's the next Joe Jacoby, but I thought he had a decent year last year and was having a pretty good year this year until he hurt his shoulder. You guys are too damn impatient. HE WAS A ROOKIE (undrafted at that) last year and has started less than 16 games in his career. Good god, if a rookie doesn't come in and perform like a pro-bowler in the first game, you clowns want them gone.

We have some very good prospects on the line. Rhinehart, Heyer, Giesinger and Devin Clark on the team. Some will make it and some won't. We'll proabably bring back Brown next year (the guy from Appalachian state) and could bring Crummey back depending on if the Bengals want to keep him next year. All I hear is, "Get a RT with our 1st or get a RT with our 3rd rounder." Rhinehart was a 3rd rounder and he's been "Deactivated" all year. I'm not saying not to draft any linemen, but don't waste a pick if you don't need it. I'd much rather us get a center in the draft then a tackle. And folks, Samuels is getting older. We will need to replace him eventually.

All I'm saying is, don't judge some of these guys without a full season. I went to the preseason game against Carolina, and I saw Heyer and could not believe how HUGE this guy is. I mean, he stands ABOVE the other linemen. He's a mountain. Give him a damn chance and wasting picks. I'd rather get a DT and SSLB with our first and third picks. Or trade the 1st and get a couple of 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd. I'd try to get multiple picks like we did this year. And don't sleep on the later rounds for linemen. Horton proves every week it doesn't matter what round you were drafted in.

I want to know why everyone says Heyer is not the answer at RT?

Heyer did a decent job last year, but is not the long term solution. He can start for the Redskins, but we need a guy that can start for almost any team in the league like when Jansen was in his prime. The tackle positions are so important we need someone better than decent.

I think that the one that we are running right now is the one that fits this team. We run the ball effectively and once we get better at pass pro we will see the pass attack work a lot better.

So I say we should stick with what we got. Let it grow and what a dominant team be born.

What we have now with a little more vertical looks. With the protection woes we might need to use designed rollouts.

Also. We MUST MUST MUST use more playaction and draws

I'd would have to disagree a little with the rollouts, just because everytime I seen JC try to roll out he would get crushed especially when he rolls to his right.

But I do agree 100% that we should use more playaction and draws considering how well they worked when we used them and how well we do run the ball. I would like to see JC run a little more thats one thing that I think that he could help himself and the team with as far pass pro.

Archived