Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would you Rather Sign Golston or Montgomery?

Soup

Let's play GM, Both Golston and Monty are free agents after the year. I've been trying to see which of the two would be a better player in the future. If the skins decided to sign one of these guys back during the offseason.

These two are a riddle, I've seen them play well at times but on other occasions they both seem to play poorly. I don't think the skins will sign both and they may also just decide to just drop both of them. But, what I want to know is, which of these two would you want to see back and why?

Golston has come along and been both a good run stuffer and able to put pressure up the middle. He won't let Montgomery get significant playing time. That said i think both could be signed relatively inexpensively and I'd like to see both of them back.

Agree, agree, agree.

Golston has done EVERYTHING the coaches have asked of him. He came into the league a little under 300. He put on weight last year to get up to the 320 range. When coaches asked him to lose weight this year he lost it and got back under 300. He has produced since day one and has never had a negative word to say or problem on/off the field.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't sign both of these guys. The fact is they are both rotational guys. Neither one has proved they can be an every down presence. They do however both provide good depth and spot starter status.

Long and short, bring them both back but neither deserve starter money.

I think this thread is just supposed to be hypothetical. We probably can resign both but the OP just wants to know who we think is more valuable.

I would push to resign Golston, but honestly, I think we should resign both and let Griffin go. We keep both our good young DTs.

The problem is we don't need 2 role playing DTs. We need at least 1 big time DT to be a force in the middle and actually collapse the pocket, which neither of them can do. Griffin is getting old which means we really do need to be looking for a stud DT.

I say we resign Montgomery, keep Griffin another year, and sign a stud DT or draft one in the 1st 3 rounds. That way we keep our captain around, we keep our role player around, and we have a young beast to take over for Griffin the following year.

I think Golston is the overall better player. Montgomery seems to be basically just a big body in the middle.

I don't expect there to be lot of competition for either one though. My prediction, they both explore FA, set their market, and the Skins re-sign Golston with a decent salary, and Monte comes back cause he couldn't anything real anywhere else.

I'd much rather keep Montgomery. The guy is great at clogging the holes and stopping the running game, and seeing as how our DEs are undersized, we need a guy like that in the middle. Gholston is definitely a better pass rusher, but I don't like his play against the run (even though he seems to have improved on that the past few weeks).

If it were up to me, I'd definitely try to sign both, but if they were asking for too much and I could only pick one, I'd go with Montgomery, and then do what it takes and sign Hayneworth in FA. I'd then release Cornelius and then offer Golston a better deal. :)

Golston has shown steady improvement and pass rush ability. Considering how important home grown pass rushers are, especially to this team, I can't see how you could let him walk. Monty has regressed this year and is from what I have read from week to week, having an average to below average season. No longer that dominant run stuffer, line of scrimmage holder that he showed last season.

Archived