Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis, Moss, Campbell, Cooley--A Look Back

Larry Brown #43

I was just thinking about how cool it is that each of our four main offensive skill position pieces—Campbell, Portis, Moss and Cooley—is rockin’ right now.

And this led me to another thought.

As easy as it is to take these four guys for granted, the fact is, it took some serious guts, foresight and creativity to bring each of these four players here.

And it’s pretty intriguing that with three of the four, there was significant controversy among fans and observers over the individual moves that brought the players here.

While you can criticize a number of the moves this organization has made in recent years, I’d suggest that if any one of these four moves had blown up in our face, we’re probably not the team we are today.

Let’s break it down one-by-one.

Clinton Portis

Perhaps no trade in Redskins history has generated as much enduring discussion and debate as the trade that sent Champ Bailey and a second round pick to Denver for Clinton Portis. Some four years later, with opinions still somewhat mixed on who ‘won’ the deal, Portis is on pace for an obscene 1,888 rushing yards this season.

Portis is quietly on his way to becoming the greatest RB to ever wear the burgundy and gold, just a few years after many fans proclaimed that we had been pillaged by Denver in the trade. Sentiment is quickly moving toward the Skins’ side as Portis continues to excel.

But the bottom line here is this was a gutsy and controversial move—a moved that was shredded by many at the time it was made—that is now paying huge dividends.

Full disclosure—that 2nd round pick turned out to be RB Tatum Bell, who is now carrying Rudi Johnson’ luggage.

Santana Moss

We traded the effective but disgruntled Laveranues Coles back to the Jets for Santana, which was controversial enough. And if people weren’t skeptical enough about trading Coles for Moss, we then tore up Santana’s contract and wrote him a brand new one before he had played a single down for us.

Now we’re playing with fire--what if this guy never gets past these nagging hamstring injuries? We just broke the bank for this smurf of a receiver?

In retrospect, Moss’ and Coles’ numbers have been remarkably similar since the trade went down. But you ask any defensive coordinator which of the two players would make him lose more sleep, and I think most would agree that Moss scares the crap out of them.

After the first few games this season, teams began selling out to try and shut Moss down, which has only opened things up even further for Portis.

And thus far this season, Moss has simply outclassed Coles. And I haven’t even mentioned the locker room presence and leadership that Moss has brought to the team.

Like Champ, Coles wanted out of DC. When a player wants out, it’s not always easy to get fair value for him. It’s safe to say we did just that on both of these trades.

Jason Campbell

Here’s a move that had some fans all but ready to throw in the towel on the organization. After drafting Carlos Rogers (hey, how about that…another move that’s starting to look pretty good) with the 9th pick of the ’05 draft, the Skins decided to jump back into the 1st round to take a QB they were enamored with.

So they traded a 3rd rounder from that same draft, plus a 1st and a 4th from the ’06 draft, for the rights to Denver’s ’05 first.

Bold move. Controversial move. Potentially disastrous move.

With that extra ’05 first rounder, we take Jason Campbell. And man, Gibbs had better be right about this guy.

People fretted long and hard over the number and value of picks we gave up. In fact, as time went on, the trade actually morphed into a giant monster. I recall talking heads incorrectly claiming that the Skins had ‘traded two first rounders’ for the right to draft Campbell. This incorrect statement was repeated so often (cough, cough--Czaban--cough, cough), that many Negative Nancies actually began to believe it and repeat it themselves, in places like Extremeskins.

Well as it turns out, we never did trade two firsts for Campbell—we traded a first, third, and a fourth, and drafted him with the bonus first-rounder that we wouldn’t have even had if we hadn’t made the trade.

Anyway, I think most would agree that Campbell still has some room for improvement, but I think most are also starting to see what Gibbs saw in the guy. At the midpoint of the season, the guy still hasn’t thrown a pick all year, and he’s making plays that your average ‘game manager’ wouldn’t make.

The guy is good, and he’ll only get better.

Full disclosure—those picks we sent to Denver went like this: The third rounder became career backup CB Karl Paymah, who has started three NFL games.

The ’06 first rounder we traded to Denver was later traded to San Fran, who used the pick on unspectacular LB Manny Lawson. With the ’06 4th rounder, Denver took the talented WR Brandon Marshall.

Chris Cooley

I put this one in the ‘foresight’ column. If everyone knew then everything they know now, Cooley would have been a first-round pick. Yet no one saw him that way at the time.

In fact, the legendary Bill Parcells told Cooley to his face that he’d never be more than a backup in the league before the draft.

Yet Gibbs saw Cooley as a guy he could build around. There was talk before the draft that the Skins were in love with the guy, and Gibbs hand-selected him. They snatched him in the 3rd round, and he’s been an absolute monster ever since.

Conclusion

I didn’t intend to turn this thread into a pro-Gibbs/anti-Gibbs thread, and you can give credit for the above moves to whoever you want to.

The point here is simply to look at the unconventional ways in which we managed to acquire the core offensive skill positions on this team. The inherent risks involved, the controversy that ensued, the guts demonstrated, and the massive payoff we’re enjoying today.

It’s kind of cool to take a step back after much of the dust has settled and be able to say, “you know what? We did pretty damn good.” :)

The fact is Gibbs built this team...and its remarkable how he did it as well. He basically came here and had to build the team from scratch. I dont think many players are even still on the roster that were here pre-Gibbs

You can say that about any team that has a coaching change....

Gibbs built a great starting core but at the expense of neglecting depth.

Nice write up. I know I was skeptical over every one of these moves (I was madly in love with Champ... no homo) but looking at it now I can't see this team without moss, cambell, portis. And cooley is just a straight bad ass. He doesn't do the glamor on the field. Throw him the ball, he'll get a first down. Next play.

PLAYOffS

If you really want to take the time it goes even further than that. You mentioned the pick of Rogers of course, but what about Rocky McIntosh? Another trade people were scratching their heads over and were quick to dismiss as yet another attempt by Washington to make a splash.

This pick came on the heels of severing ties with fan favorite Lavar Arrington nevermind you and had the reek of desperation to many.

Then you throw in Montgomery, Golston, Blades and Horton and it really looks like the Washington is on the right path from a personnel perspective.

At the risk of turning this into a pro-Gibbs/anti-Gibbs thread (which was not my intention), this comment is baloney.

No team in the league has GREAT depth--that's just the nature of the league and the salary cap today. But compared with other teams, I think our depth is quite good. Look no further than our four-game winning streak at the end of last year without 7 of our 22 starters.

We actually played BETTER with our backups than we did with our starters, so complaining about depth is kind of silly. We've also overcome plenty of injuries through the first half of this season with positive results.

If you really want to take the time it goes even further than that. You mentioned the pick of Rogers of course, but what about Rocky McIntosh? Another trade people were scratching their heads over and were quick to dismiss as yet another attempt by Washington to make a splash.

This pick came on the heels of severing ties with fan favorite Lavar Arrington nevermind you and had the reek of desperation to many.

Then you throw in Montgomery, Golston, Blades and Horton and it really looks like the Washington is on the right path from a personnel perspective.

I agree with you 100% laurent...I just wanted to draw the line somewhere and focus on the offensive skill guys who are tearing it up right now--particularly given the controversy that surrounded the moves.

At the risk of turning this into a pro-Gibbs/anti-Gibbs thread (which was not my intention), this comment is baloney.

No team in the league has GREAT depth--that's just the nature of the league and the salary cap today.

False. You don't even need to leave our division to see that. The Giants perform mighty well without Plaxico Burress - their clear cut #1, their HOF DE, and their #1 DE. There are other countless examples such as the Patriots in their Super Bowl years who suffered record amount of injuries.

But compared with other teams, I think our depth is quite good. Look no further than our four-game winning streak at the end of last year without 7 of our 22 starters.

We actually played BETTER with our backups than we did with our starters, so complaining about depth is kind of silly. We've also overcome plenty of injuries through the first half of this season with positive results.

So now our four-game winning streak had more to do with a cohesive effort between Jason Fabini and Todd Wade who sucked all year instead of you know... The one change that happened coincidentally when our winning streak began?

Good post, I was chatting about these guys with my dad last night.

Gibbs left DC with a ready to win football team and now Zorn has come in and they are (for the most part) playing up to their potential.

Ignoring CP's blown-out-of-proportion outbursts, these guys have good attitudes and "fight their guts out."

Seriously, Portis tanks for 120+ in 5 games, Moss (who should be thrown to more) puts on those spin moves and his speed is ridiculous, Cooley catches the ball and 95% of the time gains at least another 3 yards breaking tackles, and Campbell still has 0 interceptions (I know, I know he's got those fumbles, but when was the last time our QB was this good?) and is finally looking more comfortable in the pocket.

Its so nice to have confidence in these guys, and even more fun to watch them play well.

Hail Skins!

The other day I was re-watching the Redskins 2005 thrashing of the Cowboys at FedExField and for the first time I noticed something I hadn't seen since Snyder bought the team. I mean, really noticed it.

Continuity.

I know that's buzz-word teams use all the time to talk about how great they are. Chemistry, Swagger, Continuity blah blah blah. But for the Redskins, finally, we have continuity here for real.

Cooley was the star of that game. Moss was there. So was Portis. So was Betts and Sellers and Samuels and Rabach and Thomas and Jansen and Rogers and Springs and Washington and Griffin and ... well heck, I saw so many guys on that team making plays that are still making plays on the 2008 team I actually started chuckling to myself. This is basically the same team.

Watching that team in 2005 was eerily similar to watching this one in 2008.

Gibbs may have had his faults, but one thing he did do was bring some much much needed continuity to this team. Zorn is doing an excellent job, but he didn't inherit a Bunch of Guys. He got a Team. And one that doesn't suck. :)

It's been a long, long time since a new coach here had that to work with.

False. You don't even need to leave our division to see that. The Giants perform mighty well without Plaxico Burress - their clear cut #1, their HOF DE, and their #1 DE. There are other countless examples such as the Patriots in their Super Bowl years who suffered record amount of injuries.

Agreed that the Giants have perhaps the best depth in the NFL. That doesn't mean that ours is poor.

Let's take a look--as you say--within the division. Whenever Donovan McNabb or Brian Westbrook so much as chips a nail, everyone rushes to their defense with the 'injuries' excuse.

We're not afforded the same luxury, for whatever reason.

Putting last year aside for the moment, I saw a team this year march into Dallas, lose both Shawn Springs AND Fred Smoot in the second half of the game, and STILL refuse to allow Dallas to move the ball.

Hell, Springs--arguably our best defensive player--has been in and out of the lineup all year. I'm still waiting for someone to exploit that.

I've seen Marcus Washington shuffled in and out of the lineup, with HB Blades showing that he's a damn fine player.

I've seen LaRon Landry play next to a revolving cast of characters at safety. I've seen Cornelius Griffin and Jason Taylor unable to play.

I've seen our original starting RT (Heyer) get hurt, and Jansen has been plugged back in and has outperformed the original starter.

All with positive results.

Yet just wait for Donovan McNabb to get a bruise, and then wait for the excuses to flow.

So now our four-game winning streak had more to do with a cohesive effort between Jason Fabini and Todd Wade who sucked all year instead of you know... The one change that happened coincidentally when our winning streak began?

I don't think you can overlook what this injury-riddled team did last year. Just look at last year's defense alone. If you think it was all Todd Collins who made the difference, then let's just look at the defense.

How do we lose Marcus Washington, Rocky McIntosh, Sean Taylor, and Carlos Rogers, and not miss a beat defensively? Because of Todd Collins?

We were the only team in football last year to lose as many players to season-ending injuries as we did and still make the playoffs. Sorry, but that counts for something in my book.

Nice post. I agree 100%.

Portis, if healthy, will go down as the best RB in Skins history. I just hope he retires as a Redskin on his way to the HOF.

I have been up and down on Campbell, never sure if he was the future. He showed flashes but this season (except for the NY) game he has taken the next step and is now a big time QB. With 8 games to go in 2008, he has a few steps to take to the next, elite level...

The Skins main problem is the total lack of a pass rush.

I know that's buzz-word teams use all the time to talk about how great they are. Chemistry, Swagger, Continuity blah blah blah. But for the Redskins, finally, we have continuity here for real.

Cooley was the star of that game. Moss was there. So was Portis. So was Betts and Sellers and Samuels and Rabach and Thomas and Jansen and Rogers and Springs and Washington and Griffin and ... well heck, I saw so many guys on that team making plays that are still making plays on the 2008 team I actually started chuckling to myself. This is basically the same team.

Watching that team in 2005 was eerily similar to watching this one in 2008.

That's pretty cool, Henry. That's good continuity for any team in this day and age, not just the Skins.

Despite the conventional wisdom that Gibbs was loading up for one last run at the Super Bowl, it seems this team was actually built for sustained success.

Thing is, that's what Gibbs promised when he came back. He never promised a Super Bowl. He said he was coming back to help position the Skins to be successful again. He definitely did that.

Great thread... it goes along well with the thread I started last week about the character of guys Gibbs had brought in... and certainly these four guys are the key to the offense...I can't help but feel gratified that we finally have a team that we can be proud of... all those years of defending our team to other fans and our own fans... Gibbs built a great core and Zorn seems like a perfect fit to lead them...

...But compared with other teams, I think our depth is quite good.

Agreed 100%. One of the deeper teams in the league, I'd wager.

But, the media keeps saying that the Redskins have no depth on the roster because they are paying huge bucks to just a few stars and can't afford good backups. I guess letting the media make up your mind for you is a lot easier than thinking about the matter yourself.

Anyone who thinks that the Redskins lack depth is just not paying any attention. :2cents:

You can say that about any team that has a coaching change....

Sorry but we have a very deep team by today's standards and that is all on Joe Gibbs' plate. He left us in good shape and that includes the full slate of draft picks that were used this year. The injuries that we have had would have crippled many clubs. Instead, when Marcus Washington goes down we bring in Blades (Gibbs addition). When Jansen and/or Samuels goes down we bring in Heyer (Gibbs addition). When Jason Taylor goes down Demetric Evans or Chris Wilson come in (Gibbs additions). When Shawn Springs goes down Fred Smoot or Leigh Torrence come in (Gibbs additions). When Jason Campbell went down last year Todd Collins came in (Gibbs addition). When Cornelius Griffin goes down Lorenzo Alexander or Anthony Montgomery come in (Gibbs additions). I'm sure I'm missing an injury or two but we've had a ton of injuries this year but it's hardly caused a ripple.

Archived