Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Ok the Draft is here what is everybody drinking during it

I going with The Breury- White Orchard and some Southern Tier -Hopsun

and to top it off Flying Dog- Woody Creek White(love this stuff)

If I do watch the draft then I'll be drinking something with a very low abv as I don't want my senses dulled and accidentally throw a bottle through my big screen when we draft a kicker at #10.

Drinking a bottle of DFH Palo Santo Marron right now (NFL draft).

Edit: We traded down to pick 16, so I'm pouring a bottle of Natty Bo in to a lager glass. :ols: Pale floral aroma over top of adjunct grains, grainy flavor, touch of hops. Same ole pale lager story, with a price at where it should be.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Tonight I had a few Heavy Seas Peg Legs

heavy-seas-peg-leg-bottle.jpg

Decent Imperial Stout, not an ass-kicker. A mixture of black coffee, dark chocolate and extra dark fruit. The body is not big, but more oily and fairly silky. It simply has too much carbonation. The flavor is fine and so is the body; the lively carbonation kills it for me. Somewhere in the B range.

Also had some Newcastle Brown Ale

newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

Great lookin' pour, large beige head with that deep mahogany shade. Basically all English malt on the nose. English malt dominates the flavor, it's fairly dry. Not much caramel, in fact there seems to be a touch of hoppy character to this brew. Not bad, not great.

Browsing Ratebeer.com this morning and stumbled upon the top 25 list for Black IPAs...the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale was ranked #1...

stone-sublimely.jpg

It's really good stuff but it's definitely a hell of a lot like the Ruination as far as the flavor and aroma go. It's colored black and has a large head. The aftertaste is smokey with lot of hops, but the initial taste is all IPA. It's a good beer, but seems like the Ruination disguised in black.

Drank this one now and will be aging the other bottle I got for a couple years, maybe even more since I didn't particularly love it to death.

Left Hand Milk Stout: tap

B+

All around solid brew better on tap than in the bottle, nice and smooth without a real sharp bitterness, very nice with the feta and chicken pizza I had for dinner.

Everything you'd expect from a milk/oatmeal stout, but really nothing that makes it excel.

Dark cola color,*

Opaque in center some daylight on the edges

Light colred thin head fades quickly that leaves a light lacing*

Little to know active carbonation

Sweet rich malty smell, choclates

Very light hoppyness

Rich malts and semi-sweet chocolates

Very little hops with little bitter aftertaste

Smooth thick mouthfeel light ephervesence

Some dryness*

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Has anyone has Blue Mountain Brewery beer yet? It's been around for a couple years now, local to my hometown. Absolutely delicious beer with good variety in their styles.

http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/

I've had it before...cant remember my review of it. I go to Rustico in Arlington and they have a bunch of their beers.

Grabbed a 4 pack of Unibroue Trois Pistoles (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) today, along with a Dogfish Immort Ale for the cellar.

unibroue-trois-pistoles.png

I'm having a big grilled chicken cesar salad with this brew tonight. Typical huge Belgian head. Looks black, but up close and next to a powerful light you can see that it's incredibly dark purple. Aroma is your typical Belgian (a lot of yeast, grapes, plums). As far as aroma, I'm not detecting the roastiness they advertise.

In the flavor I am getting a touch of roastiness, even a hint of chocolate, under what is a delayed punch of Belgian yeasts and dark fruits. A small hop content also comes forward as the flavors peak. Finish is calm with the malt settling you through it. Body is silky, carbonation is high as expected. The alcohol is ridiculously well-hidden.

I really like this one, it's a fine-tuned mix, fun to drink. A 9%'er you can easily catch yourself swigging.

Grabbed a 4 pack of Unibroue Trois Pistoles (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) today, along with a Dogfish Immort Ale for the cellar.

unibroue-trois-pistoles.png

I'm having a big grilled chicken cesar salad with this brew tonight. Typical huge Belgian head. Looks black, but up close and next to a powerful light you can see that it's incredibly dark purple. Aroma is your typical Belgian (a lot of yeast, grapes, plums). As far as aroma, I'm not detecting the roastiness they advertise.

In the flavor I am getting a touch of roastiness, even a hint of chocolate, under what is a delayed punch of Belgian yeasts and dark fruits. A small hop content also comes forward as the flavors peak. Finish is calm with the malt settling you through it. Body is silky, carbonation is high as expected. The alcohol is ridiculously well-hidden.

I really like this one, it's a fine-tuned mix, fun to drink. A 9%'er you can easily catch yourself swigging.

Just out of curiosity, "The lively carbonation killed it for me" when you drank the Peg Leg, but the "carbonation is high as expected" didn't kill it for the Trois Pistoles ?

Do you think that is because you didn't expect it from the Peg Leg, or maybe it's the difference in styles?

The reason that I ask is that I never thought Peg Leg had lively carbonation,(well...I suppose when compared to Guiness stout it does).

When compared to almost any imperial stout, the Peg Leg's carbo sticks out during the taste. And it's not really because it's overly-carbonated. There are stouts that naturally pour larger heads than the Peg Leg, and you still don't think about their carbonation until last. Perhaps it's that the Peg Leg has a silkier body than normal, but after a few sips the fizz in the mouth starts to become a dominant characteristic. To me at least.

Now, as far as Belgians, awesome carbonation is a cornerstone of the style. The yeasty/wine flavors and relatively average bodies go well with that overflow of carbonation.

Now I'm thirsty. The Peg Leg ain't bad, but the world of Imperial Stouts is a tough one to be in. Heavy Seas is a hit or miss brewery with me. The Hop3 is still one of my favorite beers altogether. Like it more than DFH's 90 and the Stone IPA. But something like the Below Decks, and even the Big DIPA, they just didn't hit for me. I know you said to age the Below Decks, but that's what aging does to beers that benefit from it. They get better, all of 'em. I could age the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout and die happy.

This all being said my friend...I'm pretty much set on getting the Loose Cannon now, after talking about it. Cheers!

When compared to almost any imperial stout, the Peg Leg's carbo sticks out during the taste. And it's not really because it's overly-carbonated. There are stouts that naturally pour larger heads than the Peg Leg, and you still don't think about their carbonation until last. Perhaps it's that the Peg Leg has a silkier body than normal, but after a few sips the fizz in the mouth starts to become a dominant characteristic. To me at least.

Now, as far as Belgians, awesome carbonation is a cornerstone of the style. The yeasty/wine flavors and relatively average bodies go well with that overflow of carbonation.

Now I'm thirsty. The Peg Leg ain't bad, but the world of Imperial Stouts is a tough one to be in. Heavy Seas is a hit or miss brewery with me. The Hop3 is still one of my favorite beers altogether. Like it more than DFH's 90 and the Stone IPA. But something like the Below Decks, and even the Big DIPA, they just didn't hit for me. I know you said to age the Below Decks, but that's what aging does to beers that benefit from it. They get better, all of 'em. I could age the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout and die happy.

This all being said my friend...I'm pretty much set on getting the Loose Cannon now, after talking about it. Cheers!

Ohhhhh! Got it. I don't care for Belgians....I've tried quite a few, and I just don't like them.

I find that I'd prefer more carbonation in the Peg Leg....but I'm not a big fan of stouts and don't know too much about 'em. It's funny that you mention the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout. That's my favorite stout. I really only ever buy Samuel Smith's or Peg Leg. As far as Heavy Seas beers, the Loose Cannon is my favorite. That being said, I no longer keep it in the rotation in the kegerator. The high ABV is the kicker. Victory Hop Devil has a permanent home in the kegerator. It's a fantastic beer and with a lower ABV, so you can drink more of it!!

This thread always makes me draw a pint!!!!

I know it is in here somewhere, but don't feel like doing the research. Basides maybe it's time to rediscuss anyway...

How many homebrewers in here? I've been at it for a few months and am loving it.

Messed up my first batch pretty bad by forgetting to put in 65% of my extract. DOH! Since them I think I'm pretty happy with what I've done. Opening another one Monday for the first time and going to dry hop a Citra IPA Monday too.

My old man got me a Mr. Beer kit two Christmases ago... made a batch of oatmeal stout, which is still aging. Opened a bottle up after 6 months and it tasted like a really bad Dry Irish Stout - Opened another one when they were a year old and it tasted like a decent Irish Stout :ols: Where's my oatmeal?! But because it actually started to taste somewhat like an actual beer, I decided to keep the batch bottled up. When I decide to do another one, I'll definitely look in to a better kit.

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA

loosecannon.jpg

Hazy amber with a yellow outline, creamy white head. Aroma is caramel sharing an entire half of the spotlight, while the other half is a mix of pine, citrus and flowers.

In the flavor, the hop bitterness isn't set at such a high tone. A heavy hop content, without the tongue-smackin' characteristic of say, the Sierra Nevada Torpedo. The hops are more "juicy" than anything. The caramel malt is all backbone. It's a little challenging to focus in on the caramel, but the hop content just radiates off of it. The body is pretty full, it's just one scrumptious IPA. Like a meal of hops. 93/100.

Hell or High Water Watermelon Wheat Beer

I must say, I'm really looking forward to knocking back several of these on the beach next weekend. Very light, refreshing and the hint of watermelon actually make this beer really nice.

I give this one a "must taste", check it out.

Popped open the Dogfish Head Immort Ale tonight

Immort-Ale_beer_medium.jpg

(Barley Wine)

Murky dark brown with a red accent, lots of sticky lacing. Awesome aroma of Belgian yeasts, leather, vanilla, dark fruit and caramel...the oak they age this in is also noticeable. Oak comes out even more in the flavor. Tons of smoke, I mean tons!. Sheesh! Huge with the smoked barley, guys, it's taking me back. Caramel and a strong English/Belgian yeast character. A real slight touch of hops as the beer gets warmer. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

The smoked barley is what it's about here, this tastes like a Quadruple or a dark Belgian Strong with smoked barley. The other flavors are kind of suffocated by the barley, but hell, it is a barley wine. Talk about a beer that would go well with a cigar...smokey flavor overload! Good pickup for sure! A- beer...let's say 92/100.

The Summer Ale, Noble Pils, Octoberfest and Winter Lager are all good craft beers to slam back when you're real thirsty. They don't go heavy with their seasonals, that's for sure.

It's hard for me to rank 'em. Probably go Winter Lager, Noble Pils, Summer Ale then the Octoberfest. Nothing against the Summer Ale, have it plenty of times on the Chesapeake every year. Nice wheat/lemon zest brew, good with seafood.