Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, Heyer Is Better At Pass Protection?

Hubbs

Second the fumbles are on Campbell. He does not feel or see the rush. EVER. Count off once he gets the ball in his hands. He holds it too long and holds it too low.

I agree with the premise of your post (i.e. its not all on Heyer) but you are overstating this point.

Campbell is much improved at feeling pressure. Last year I think you could said he doesn't EVER feel or see the rush. However this year its a different story.

I can remember numerous times he has felt the rush, stepped up in the pocket, and made a play. In fact, they highlighted one such play today in replay when Jason went deep to Moss for the TD.

There have been others as well such as the long TD against New Orleans which was highlighted over and over again by the media. Anyway, don't want to see Jason's improvement in this area dismissed.....although he is still far from perfect and needs to get better.

Mmhm..

So how serious is this Chris Samuels injury? Will he be out there next Monday? And has anyone heard anything about CP's injury - I know he stepped out onto the field but it could still be something more, he's a competitor and will want to be out on that field no matter the circumstance.

Mmhm..

So how serious is this Chris Samuels injury? Will he be out there next Monday? And has anyone heard anything about CP's injury - I know he stepped out onto the field but it could still be something more, he's a competitor and will want to be out on that field no matter the circumstance.

I have a feeling that all of our ailing players (besides Springs) will feel very healthy by the time Monday Night rolls around against Pittsburgh.

I have a feeling that all of our ailing players (besides Springs) will feel very healthy by the time Monday Night rolls around against Pittsburgh.

Well that'd be glorious. How serious is Springs' injury? I know it's a calf injury I didn't know it was THAT serious though. :X

I agree with the premise of your post (i.e. its not all on Heyer) but you are overstating this point.

Campbell is much improved at feeling pressure. Last year I think you could said he doesn't EVER feel or see the rush. However this year its a different story.

I can remember numerous times he has felt the rush, stepped up in the pocket, and made a play. In fact, they highlighted one such play today in replay when Jason went deep to Moss for the TD.

There have been others as well such as the long TD against New Orleans which was highlighted over and over again by the media. Anyway, don't want to see Jason's improvement in this area dismissed.....although he is still far from perfect and needs to get better.

You are correct I am overstating it a bit but I guess my point is the fumbles are a direct result of him not feeling the pressure or moving towards it at times. He does not protect the ball at the right times too often.

Hmmm, I would love to see Springs again. I've forgotten what he looks like! Hopefully his menstrual cramps, sorry I mean CALF cramps are better.

:helmet:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both of the fumble-causing hits on Jason Campbell were the result of Heyer getting beat one-on-one. I know he was playing a left tackle instead of right, but he looked godawful against a mediocre defense. Does this poke a hole in the "Heyer is better than Jansen at pass protection" theory?

Most defeniltly.

Hayer isnt a LT he is a RT

Lets remember that.

He is a better pass protector than Samuels and prob the 2nd best next to samuels on pass protection

Sorry Vlad, but that statement is just confusing.

How can he be a better pass protector than Samuels and probably be the 2nd best next to SAmuels?

Maybe you mean he's better at pass protection than Jansen?

I'm not sure where the idea that Heyer is a liability in run-blocking game from. He may not be a Chris Samuels, but nobody on our team is. There were several times today where Heyer was leading the way downfield for Portis.

Probably came from the fact Portis has a bunch of 120+ yards games and we ACTUALLY RUN RIGHT now sometimes whereas the first couple games we did not.

I like Heyer, but this seeming need for Skins fans to throw a true Skin overboard and exaggerate his flaws (like that awful facemask call today) in order to boost the 'new face' or 'Maryland kid" is disturbing to me.

Jon Jansen recaptured his job. Period. Did Jon play mistake-free? No. Did Heyer look like Samuels out there? no.

I actually think JJ is still the better player and there's a reason everyone is out there waiting on Zorns decision as to who would start..because they knew who was doing the job. Even if Heyer is somewhat better in pass pro, it's not as if Jansen was poor and I think he took excessive heat in the Rams game and has still outperformed Heyer overall. It's not like the run game doens't count for us, we're not New England.

Seriously? Explain to me your concept of the difference between playing LT and RT. Do you think the techniques are equal for both positions? The guy got thrown in at a position where he likely gets little reps throughout the week. He didn't play well, but he didn't play terribly either. Don't give me the whole, "...he was a LT in college." Regardless, they've focused their attention on making him a RT and switching up his footwork. What did you expect with him in at LT? He can't run block a small child, but he's pretty good in pass pro from what I can tell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both of the fumble-causing hits on Jason Campbell were the result of Heyer getting beat one-on-one. I know he was playing a left tackle instead of right, but he looked godawful against a mediocre defense. Does this poke a hole in the "Heyer is better than Jansen at pass protection" theory?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Heyer is a true LT. He is better on the right side and that showed today.

I'm wondering if we intentionally rested a few guys this week for next weeks game... Not saying they were perfectly healthy and chose not to play... Just curious if the ones who were a little banged up were kept out looking ahead to the Steelers game.

I think that is exactly what we did. We felt we could get past the Lions with Heyer and other backups. We did so its all good but it was very risky and I feel like Zorn underestimates some of the weaker teams on the schedule.

I think we kind of see that he isnt a viable long term option at LT (yet, hes 24). His pass pro at RT makes him a great asset.

But, we ran great behind him when we ran left today, which suprised me. He isnt supposed to be great in runblocking, but he looked good. Maybe hes improving his run blocking in general. But I think he just fits better at RT on this level for now at least

Archived