Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players we wanted to draft and their stats

NAC386

These are the players that I remember most of us wanting to draft that we passed on and how they are doing so far.

Calais Campbell (Cardinals)- 14 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 FF, does not start

Limus Sweed (Steelers)- 4 catches, 39 yards, does not play

Phillip Merling- 15 tackles, 1 sack, started 2 games

Jordy Nelson- 20 catches, 228 yards, 1 TD, does not start but is having a decent rookie year recieving and returning kicks.

Kenny Phillips- 40 tackles, 1 int, started 1 game (I actually think Horton is a better player)

Not much to write home about. I know people keep mentioning D.Jackson because of the numbers he is putting up, but honestly nobody on here wanted to draft him from what I remember. WAY more people wanted Limas Sweed and he is useless so far, and lots of people wanted C.Campbell or Merling, but they aren't producing so far at all either.

Does this mean these players will never produce? No, it just means it takes time usually.

I can't remember who else was really popular on here that we actually had a chance to get, but these are the ones I recall having large followings. It doesn't make me feel MUCH better about our rookie WRs failing to produce, but it helps a little bit.

I seem to remember a lot of people wanting Manningham as well...

Manningham - 1 catch, 6 yards, 0 TDs

As well as saying we could have had Trevor Laws...

Laws - 7 tackes, 0 sacks, 0 games started

It's nothing really against any of these rookies, different situations and circumstances dictate their playing time, etc...but yeah, none of them are doing anything that we should be looking at and say "See? I was RIGHT!" lol...

Campbell is the one that still hurts.

And will really hurt should Taylor decide not to play next year.

Taylor said he'll finish out his contract and possibly play longer (which I'm sure we'll make him do by a year or so to lower his cap number).

I dont take Taylor as a guy who wouldn't stick to his word, but I do see what you mean.

You can never compare stuff like this. Any number of the players the OP mentioned could have unique circumstances as to why they arent playing, starting or whatever. I always found it silly to even try and compare.

I agree you can't compare because each situation is unique. I'm not doing this for the sake of comparison, it's just to check up on how they are doing.

And to think of all the endless "Limus Swede" arguments this past off-season. :doh:

Amuses the hell out of me how we keep having endless threads and posts about how our '08 draft class was a failure, 9 GAMES IN!

I'll criticise Danny boy and Vinny C as much as the next man where it's due, and boy has it been over the years, but together with the Z-Man, they drafted real well this past summer in the main.

A stud wide out in Kelly, when he get's over the knee problem, another big receiving threat in Thomas; a fast, pass catching TE in the Cooley mold in Davis who should confuse the hell out of teams when he's up to speed in those vaunted two TE sets we heard so much about; a STEAL of a safety in Horton, and great future depth in Rinehart, Jackson & Brennan. Hell, even Brooks, on the face of it, looked a sure pick.

It's frustrating as hell I know, particularly at wide out, but assimilating to life as a pro from life as a college kid takes time. If were still having the same issues deep into next season, that will be another story. Until then, patience folks. Trust in the Z-Man's judgement.

:dallasuck Hail. :wewantd:

(And i know you aren't saying the draft class was a failure NAC386, this was a general piece to those that are.).

And to think of all the endless "Limus Swede" arguments this past off-season. :doh:

Amuses the hell out of me how we keep having endless threads and posts about how our '08 draft class was a failure, 9 GAMES IN!

I'll criticise Danny boy and Vinny C as much as the next man where it's due, and boy has it been over the years, but together with the Z-Man, they drafted real well this past summer in the main.

A stud wide out in Kelly, when he get's over the knee problem, another big receiving threat in Thomas; a fast, pass catching TE in the Cooley mold in Davis who should confuse the hell out of teams when he's up to speed in those vaunted two TE sets we heard so much about; a STEAL of a safety in Horton, and great future depth in Rinehart, Jackson & Brennan. Hell, even Brooks, on the face of it, looked a sure pick.

It's frustrating as hell I know, particularly at wide out, but assimilating to life as a pro from life as a college kid takes time. If were still having the same issues deep into next season, that will be another story. Until then, patience folks. Trust in the Z-Man's judgement.

:dallasuck Hail. :wewantd:

(And i know you aren't saying the draft class was a failure NAC386, this was a general piece to those that are.).

:applause: This guy makes sense. I agree totally, give it some time. Most rookies take time, and ours are no different. Would it be nice to have one of the exceptions? Sure...oh wait, we do and his name is Horton.

we really should be discussing this in 2010 or 2011.

By then we'll know the following:

1. Are Thomas, Kelly and Davis either starters or a key backup (Davis our #2 TE)?

2. Rinehart a starter? (he should be)

3. Is Horton still the stud we think he is now?

4. Is Colt Brennan our #2 QB (or better)?

5. Are Moore and Jackson still on the team and are quality depth players?

6. Did Durrant Brooks turn his career around and is on our team or another?

7. Did any of the current 8 Redskins rookies (not yet cut) if traded or released are still in the NFL?

I was always a big fan of DeSean Jackson. But he wasn't exactly an ES favorite.

I just don't know how you let that kind of speed and football instincts slip so late in the draft. I remember watching the Cal - TN game from last year, thinking "holy **** who in the hell is that, he's a blur". Nobody on TN good catch him much less tackle him. This was an upper-tier SEC defense, not Arizona State.

The knock on Jackson was that he was too small. I never got that one. :whoknows: I've seen lots of guys not make it at the WR position since I've been following football. Never seen one for "he's too small". "He's got incredible speed, incredible instincts, he's smart, and he runs great routes- but we cut him because he's small". :doh:

Of course, I'll be the first to admit I'm no draft expert- far from it- I also advocated taking Marcus Monk. I think he got cut in training camp :doh:

I was always a big fan of DeSean Jackson. But he wasn't exactly an ES favorite.

I just don't know how you let that kind of speed and football instincts slip so late in the draft. I remember watching the Cal - TN game from last year, thinking "holy **** who in the hell is that, he's a blur". Nobody on TN good catch him much less tackle him. This was an upper-tier SEC defense, not Arizona State.

The knock on Jackson was that he was too small. I never got that one. :whoknows: I've seen lots of guys not make it at the WR position since I've been following football. Never seen one for "he's too small". "He's got incredible speed, incredible instincts, he's smart, and he runs great routes- but we cut him because he's small". :doh:

Of course, I'll be the first to admit I'm no draft expert- far from it- I also advocated taking Marcus Monk. I think he got cut in training camp :doh:

Funny how that is the exact opposite of the Mix mancrushes on here.

"Sure he only has a few career catches, he has had questionable work habit, some injury concerns, and a lack of instincts as a WR, but he's just too TALL to cut"

haha

DeSean Jackson is contributing to the Eagles, but he's not what we needed at the time. We already have a shorter, elusive and extremely fast WR in Santana Moss. Kelly was exactly what we needed, and Thomas had loads of talent. No regrets. :2cents:

DeSean Jackson is contributing to the Eagles, but he's not what we needed at the time. We already have a shorter, elusive and extremely fast WR in Santana Moss. Kelly was exactly what we needed, and Thomas had loads of talent. No regrets. :2cents:

It doesn't matter how tall or short a WR is. Production is production, bottom line.

And bottom line, we could use some production opposite Santana at the WR position. We haven't had any since he's been here.

It doesn't matter how tall or short a WR is.

It matters when your receivers are too short to step up and make a catch at the goal line. Cooley would qualify, but he's regularly double-teamed. You of all people couldn't have missed the 500 threads we had on this subject last November.

Archived