Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Iraqis had a vote

Gibbsisgod2006

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081030170209.3wcxfwin&show_article=1

For five years Ali and Mohammed have lived alongside US soldiers in their Baghdad neighbourhood near Rasheed Street, a prominent commercial artery running through the heart of the Iraqi capital.

During that time American culture and politics have become familiar to them, and they say that if they could, they would vote for Republican candidate John McCain in next week's US presidential election.

"McCain would be best for Iraq because he would ensure stability," said Ali, 66, an expert on the Sumerian era.

The personal qualities and political platforms of McCain and his Democrat rival Barack Obama are of little import to Ali, however. His focus is on Iraq and its neighbours such as Iran.

"The Iranians believe that if Obama is elected he will not take action against them despite their nuclear ambitions. That worries me," said Ali, sitting on an old bench in Al-Zahawi coffee shop.

"If the Iranians get the bomb they will become the Tarzan of the region," said the former teacher and lecturer at the University of Baghdad, referring to the vine-swinging strongman of the jungle in old Hollywood movies.

Mohammed, also a professor at the university, said he too preferred McCain "because Obama supports a rapid withdrawal of US troops."

"Our army is still too weak and Turkey and Iran are threats. Iran's President (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad has warned Iran would fill the void left when US troops depart," he said.

Rasheed Street with its 1920s-style buildings is still closed to vehicles, and groups of anti-Al-Qaeda fighters guard the stretch that runs north to south.

The street was the scene of major attacks by insurgents after the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in 2003 to US-led invading forces. But even before that many business establishments had begun to move away from the thoroughfare.

Yeah, I would imagine most Iraqis want a president who is strong on support of Iraq and very knowledgeable about the condition over there.... They know that McCain realizes the real threats there are over in the middle East whereas Obama kind of brushes them off/doesn't seem to have a grasp of the entire situation over there IMO.

Yeah, I would imagine most Iraqis want a president who is strong on support of Iraq and very knowledgeable about the condition over there.... They know that McCain realizes the real threats there are over in the middle East whereas Obama kind of brushes them off/doesn't seem to have a grasp of the entire situation over there IMO.

But at the same time, the Iraqis don't care at all about US Domestic policy.

Which is just as important.

But at the same time, the Iraqis don't care at all about US Domestic policy.

Which is just as important.

Perceived continued support of helping protect their country>>>>US domestic policy.

I would wager many Iraqis perceive McCain as being stronger on foreign policy (particularly foreign policy in how it relates to them) that Obama. Who knows though.

well I guess we should balance this with a poll from the French :silly:

But seriously, I do think the reported $60 billion surplus that the Iraqi government is holding on to right now should be maddening to anyone who reads that they want us to continue to stay in their country and pump taxpayer money into the economy while they squirrell away dough. Of course they want McCain.

Hell, I'll support any foreign candidate who would promise to pump money into our economy to fix all of our problems

But seriously, I do think the reported $60 billion surplus that the Iraqi government is holding on to right now should be maddening to anyone who reads that they want us to continue to stay in their country and pump taxpayer money into the economy while they squirrell away dough. Of course they want McCain.

Hell, I'll support any foreign candidate who would promise to pump money into our economy to fix all of our problems

The reason that the Iraqis have such a big surplus is because they have now where to dispense it. And actually French President Sarkozy wants McCain in because after their meeting over the summer he thought Obama was immature on his thought on Foreign Policy.

Perceived continued support of helping protect their country>>>>US domestic policy.

I would wager many Iraqis perceive McCain as being stronger on foreign policy (particularly foreign policy in how it relates to them) that Obama. Who knows though.

My point is merely that their support of McCain is inconsequential to me because of their limited view of US politics.

The reason that the Iraqis have such a big surplus is because they have now where to dispense it. And actually French President Sarkozy wants McCain in because after their meeting over the summer he thought Obama was immature on his thought on Foreign Policy.

If the French don't like Obama's foreign policy...I'd call that an endorsement for Obama :silly:

Fine. Let's give them some places to dispense it. They can start by paying for their own security again. Or infrastructure, or schools. Because quite frankly I personally am tired of paying for them.

And I said the French, not the French President :) It was a joke anyways.

You know, I saw a report last week about this and the reporter ask one of the higher up in the Iraqi government why they are not using their surplus. Apparentely, while they have a surplus, there have been major issues liquidating it and actually getting it out to the people. I wish I could remember what station I watching that on, I'll just have to look for it in print now. But I've honestly bee wondering the same thin as you in regards to Iraqi money. Anyway, the story gave a fairly accurate (i hope) accounting of the money freeze they are experiencing in Iraqi, the progress they're making toward liquidation of this surplus, and utilizing it to fund their programs for now on. It was a good report though. I need to find it!

Fine. Let's give them some places to dispense it. They can start by paying for their own security again. Or infrastructure, or schools. Because quite frankly I personally am tired of paying for them.

And I said the French, not the French President :) It was a joke anyways.

Well that is the plan with building the infascutre within the country and schools and funding programs.

But many people in the DODCommunity feel the same way.

I have no doubt that many do.

I think this article does a good job at explaining that SOME Iraqis would prefer McCain. That is undeniable.

The article does not address the question of who MOST of the Iraqi people, as a whole, would choose if they had a vote.

I don't claim to know the answer to that question, by the way.

You know, I saw a report last week about this and the reporter ask one of the higher up in the Iraqi government why they are not using their surplus. Apparentely, while they have a surplus, there have been major issues liquidating it and actually getting it out to the people. I wish I could remember what station I watching that on, I'll just have to look for it in print now. But I've honestly bee wondering the same thin as you in regards to Iraqi money. Anyway, the story gave a fairly accurate (i hope) accounting of the money freeze they are experiencing in Iraqi, the progress they're making toward liquidation of this surplus, and utilizing it to fund their programs for now on. It was a good report though. I need to find it!

Interesting, I'd love to know more. Quite honestly I don't know much more than what has been thrown around in the debates, and we know how accurate that info can be

Interesting, I'd love to know more. Quite honestly I don't know much more than what has been thrown around in the debates, and we know how accurate that info can be

Uh, yeah, I don't listen to a damn word that comes out of these candidates' mouths. I don't even listen to most of news becuase it's focused on the candidate.

What I do know is that the interview was last week, I think it was one of fox lunch time reports or something and he went over to Iraq for 2 weeks. And he asked question sent from a lot of us who wrote in questions...interestingl a lot of questions had to to with the Iraqi surplus. Go figure. I the way they expalined it made sense that it was going to take a while to liquify asssesst and rebuild the infrastructure, but I know there has to be a written report somewhere. I'll look for that tonight in post it back up here.

And our troops are needed for that how...?

Let them handle their business, the surge has brought down the violence now lets get to the real issue--Afghanistan.

Training the Troops, and Border Security before we hand this oveer to them. Alot people don't understand it takes awhile before they are fully trained it just doesn't happen overnight. I will give you an example it is like zapping peopling from the stone ages to the 21st century, it sad but thats how many Iraqis are.

Your right we should send more troops to Afghanistan but what about the other NATO Countries shouldn't they send more troops too?

Archived