Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I'll have to try the Hop Wallop.

I have a keg of Hop Devil in the kegerator, and am currently enjoying a pint as I type this. :pint:

It is one of my favorite brews and one of the staples in the kegerator.

Please post your opinion of the Hop Devil.

Thanks!

It's dynomite, very similar to the Hop Wallop with it's sweetness and nice clean finish. I would reccomend trying the Hop Wallop once, but if the Hop Devil is a great every day beer that is very smooth.

Victory is 2 for 2 from me so far, I'm looking forward to trying their stout in the fall.

No love for Boddingtons? Love that beer after a meal. Or right before even. So smooth and delicious. I tend to love everything on nitro. Love those and love cask beers.

Ultimately my ratings are skewed because I have a distaste for "flat" and watery beers like draughts and English bitters. Along with fruit beers and lagers, I should review them on a different scale or something, if even at all.

It's dynomite, very similar to the Hop Wallop with it's sweetness and nice clean finish. I would reccomend trying the Hop Wallop once, but if the Hop Devil is a great every day beer that is very smooth.

Victory is 2 for 2 from me so far, I'm looking forward to trying their stout in the fall.

I found both the Hop Wallop and Hop Devil...If I remember correctly each are $15 a six pack. I think I'll look for a store that has single bottles. :paranoid: I am certainly interested though.

-

-

-

-

And a short review on a brew I kept around 'til it was bottled for a year...there is a slight difference to a freshly-bottled version of this stuff.

Dogfish Head Midas Touch (1 year old bottle)

Medium orange with mild cloudiness. Aroma up front with citrus, dark fruit and honey (like it says on the bottle). Taste is absolutely fantastic. Thick honey with grapes, oranges and bananas. A tingly spice and warmth of alcohol finishes it off real strong. Mouthfeel is medium-thick and coating. Thin aftertaste of honey coats the mouth. Throat and stomach are nice and warm. Honestly, this is a taste that would be appropriate all year 'round. This beer is great as it is, but aging it to a year old made it better. Will be putting a four pack of this in the cellar.

A (96)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Hop Wallop is 10.99

Hop Devil is 9.99

Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA 7.99

Flying Dog - 6.99

Heavy Seas 8.50

They also have mix and match 6 packs with a 10 percent discount.

Double, you should make a trip and stock up with several cases. They might even give case discounts.

Just curious what did you pay for the Ruiniation?

I found this place in Hagerstown that sells these beers for dirt cheapn 9.99 a 6er. I picked up a 6er of smuttynose ipa for 6.99 and a 6 er of Lancaster Hop Hog for 7.99. They have ridiculous prices on beer with a very good selection.

What's the place? I might be passing through in the next couple weeks.

Ok, I've now tried all three and my favorite is definitely the #6, the #10 is good and I would rate it on par with the #8, but for me I'm going back to the #6 and I'm really glad I picked a #6 up when I grabbed the #10.

393_632824259078125000.jpg

Appearance 4.5: dark caramel coloring, moderate particulate floating, head builds quickly with a medium to light density even with a fairly soft pour. The head is ivory white and fades to a thin layer fairly quickly. The brew is cloudy and only allows light to penetrate on the edges, something I would expect from a stout more than a Belgian Ale. The brew looks to have at least a moderate level of carbonation. Little to no lacing on my glass.

Smell 4: light spices, some fruity sweetness, maybe mild bananas or raisins

Taste 4.5: very fruity but not heavy, floral hops with a light bitterness. Not a real present malt flavor. Flows on the tongue smoothly then begins to tingle with the carbonation. The floral hops is really the dominant flavor, but it finishes with a flash of mild fruits that were evident in the aroma. A tinge of hoppy bitterness at the finish. Well balanced favoring the floral hops but not over powering.

Mouthfeel 4: medium carbonation, medium body, smooth in the mouth and on the tongue, tingly with the carbonation.

Drinkability 4.5: Not a session beer by any stretch, but certainly drinkable as an even sit down brew, I don't think I'd have this with a meal. I can definitely feel the alcohol warming, and I certainly wouldn't get behind the wheel right now.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

That head literally looks like a sponge was stuffed in the glass. Nice review, ASF! Makes me want the #6 even more, though. :ols:

Yeah, I was actually surprised at how much the head built on the 10. I'm thinking about picking up the 8 and 10 again and this time aging them about a year, the tasting notes for them say that at about a year the carbonation drops off making them much smoother.

Hop Wallop is 10.99

Hop Devil is 9.99

Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA 7.99

Flying Dog - 6.99

Heavy Seas 8.50

They also have mix and match 6 packs with a 10 percent discount.

Double, you should make a trip and stock up with several cases. They might even give case discounts.

Those are great prices. The Dogfish beers are around $1.00 higher here, and the Heavy Seas range from $8.49 to $9.00, exclusive of the Below Decks.

Want to save real money? Buy a kegerator.

Seriously.

Depending on the kind of beer, I save an average of $130.00 purchasing by the keg, over the case price.

Here's a real life example. (Well...almost real-life, because my beer guy gave me a $20.00 break on my latest keg purchase)

My latest purchase, a keg of Hop Devil, cost me $130.00.

You get 165 12oz beers out of a 1/2 keg, which rings in at about $0.79 per 12oz serving.

That same beer, purchased by the case for $38.00 rings in at $1.58 per serving. I'm saving $0.80 per glass which is a savings of $132.00 over the case price.

Did I mention that I'm a cheap ****?

You do have to take in consideration of the electricity used by the kegerator, (which is minimal), and the cost of CO2 fills, ($15.00 per 5lb bottle...but I get my fills for free:D). You get about 6-7 kegs out of a 5lb bottle. You also need to have a beer-line cleaning kit. Mine cost $45.95.

The only "drawback", is that you really need to like the beer, because you have 15+ gallons of it!!

What I do is tap the type of beers that are drinkable all the time, (Loose Cannon, Hop Devil, HellRazer, etc).

Because I like so many types of beers, I just pick up six pack of different stuff for variety.

A good, quality, kegerator will cost you around $1,000.00. There are much cheaper models out there, but you'll kinda get what you pay for. A lot of people build their own kegerators, with kegerator conversion kits. I think that is the way to go. You get everything you need, (shank, faucet, coupler, regulators, CO2 bottle, hoses & fittings), for less than $200.00. Pick up a used refrigerator from Craiglist, garage sales, whatever, and you're set.

Plus, you get the added bonus of brewery fresh draft beer, which is the best way to enjoy beer.

Did I forget to mention that I'm a cheap ****? :silly:

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Yeah, I was actually surprised at how much the head built on the 10. I'm thinking about picking up the 8 and 10 again and this time aging them about a year, the tasting notes for them say that at about a year the carbonation drops off making them much smoother.

Double should drink them the day they get bottled then.

Double, if you accidentally get an aged one, just mix it with soda water so it isn't so "flat". :silly:

Double should drink them the day they get bottled then.

Double, if you accidentally get an aged one, just mix it with soda water so it isn't so "flat". :silly:

Oh you were just waiting to pounce on me for that weren't you!?! :ols: Cold man, ice cold. Almost cold enough to where the Boddington's is tolerable.

Got me one of these tonight:

And had to "settle" for this when I couldn't find the Imperial Ruskie:

Honestly, I didn't know I was getting one of the best IPAs on the planet when I bought it. Never did any research on it at all. Very excited! Cooling 'er down as I type.

One of my favorite beers. So good.

Edited by Blackest Eyes

One of my favorite beers. So good.

Yeah, it certainly is. I don't know if it was the wide Chimay glass or what, but I don't feel like it complimented the aroma at all (among other things). I kept hearing that the Chimay glass was the best all-around glass for craft brews, but it certainly didn't do the IPA any favors. I really want to try that beer in something with a "bulb" shape, I don't think it got a fair shake. Won't even post the review until I do.

That said, I'm going to try the DFH 90 minute in the Chimay tonight, and if it smells/tastes/looks the same as it does in something more "bulbed" then I guess the Stone IPA is a little underwhelming as far as what I expected.

The taste of the Stone IPA is freakin' wild. Such a huge smack of bitter citrus with very articulate grass switching in to pine. Creamy apricot color, creamy white head, it's got signs of being something epic, I just think I need to try it in something else.

Dog Fish Head 60 IPA is excellent. Had one while cooking home made schezuan pork(extra spicy via an over dosing of sirachi :) ), saffron rice and corn on the cob and one with the meal.

Very nice beer, lots of sweet citrus and smooth hops. It paired perfectly with the sweet and extra make you sweat spiciness.

2 thumbs up

For the past two years now I've had a strict routine of picking up twelve DFH 60 Minute IPAs every time I go to the boat my family shares. It just goes so well when cruising around the bay. Love it while eating crabs and smoked flounder, as well. It's just perfect for that scene.

Yesterday I went to the Dogfish Head Alehouse to treat a friend of mine for her birthday (it was actually a huuuuuuge secret that I was treating myself :)). I got the beer sampler and the Rustic Burger. Holy **** man, it's a half pound wood grilled burger and is way more than enough. I ate half, had some fries, and took it home for lunch the next day.

The sampler is great, six 4oz glasses. They were out of 60 Minute IPA so I got the Chicory Stout instead (hell yeah). It went 90 minute, Shelter PA, Raison D'Etre, Indian Brown Ale, Chicory Stout, and their seasonal Festina Peche. That stuff had a distinct sweet tart flavor and was extremely transparent yellow. Pretty much like a light macro beer. Interesting flavor for sure, will probably pick up a single of it next trip to the store.

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Espresso-Oak-Aged-Yeti-Imperial-Stout_beer_medium.jpg

Thick, motor oil black with a red hue and an awesome looking rich chocolate head. It looks so tasty that it's hard to look at without taking a sip.

Aroma is rich chocolate, cookie dough and a vanilla milkshake with a plum and some simmering charcoal. You can tell this beer is packed with flavor just from the look and aroma. It might be a bigger feat to make something that looks and smells this good to taste average.

Mouthfeel is thick, taste splashes with chocolate and smokey roasted malt. Vanilla isn't nearly as prominent as it advertises on the label, but it peeps its head out initially. Dark coffee is the undertone, but the smokey roast and chocolate dominates. Hops do have a bite and are noticeable more towards the aftertaste. Nice alcohol warmth on the back of the throat. Aftertaste is smoke and burnt wood.

This beer is just amazing. One of those dynamic Stouts that reminds us why we like exploring the world of craft beer.

A (97)

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Thick, motor oil black with a red hue and an awesome looking rich chocolate head. It looks so tasty that it's hard to look at without taking a sip.

Aroma is rich chocolate, cookie dough and a vanilla milkshake with a plum and some simmering charcoal. You can tell this beer is packed with flavor just from the look and aroma. It might be a bigger feat to make something that looks and smells this good to taste average.

Mouthfeel is thick, taste splashes with chocolate and smokey roasted malt. Vanilla isn't nearly as prominent as it advertises on the label, but it peeps its head out initially. Dark coffee is the undertone, but the smokey roast and chocolate dominates. Hops do have a bite and are noticeable more towards the aftertaste. Nice alcohol warmth on the back of the throat. Aftertaste is smoke and burnt wood.

This beer is just amazing. One of those dynamic Stouts that reminds us why we like exploring the world of craft beer.

A (97)

Saw this in one of my beer stores. Since I don't like coffee I tend to shy away from coffee themed stouts. I didn't hear any coffee in your review though. I assumed there were coffee beans in it since it is an "espresso stout".

Saw this in one of my beer stores. Since I don't like coffee I tend to shy away from coffee themed stouts. I didn't hear any coffee in your review though. I assumed there were coffee beans in it since it is an "espresso stout".

I said there is a dark coffee undertone because the chocolate and smokey roast dominates. It may taste like an espresso, but admittedly I've never had one. One thing is for sure, if espressos taste like a bunch of chocolate and roasted malts, then this beer tastes like an espresso!

Finally come around to get another bottle of this stuff. Got a couple bottles for my birthday last year and was totally blindsided by the taste. Time to inspect the unexpected:

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

120-Minute-IPA_beer_medium.jpg

Mildly hazy orangish-amber with a yellow hue. Small greyish-white head that diminishes quickly.

Aroma is a plume of dank syrupy flavors: Sweet citrus and flower hops with butter and caramel. Huge booze note, kind gives a sense of a bathroom cleaning spray. This aroma is actually pretty enjoyable.

This is obviously a slow-sipper. A bomb of sweet (not exactly bitter) fruity hops storm the taste buds with caramel malt entering the war zone soon after. Hot Tamales, Twizzlers, Bourbon, cooking wine.

The biggest factor in this brew is that the booze is prevalent throughout the tasting. If you're used to beers with very high alcohol content, this might not take a lot to get used to. But beware if you're expecting something close to the 90 minute IPA. There is a huge gap in intensity.

The 90 Minute and 60 Minute IPAs are well balanced, scrumptious brews that you can sip and forget or sip and enjoy thoroughly. The 120 is something that will remind you that you're drinking it with each sip. It really all comes down to drinking it at a pace where you can enjoy it without being taken back by the intensity.

The oily body only adds to the brute force of this brew. It's kind of like a liqueur. I'd venture to guess if you blindfolded a bunch of random people and gave them the 120, the majority would say it's a liqueur.

This beer is probably the most unique I've ever had. It is obviously polarizing, so take my grading with a grain of salt if you disagree. I can certainly see the other side of the argument. Just last year I acquired two bottles of this stuff and was almost angry that I didn't choose something else. Now, I actually plan on getting this beer more often.

A (93)