Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players we wanted to draft and their stats

NAC386

All of you guys already deeming our 2nd rounders useless and how we had a chance to get better players even at the WR position are probably the same people who thought Rocky McIntosh was a bust and the REAL reason we traded up was for D'Qwell friggin' Jackson.

Thomas is AND was a project. Everone knew that. He was a HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD prospect that had to be DEVELOPED. Malcolm Kelly was a first round talent who fell out of the first because of a temper tantrum and his slow 40-time (don't give me the crap about how "everyone" knew about his knees).

From all reports, Kelly was looking real good in camp and unfortunately, he got injured. Even though he has yet to play any significant time, Zorn thinks HIGHLY ENOUGH about him NOT TO PLACE HIM ON IR.

The most frustrating thing about Skins fans is that over 50% of the fanbase seem to love to *****, criticize the FO for EVERY MOVE, and they'd rather be right than the Redskins do good.

That's not the point...the point is that WAY too many on here kept thinking that "if only we had drafterd a DE/CB/Whatever, instead of "three pass catchers"!!", as if drafting a DE or CB would have automatically meant impressive production from them by now. This thread, to me at least, clearly shows that none of those players would have made a bit of difference in where we're at right now...for example, Campbell's 14 tackles would not have made one iota of difference to how good the team is currently playing. He wouldn't be starting ahead of Evans, who has 14 tackles as well but also has 4 sacks to go along with them. And while Phillips is playing well, Horton is playing better...so we're not missing out on anything by not being able to draft him. At least not right now...

If anything, those stats show that it is indeed more difficult to make an immediate impact as a rookie wr than it is at almost every other position.

Why wouldn't Campbell be starting ahead of Evans?

I think it's also critical to note that the Skins entered this season with ALL their starters in place already. Philly, Denver, and several other teams didn't, that's key for what a rookie will do because the staff will push a guy more when he is NEEDED rather than just WANTED to step up.

I do think it's time for the Skins to start pushing these guys a bit. But, I am very pleased with what the future holds with the guys who are on the roster and what they should be able to do next year.

I was always a big fan of DeSean Jackson. But he wasn't exactly an ES favorite.

I just don't know how you let that kind of speed and football instincts slip so late in the draft. I remember watching the Cal - TN game from last year, thinking "holy **** who in the hell is that, he's a blur". Nobody on TN good catch him much less tackle him. This was an upper-tier SEC defense, not Arizona State.

The knock on Jackson was that he was too small. I never got that one. :whoknows: I've seen lots of guys not make it at the WR position since I've been following football. Never seen one for "he's too small". "He's got incredible speed, incredible instincts, he's smart, and he runs great routes- but we cut him because he's small". :doh:

Of course, I'll be the first to admit I'm no draft expert- far from it- I also advocated taking Marcus Monk. I think he got cut in training camp :doh:

Why wouldn't Campbell be starting ahead of Evans?

Evans is a better player right now, that's why. Campbell probably wouldn't be seeing much more playing time than Jackson is now, I haven't seen him do anything so far that suggests he was anything more than a depth player. Maybe as the season progresses, his potential blossoms, but as of now, nothing special.

These are the players that I remember most of us wanting to draft that we passed on and how they are doing so far.

Calais Campbell (Cardinals)- 14 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 FF, does not start

Limus Sweed (Steelers)- 4 catches, 39 yards, does not play

Phillip Merling- 15 tackles, 1 sack, started 2 games

Jordy Nelson- 20 catches, 228 yards, 1 TD, does not start but is having a decent rookie year recieving and returning kicks.

Kenny Phillips- 40 tackles, 1 int, started 1 game (I actually think Horton is a better player).

You missed a few and the fact that several of us wanted to draft a CB, do to depth and injury issues. Several names come to mind and all look to be performing up to snuff.

1. Aqib Talib 10 tkls 3 Ints 9 Pass Defenses

2. Brandon Flowers 37tkls 2 Ints 8 PDs and 1 TD

3. Antoine Cason 40 tkls 1 Int 1 FF 5 PDs

I didnt include McK and Cromartie because we didnt have a chance at them.

The DE we talked about included:

1. Derrick Harvey 9 tks 1.5 sacks 2PD 1 Int

2. Lawrence Jackson 19 tkls 2 sacks

To be fair all these rookies even the ones you mentioned are doing just as good if not better than our current starters and the most of the "Rooks" are not starters !!

1. Jason Taylor 12tkls 1 sack 7 PD

2. Andre Carter 23 tkls 2 sacks 1 PD

1. Rogers, Carlos 38 Tckls 1 Int 16 PD

2. Smoot, Fred 38 Tckls 1 Int 7 PD

3. Springs, Shawn 16 1 Int 2 Int 1 sack

You missed a few and the fact that several of us wanted to draft a CB, do to depth and injury issues. Several names come to mind and all look to be performing up to snuff.

1. Aqib Talib 10 tkls 3 Ints 9 Pass Defenses

2. Brandon Flowers 37tkls 2 Ints 8 PDs and 1 TD

3. Antoine Cason 40 tkls 1 Int 1 FF 5 PDs

I didnt include McK and Cromartie because we didnt have a chance at them.

The DE we talked about included:

1. Derrick Harvey 9 tks 1.5 sacks 2PD 1 Int

2. Lawrence Jackson 19 tkls 2 sacks

To be fair all these rookies even the ones you mentioned are doing just as good if not better than our current starters and the most of the "Rooks" are not starters !!

1. Jason Taylor 12tkls 1 sack 7 PD

2. Andre Carter 23 tkls 2 sacks 1 PD

1. Rogers, Carlos 38 Tckls 1 Int 16 PD

2. Smoot, Fred 38 Tckls 1 Int 7 PD

3. Springs, Shawn 16 1 Int 2 Int 1 sack

That's why I awknowledged there were more that I couldn't remember. But we didn't have a chance at Aqib Talib, he was gone at pick #20. Brandon Flowers and Cason have not outperformed Carlos Rogers , he has 16 passes defended. Brandon Flowers is more of a zone defender than a man-to-man guy and I do not think he would perform well at all being that he is kinda slow for a man-to-man CB.

Harvey was a #8 overall draft pick, not even close to where we were.

Evans is a better player right now, that's why. Campbell probably wouldn't be seeing much more playing time than Jackson is now, I haven't seen him do anything so far that suggests he was anything more than a depth player. Maybe as the season progresses, his potential blossoms, but as of now, nothing special.

And your assessment that Evans is better than Campbell is based on what? Be careful how you answer.

That's why I awknowledged there were more that I couldn't remember. But we didn't have a chance at Aqib Talib, he was gone at pick #20. Brandon Flowers and Cason have not outperformed Carlos Rogers , he has 16 passes defended. Brandon Flowers is more of a zone defender than a man-to-man guy and I do not think he would perform well at all being that he is kinda slow for a man-to-man CB.

Thats not the point. The fact is your mentioning "rookies" that dont even start at this point. Who knows how good they will be. Most ESers wanted either a WR/DE/DT or CB. Everyone mentioned has done well enough if not better then most of our starters with the exception of Carlos(Who expected that!).

I can tell you we wanted Merling. We couldve had him in round 1. He's doing very well in Miami even with them playing a 3-4 set.

JT or a young Merling/Campbell?

Thats not the point. The fact is your mentioning "rookies" that dont even start at this point. Who knows how good they will be. Most ESers wanted either a WR/DE/DT or CB. Everyone mentioned has done well enough if not better then most of our starters with the exception of Carlos(Who expected that!).

I can tell you we wanted Merling. We couldve had him in round 1. He's doing very well in Miami even with them playing a 3-4 set.

JT or a young Merling/Campbell?

1) That IS the point. The rookies most mentioned on here as picks fans wanted us to draft aren't really outperforming the guys we DID draft as of date. So that's who he listed. How a player who was drafted before we would have had a chance at him is doing, nonetheless one that was drafted in the top 10--nonetheless ones that we weren't even talking about before the draft-- is completely irrelevant.

2) "Who knows how well they could be"?...Exactly. Who knows how well Thomas, Kelly and Davis could be. So fans blasting them for not contributing more now, yet praising other rookies with similar limited production, because "who knows how well they could be", is disingenuous at best.

And to think of all the endless "Limus Swede" arguments this past off-season. :doh:

Amuses the hell out of me how we keep having endless threads and posts about how our '08 draft class was a failure, 9 GAMES IN!

I'll criticise Danny boy and Vinny C as much as the next man where it's due, and boy has it been over the years, but together with the Z-Man, they drafted real well this past summer in the main.

A stud wide out in Kelly, when he get's over the knee problem, another big receiving threat in Thomas; a fast, pass catching TE in the Cooley mold in Davis who should confuse the hell out of teams when he's up to speed in those vaunted two TE sets we heard so much about; a STEAL of a safety in Horton, and great future depth in Rinehart, Jackson & Brennan. Hell, even Brooks, on the face of it, looked a sure pick.

It's frustrating as hell I know, particularly at wide out, but assimilating to life as a pro from life as a college kid takes time. If were still having the same issues deep into next season, that will be another story. Until then, patience folks. Trust in the Z-Man's judgement.

:dallasuck Hail. :wewantd:

(And i know you aren't saying the draft class was a failure NAC386, this was a general piece to those that are.).

A stud wide out in Kelly, when he get's over the knee problem, another big receiving threat in Thomas; a fast, pass catching TE in the Cooley mold in Davis who should confuse the hell out of teams when he's up to speed in those vaunted two TE sets we heard so much about

A stud with kelly, man thats a joke.

Thomas a threat, to who?

Davis fast, when and where did you see this?

Look these guys may turn out to be good players, but you talk as if they are pro bowl material, NOT!

1) That IS the point. The rookies most mentioned on here as picks fans wanted us to draft aren't really outperforming the guys we DID draft as of date. So that's who he listed. How a player who was drafted before we would have had a chance at him is doing, nonetheless one that was drafted in the top 10--nonetheless ones that we weren't even talking about before the draft-- is completely irrelevant.

2) "Who knows how well they could be"?...Exactly. Who knows how well Thomas, Kelly and Davis could be. So fans blasting them for not contributing more now, yet praising other rookies with similar limited production, because "who knows how well they could be", is disingenuous at best.

:applause: Exactly, that was the point I was making with this thread. Some other people on here have serious comprehension problems.

Archived