Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is CP the best running back in the NFL? (Debate on ESPN.com)

skinzdar55

Cmon guys. No offence intended but Portis is NOT the best RB in the league. He's great and may be a hall of fame guy just because I think he'll least another 5-6 years at a high production level. But you have to look at this thing with objectivity. Which of ll the RBs in the league would be the best in the best offense in the NFL. Thats hw you have to look at it. obviously a good RB will do good in a good offense but very few could do something like break lewis record. It is really simple to me.

1:Peterson

2:LT

3:Turner (His extra strength and speed over Portis barely nudge out Portis blocking)

4:Portis

5:Westbrook (he is much more dangerous than Portis but his injury history make this one easy)

Honorable mentions: Frank Gore, Darren Sproles (Imagine that guy in our offense)

Right now? No question.

Overall? I'll prob. get lynched, but I'd say a healthy LT eclipses everyone, Portis and Peterson included, for sheer, God given natural talent. That said, with everything else Clinton brings to the table, I'm more than happy and greatful he's on our roster.

Hail.

Yeah you will get "lynched" but because you were one of the people who was brainwashed by the hype that Ladanian Tomlinson (who doesnt even DESERVE to be called LT..Taylor was a physical MONSTER compared to Tomlinson) has recieved. I am not saying Clinton Portis is the best runningback in the NFL, but like I said in my thread before...I wish people would hop off this Ladanian Tomlinson bandwagon. He is a great runningback but he belongs nowhere in the conversation with ALL-TIME greats and he deffinitely isnt that far ahead of Adrian Peterson like you say.

Portis is playing great.....BUT....it would be scarry to see what Peterson would do in our offense.....

Portis is the best pass protector of the bunch, and maybe equal to Peterson on receiving ability, but Peterson is a better pure runner......at least 2-3 of Portis's longer runs that ended with him being tackled by a DB, would have been taken to the house by Peterson....

I disagree... Peterson has had one good year and if you compare his rookie year with Clinton's they are very similar.

Attemps:

Clinton = 273

Peterson = 238

Yards:

Clinton = 1508

Peterson = 1341

AVG:Clinton = 5.5

Peterson = 5.6

Touchdowns:

Clinton = 15

Peterson = 12

Fumbles:

Clinton = 5

Peterson = 4

I think that this year CP clearly is he can block he has pure speed vision and is smart. CP should be considered for the mvp this year overall i think he is one of the best in the league behind peterson that kid has skill, i cant even imagine the fire power he would produce in a jim zorn offense. dont get me wrong i love CP and he is the man he is going to carry this team on his shoulders.

Yeah you will get "lynched" but because you were one of the people who was brainwashed by the hype that Ladanian Tomlinson (who doesnt even DESERVE to be called LT..Taylor was a physical MONSTER compared to Tomlinson) has recieved. I am not saying Clinton Portis is the best runningback in the NFL, but like I said in my thread before...I wish people would hop off this Ladanian Tomlinson bandwagon. He is a great runningback but he belongs nowhere in the conversation with ALL-TIME greats and he deffinitely isnt that far ahead of Adrian Peterson like you say.

I'm all for democracy and freedom of speech, but LaDanian Tomlinson "belongs nowhere in the conversation with ALL-TIME greats?"

Did i read that right?

Hail.

you are delusional

I'd have to go with Adrian Peterson, even though his season is a slight disappointment thus far. Peterson has everything you would want in a back: doesn't go down on contact, doesn't run out of bounds, has a very good pair of receiving hands, is one of the faster backs in the league, and has incredible lateral quickness. Clinton Portis, while very good at many things, isn't as good a receiver or home run threat that AD is. One thing Portis does have on AD is ball security. I would say when he's healthy, Tomlinson is second to AD, and Portis would be third.

Are you seriously that clueless? Look at the statistics...the versatility. You are blind if you don't think LT will end up a no brainer HOF'r.

Definition of a HATER.

Its really hard to say who is the BEST out of LT, CP, and AP (Tomlinson, Portis, Peterson).

Its really a wash, they all bring different skill sets and abilities to the table.

Tomlinson is the best pass catcher of the 3, coupled with great burst and speed. He also has good power.

Peterson is a good pass catcher also, I'd say he has the best speed and burst of them all, with a balance of good power.

Portis, to me, is the most powerful of the top backs in the league. He is a complete player also with his blocking skills, and he still has the burst to hit the hole hard. I'm not going to say hes going to pull a Reggie Bush and out run the entire defense by cutting back, but he is still going to break the long runs. Not neccessarily the 60+ yarders, though.

If I had to choose someone to have on my team, I'd have to go with AP just because of the age factor. He has less wear and tear on his body than LT or CP. But if we are comparing them to who I'd take on my team RIGHT NOW, I'd take CP. LT seems to be banged up a bit this season...

:2cents:

Thankfully dissenting opinions aren't immediately imprisoned in America (at least legally). You're in the definite minority here.

LT doesn't bring an exceptional physical trait to the table. This only serves to demonstrate his greatness more. He's just a Really Really good RB. Shifty, great stiff arm, breaks tackles & makes tacklers miss, break away speed, sideline to sideline quickness, a killer QB rating also... he is easily one of the best all-time RBs in most estimations. He's been this good for a long time also - it just took awhile for the rest of the Chargers to catch up.

That being said, CP is the best RB in the NFL right now.

Unless you want to go by stats alone, there is no real way to determine the best NFL back. CP was right, you need to switch these guys around behind each others lines to really make a final, definite determination. OL accounts for a huge percentage of a RBs production. Playcalling has an effect too.

I disagree... Peterson has had one good year and if you compare his rookie year with Clinton's they are very similar.

Attemps:

Clinton = 273

Peterson = 238

Yards:

Clinton = 1508

Peterson = 1341

AVG:Clinton = 5.5

Peterson = 5.6

Touchdowns:

Clinton = 15

Peterson = 12

Fumbles:

Clinton = 5

Peterson = 4

How is that pertinent to the current debate? The question is - who is better now, not who was better in their 1st or 2nd year? Portis plays a lot differently now than when he did his rookie year.

Right now, if you asked the majority of coaches, "You can have any running back on your team for the rest of the year, who is it?", and you disregard age and system - I think most would go with Peterson because of his mixture of power, speed and quickness. With Clinton, you do get the added bonus of a very good pass blocker, but you don't get the elusiveness or quickness that you get with Peterson. Once he gets past the front 7, he is always a threat to go the distance. I just don't think Portis has the open field moves that he used to....

I'm not trying to bash the guy - he's a great back, and has held up incredibly well by today's standards, I just don't think he's the best in the league...

How is that pertinent to the current debate? The question is - who is better now, not who was better in their 1st or 2nd year? Portis plays a lot differently now than when he did his rookie year.

Right now, if you asked the majority of coaches, "You can have any running back on your team for the rest of the year, who is it?", and you disregard age and system - I think most would go with Peterson because of his mixture of power, speed and quickness. With Clinton, you do get the added bonus of a very good pass blocker, but you don't get the elusiveness or quickness that you get with Peterson. Once he gets past the front 7, he is always a threat to go the distance. I just don't think Portis has the open field moves that he used to....

I'm not trying to bash the guy - he's a great back, and has held up incredibly well by today's standards, I just don't think he's the best in the league...

It is pertinent because everyone is all over Peterson's dick and he only has one good season. Clinton had IMO a better rookie season and has shown over the years that he is a consistent tough runner. This year Peterson looks like a top 5 RB but not anywhere near the best. The Saints held him to 32yds on 21 carries two weeks ago. Clinton gained 96yrds and 2 TDs against the same D. I would much rather have a proven RB who is having the best start of his career in his 7th season than a young buck who still has a lot to prove.

One thing that I'll add is that CP is a good thrower as well.

I'm not jumping on the Peterson bandwagon just yet. He has a hell of an Oling blocking for him, and he hasnt' been in the league for long and thus we don't have a lot of time to judge him. His initial production inthe first half of the season was off the charts, but it quickly declined. Obviously the injury played a big part in that, but once teams had some film on him, it's possible that there was something that DCs saw. People keep saying things like "if he had a passing game to help him out, he'd be doing better" and "if he were on a Zorn team, or other better offensive team, he'd be better," and I'm not saying that the people who say those things are wrong, but I haven't seen enough for me to say that they're right, either. He's a great back though; there's no denying that.

One thing that I'll add is that CP is a good thrower as well.

I'm not jumping on the Peterson bandwagon just yet. He has a hell of an Oling blocking for him, and he hasnt' been in the league for long and thus we don't have a lot of time to judge him. His initial production inthe first half of the season was off the charts, but it quickly declined. Obviously the injury played a big part in that, but once teams had some film on him, it's possible that there was something that DCs saw. People keep saying things like "if he had a passing game to help him out, he'd be doing better" and "if he were on a Zorn team, or other better offensive team, he'd be better," and I'm not saying that the people who say those things are wrong, but I haven't seen enough for me to say that they're right, either. He's a great back though; there's no denying that.

40 % of AP's yards last year came in two games.

or maybe 45 %.

The guy is good but when you realize that the other 13 games he played (he was injured for a game i believe), his stats were very mediocre.

40 % of AP's yards last year came in two games.

or maybe 45 %.

The guy is good but when you realize that the other 13 games he played (he was injured for a game i believe), his stats were very mediocre.

38% came in two games but he did go over 100 yard 6 times. He's a beast I don't care how you put it. If he didn't see 8 and 9 guys in the box all the time who knows what stats he'd put up. But just look at his 60 and 70 yard TD runs; he has amazing vision and burst.

Archived