Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

good lord, whats up with my luck with flying dog beers? looks like my 6er of wildeman is oxidized. just like my raging ***** a couple of years ago. tastes like my dads homebrew. like wet moldy paper. yuck.

That happened to me with Nugget Nectar of all beers. :(

You're in Germantown though, if you head on down to Rockville and go to the Twinbrook Deli on Viers Mill Road, the Wildeman is there. Probably at all the stores down here but I know for sure it's there.

You're in Germantown though, if you head on down to Rockville and go to the Twinbrook Deli on Viers Mill Road, the Wildeman is there. Probably at all the stores down here but I know for sure it's there.

Is there anything better than getting a good six pack and a godfather hoagie from TB Deli? Probably not.

Drinking Breckenridge Vanilla Porter tonight....

breckenridge-vanilla-porter.jpg

One of my favorites.

It's a decent summer beer and very drinkable without being too carbonated, good alcohol content 5.4%. If it's there at a cookout, etc. I will drink it but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think Coors brews it.

Yep, it's a Coors beer, so is Killians, both of which try to insinuate that they're from other places to consumers (Belgium and Ireland). Blue Moon is an average beer IMO, there are a ton of others I'd rather drink but it's also better than a lot of the other macrobrews out there.

I'm getting married next month and we had to pick two domestics and two imports for the bar package at our reception and I was able to talk them into letting me take Blue Moon and Sam Adams as my domestics, which was awesome because they were originally telling us that only bud/miller/yuengling could be domestics.

i'm actually down that way at least once a week. i'll have to check it out.

Is there anything better than getting a good six pack and a godfather hoagie from TB Deli? Probably not.

TB Deli is legendary in Rockville, as you seem to know. It's my go-to beer store for the subs alone. I'm forever addicted to combining beer with their Italian Cold Cut.

If you can skip the sub, Belby's on 355 (not far from the Deli at all) has a very good selection of craft brews. A few stores down from Belbys is Rockville liquor store, which has a decent craft selection for extremely good prices.

Gilly's craft beer & fine wine is the best beer store in Rockville (maybe even Montgomery County), as far as selection goes. Prices are hefty, though.

Tonight is Vodka night, but tomorrow I might hit up Gillys for a mixed bag of tricks.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Also wanted to add that the one Orval Trappist I've had was skunked.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Yep, it's a Coors beer, so is Killians, both of which try to insinuate that they're from other places to consumers (Belgium and Ireland). Blue Moon is an average beer IMO, there are a ton of others I'd rather drink but it's also better than a lot of the other macrobrews out there.

I'm getting married next month and we had to pick two domestics and two imports for the bar package at our reception and I was able to talk them into letting me take Blue Moon and Sam Adams as my domestics, which was awesome because they were originally telling us that only bud/miller/yuengling could be domestics.

Very smart move, yeah now you get four good beer choices instead of being stuck with Bud, Coors, or Miller as your domestics. It's great marketing by Coors because I've come across some people that think Killians is an Irish import that is being ordered at pubs over there. :doh:

Btw, congrats in advance on the wedding. :cheers:

Blue Moon is one of the most well-known beers, I had no idea there were people who had never heard of it.

Anyone else going to the Rocktown Beer Festival tomorrow in Harrisonburg? I can't WAIT!

I'm not a beer expert, so it was weird that I hadn't heard of it until a few months ago, then even weirder that I saw a commercial for it.

Tonight is beer night and I don't know what to get, so I'll read through the last few pages and/or take suggestions. Thinking a relatively popular 6er for a craft beer. Not too expensive.

I just picked up a mixed 6er this weekend and one of the ones I really liked was Widmer Bros Spiced IPA (Rotator Series #4). It tastes just how it sounds: very balanced with some hoppy IPA flavor and a nice spicy finish, but not heavy on either.

I just picked up a mixed 6er this weekend and one of the ones I really liked was Widmer Bros Spiced IPA (Rotator Series #4). It tastes just how it sounds: very balanced with some hoppy IPA flavor and a nice spicy finish, but not heavy on either.

That's what I got, will let ya know what I think. I've had their Nelson IPA and Black IPA, both were average IMO, but"Spiced IPA" sounds awesome.

Widmer Brothers Rotator Series Spiced IPA

f403861ecde2ce74a333823e393d22b6_320x320.jpg

Very hazy, burnt orange color, small white head. Fantastic caramel & orange candy-like aroma. Flavor is the same, with a huge herbal hop presence. There are an array of spices in this beer, and it's easy to notice the pepper and ginger. After I read that it has black tea, cinnamon and clove in it, those flavors became somewhat apparent as well. Bitterness is high pitched, but not too strong. I tell ya, this is a fantastic beer. ABV is 7% and there is a ton going on here, she's a hefty one, I kind of wish I could have gotten a 3 pack of this. Two for now and 1 for the stash. Looks like it'll be 4 in the stash, and I'm not complaining. Thanks for the suggestion QBK (AKA Elvis Sinosic).

TB Deli is legendary in Rockville, as you seem to know. It's my go-to beer store for the subs alone. I'm forever addicted to combining beer with their Italian Cold Cut.

If you can skip the sub, Belby's on 355 (not far from the Deli at all) has a very good selection of craft brews. A few stores down from Belbys is Rockville liquor store, which has a decent craft selection for extremely good prices.

Gillys' craft beer & fine wine is the best beer store in Rockville (maybe even Montgomery County), as far as selection goes. Prices are hefty, though.

Tonight is Vodka night, but tomorrow I might hit up Gillys for a mixed bag of tricks.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Also wanted to add that the one Orval Trappist I've had was skunked.

My gf lives in Rockville, where is TB deli? And I'm glad to see two liquor store recommendations near her apartment. I've had a hard time finding decent places to get beer.

Edited by Skins4Life6388

My gf lives in Rockville, where is TB deli? And I'm glad to see two liquor store recommendations near her apartment. I've had a hard time finding decent places to get beer.

It's on Viers Mill Road near Twinbrook Parkway. Here it is on Google Maps

I got the Widmer Brothers beer there today. Ton of beer stores in Rockville. The store I didn't mention in the last post is Talbott Beer and Wine, which is almost right across from Best Buy on Rockville Pike. It's open until 1 in the morning every night of the week (and holidays).

Widmer Brothers Rotator Series Spiced IPA

Very hazy, burnt orange color, small white head. Fantastic caramel & orange candy-like aroma. Flavor is the same, with a huge herbal hop presence. There are an array of spices in this beer, and it's easy to notice the pepper and ginger. After I read that it has black tea, cinnamon and clove in it, those flavors became somewhat apparent as well. Bitterness is high pitched, but not too strong. I tell ya, this is a fantastic beer. ABV is 7% and there is a ton going on here, she's a hefty one, I kind of wish I could have gotten a 3 pack of this. Two for now and 1 for the stash. Looks like it'll be 4 in the stash, and I'm not complaining. Thanks for the suggestion QBK (AKA Elvis Sinosic).

Great review, glad you liked it man :cheers:

^

The label on that beer reminds me of something you'd see on a package of paper towels.

clip_image002_015.jpg

bounty-basic-paper-towels.png

Probably tastes like paper towels as well.

Tonight I'm having a Heavy Seas Pale Ale, stuff is fantastisch. Heavy Seas has my vote for best Maryland brewery, they stack up pretty well in the broad spectrum as well. They have their misses, but for each miss there are 3 hits, IMO.

I've been hesitant because its $6.90 a 12oz bottle, but I'll give it a go.

I had the chance to try this when I visited the Flying Dog brewery recently. It IS really good....

I had the Kujo too. It is a quality coffee stout.

Anyone ever try Full Sail? A friend mentioned trying their Amber Ale and Pale on a whim in a mixed sixer from wegman's. I may do that too.

I'm not a beer expert, so it was weird that I hadn't heard of it until a few months ago, then even weirder that I saw a commercial for it.

Seems popular up north, I'd never had it or even Yuengling till I went up there

Do they drink a lot of Shiner in your area? My sister lives in Ft. Worth and it's really popular around there.

Sure,it's on draft in many places,that and Dos XX are regulars