Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn was clearly outcoached

TimmySmith

Looked like week one again.

1. No time management at the end.

2. Continuing Red Zone blunders.

3. Why was Portis still in the game with 2 minutes left?

4. Offense consisted of 2 plays. 2 yard run, 4 yard pass. No misdirection, no roll-outs, no trickery, no deep shots to slow the defense down. This offense made Vanilla look like Rocky Road.

5. In general, the Skins offense seemed unprepared.

It's not hard to be out coached when you call the same pump fake right, throw left play 4 times and the same sweep play 3 times and the same off tackle run play 3 times.. There was very little imagination in the playcalling last night. If anyone lost us the game, imo it was the coaches.

I have to agree. I'm not worried about it being a long term issue. ZOrn is still a rookie. But, yeah I agree. With a defense like this, why no screens? We only threw one screen. And it worked for 17 yards.....then nothing. Too many runs were sideways. You just dont run sideways on a fast 3-4 defense. You run right at them. Also, when it became obvious that they were picking up our blitzes and getting 20 yard passes, we just kept doing the same thing.

This team cannot score touchdowns plain and simple. We can work the ball from 20 to 20 (except for this game) and once we hit the red zone, I have no confidence in them being able to punch it in and that starts with play calling.

No reverses, no counters, no shovel passes (which could have beaten a very aggressive and ball hawking defense like Pittsburgh's), 1 screen pass (which worked for 15+ yards), no half back pass attempts...not one damn thing to try and throw the Steelers defense off balance. The play calling was so bland I can't believe I forced myself to watch the entire game. We played into their hands. And the play calling has been abysmal going back to the Rams game.

What really pissed me off, other than how with a 6-2 record we can't even get the stadium packed with actual REDSKINS fans was with 4:00 minutes left in the game why why WHY was Jason not throwing the ball down field?!?!?! What have you got to lose at that point? Instead of letting one of your receivers make a play, let's choose a simple 5-yard check down even though we're getting blown out...super smart! Unbelieveable.

Zorn was clueless last night. If a team can stop Portis and rattle Campbell, the offense will fold. The O-line was a joke last night. Jansen might has well have stayed home.

This was such a big game and the Skins decided to look to the bye week and not show up.

They have been getting away with it for the last 3-4 games... their redzone % is a complete joke. Cant play that way against a good team and it caught up with them last night. They arent all that good.

There are a few games against great defenses coming up - Giants, Eagles and Ravens... Cowboys are no slouches. This could be 2000 all over again if they dont get down to business.

Dick LeBeau has been coaching for like 800 years. We're talking about the same D that owns the likes of Brady and Manning regularly.

Someone with a clue finally posted-- this is exactly what happened. LeBeau is an elite DC, hell they were talking about how he gets in the HoF during the game.

He has good personnel and always maximizes their talent, there's no great shame in just admitting that their D was that good.

This team cannot score touchdowns plain and simple. We can work the ball from 20 to 20 (except for this game) and once we hit the red zone' date=' I have no confidence in them being able to punch it in and that starts with play calling.

No reverses, no counters, no shovel passes (which could have beaten a very aggressive and ball hawking defense like Pittsburgh's), 1 screen pass (which worked for 15+ yards), no half back pass attempts...not one damn thing to try and throw the Steelers defense off balance. The play calling was so bland I can't believe I forced myself to watch the entire game. We played into their hands. And the play calling has been abysmal going back to the Rams game.

What really pissed me off, other than how with a 6-2 record we can't even get the stadium packed with actual REDSKINS fans was with 4:00 minutes left in the game why why WHY was Jason not throwing the ball down field?!?!?! What have you got to lose at that point? Instead of letting one of your receivers make a play, let's choose a simple 5-yard check down even though we're getting blown out...super smart! Unbelieveable.[/quote']

Great point about shovel passes. I kept waiting for one to counter the blitz and nothing!!!!!!

Campbell tried to go downfield a few times but either the receivers were blanketed or he was pressured and sacked. The Oline was atrocious.

I made this very point in the Campbell pitchforks & torches thread. Zorn is still learning and he got taken to school by a very, very talented DC. We got beaten. It wasn't a matter of "well, if bla, bla and bla happened," we just got beaten.

Zorn's Offense got both outcoached and outschemed. He looked like SOS out there tonight. These things happen and all we can do is hope he learns from them. Either way, he has already exceeded my expectations for this year. I'll be happy as long as he shows he's learning.

4. Offense consisted of 2 plays. 2 yard run, 4 yard pass. No misdirection, no roll-outs, no trickery, no deep shots to slow the defense down. This offense made Vanilla look like Rocky Road.

Yeah, I really agree with this. I think that Jim Zorn is a good coach though, and given time he'll learn from mistakes like this one...

I think he was afraid of using the "big plays" because of his junior status...

He knew it would be a tough game offensively, it was, he just didn't know how to react to it... next time i'm sure he'll have a better answer.

Great point about shovel passes. I kept waiting for one to counter the blitz and nothing!!!!!!

Campbell tried to go downfield a few times but either the receivers were blanketed or he was pressured and sacked. The Oline was atrocious.

Oh I hear you, the offensive line was pathetic for the most part of the night but with less then 5 minutes to play knowing you need to score, why would you not throw the ball deep constantly? Who cares about working the chains at that point? Let's waste the clock and basically give up. That to me is what seperates us from being a Good/Great team to being an average team. I didn't like seeing them fold at the end.

wtf.. you aren't going to be successful with gadgets plays like reverses against a defense as fast and as well coached as the Steelers. They brought a very physical defense to our house and beat us with it, plain and simple. Zorn tried to do what you have to do against a defense like that, keep the ball moving forward. Watch the Steelers and Giants defense tackle. People go down at first contact with them. Stretching plays sideline to sideline is going to be as successful as when the Steelers tried to do it to us last night.

We're going to lose games this season, people are going to figure out Zorn's gameplan as the season goes on and he has not had enough time to put together a full offense.

I put this one on Jason's protection. 7 sacks, not to mention how many times he was hit or hurried. Every time they tried to do something beyond 4 yards, he was running for his life. Their coverage was good and our protection wasn't stout enough to give the WRs time to break off of it and give JC a target.

I'm happy with our defense. Two of their scores were on a severely shortened field. They held up admirably for the most part in this game.

The lack of field goal attempts on both 4th downs in the red zone at the end of the game blew my mind.

I'm just happy the Bye is here and we can rest our guys and get refocused for Dallas.

I love #4, at no time did we throw deep to try and open up the field, the only time was to Devin Thomas, if santana was hurt and could not run the deep route, get someone else in.

...people are going to figure out Zorn's gameplan as the season goes on and he has not had enough time to put together a full offense.

Exactly. What we saw last night was 8 weeks of game film on the Zorn offense broken down, dissected, and the tendencies revealed by an old pro. Whenever it looks like the defense is playing with extra players, you know that defense is on to you.

The Steelers were ALL OVER that 4th down goal line play. They would have stuffed the run, and they had every possible receiver double-covered. That's just knowing your opponent, ladies and gentlemen.

You can bet that Zorn will be doing some self-scouting during the bye so he can stay ahead of the competition.

Exactly. What we saw last night was 8 weeks of game film on the Zorn offense broken down, dissected, and the tendencies revealed by an old pro. Whenever it looks like the defense is playing with extra players, you know that defense is on to you.

The Steelers were ALL OVER that 4th down goal line play. They would have stuffed the run, and they had every possible receiver double-covered. That's just knowing your opponent, ladies and gentlemen.

You can bet that Zorn will be doing some self-scouting during the bye so he can stay ahead of the competition.

Definitley was the case last night, and has been more of the case the past 4 weeks

Coaches look at 4 weeks of game film. The Giants game offered nothing to opponents, but the next 4 games did

What was feared by a lot of people is that the O could surprise people at first, then other D's would catch on. That has clearly happened

Part of it is our passing game is still limited and only in week 9 of the scheme. The other part is the Steelers have damn good D coaches and D players

Archived