Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is CP the best running back in the NFL? (Debate on ESPN.com)

skinzdar55

Portis is playing great.....BUT....it would be scarry to see what Peterson would do in our offense.....

Portis is the best pass protector of the bunch, and maybe equal to Peterson on receiving ability, but Peterson is a better pure runner......at least 2-3 of Portis's longer runs that ended with him being tackled by a DB, would have been taken to the house by Peterson....

Portis is playing great.....BUT....it would be scarry to see what Peterson would do in our offense.....

at least 2-3 of Portis's longer runs that ended with him being tackled by a DB, would have been taken to the house by Peterson....

Good point, but with all of the carries that CP has had in his career, AP should consider himself lucky to be as productive as CP when he reaches that point in his career.

If I have to sacrifice a littlle speed with what CP does as a pass blocker, that will be just fine with me!

Portis is the best pass protector of the bunch, and maybe equal to Peterson on receiving ability, but Peterson is a better pure runner......at least 2-3 of Portis's longer runs that ended with him being tackled by a DB, would have been taken to the house by Peterson....

I somewhat see your point, but disagree. Doesn't MIN have one of the best offensive lines? And Peterson has as many fumbles lost as TDs this year. I think last year was somewhat of a fluke for him.

Good point, but with all of the carries that CP has had in his career, AP should consider himself lucky to be as productive as CP when he reaches that point in his career.

If I have to sacrifice a littlle speed with what CP does as a pass blocker, that will be just fine with me!

I think you are right on.....I would expect Peterson to have ~4 more solid years followed by a sharp drop off. He's not exactly fragile, but has not shown the durability for anyone to expect that he would have a long career as a RB (which is becoming increasingly rare). I think Clinton has another 2-3 more solid 1000+ yard seasons left....

When you look at the whole body of a running back, catching, protecting, and running, right now I have to go with Portis.

He blocks the snot out of people on pass plays, breaks long runs and doesn't go down on first contact anymore, (much like he would in the past), doesn't fumble, and is showing off nice hands this season.

Tomlinson when healthy, is probably a lot better with his hands than Portis is, a better game breaker, but not the pass protector that Portis is. So when healthy I give Tomlinson the edge.

Turner is just a pure running back. Doesn't do much with his hands and I haven't seen anything in pass protection to discuss. He is probably going to have 1500 yards seasons a plenty, but will always just be a guy you hand the ball off to.

This brings me to Peterson, who in 2 or 3 years, will be looked at as this generation, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton. He posses much more, "Special" ability than any of the others. If he stays healthy I believe he has the chance to be the best thats ever played the game.

Really nice article.

:2cents:

I somewhat see your point, but disagree. Doesn't MIN have one of the best offensive lines? And Peterson has as many fumbles lost as TDs this year. I think last year was somewhat of a fluke for him.

I agree partially with your argument, but I think it goes back to the root of our current success. I would attribute Portis's return to ~5.0 ypc territory primarily to the fact that our offense is much less predictable than it has been over the past few seasons (a strength of the WCO). I think Peterson is seriously hampered by Minnesota's inability to throw the ball - and I don't think a good offensive line makes up for the other team stacking 8 in the box on every play....

When you look at the whole body of a running back, catching, protecting, and running, right now I have to go with Portis.

He blocks the snot out of people on pass plays, breaks long runs and doesn't go down on first contact anymore, (much like he would in the past), doesn't fumble, and is showing off nice hands this season.

Tomlinson when healthy, is probably a lot better with his hands than Portis is, a better game breaker, but not the pass protector that Portis is. So when healthy I give Tomlinson the edge.

Turner is just a pure running back. Doesn't do much with his hands and I haven't seen anything in pass protection to discuss. He is probably going to have 1500 yards seasons a plenty, but will always just be a guy you hand the ball off to.

This brings me to Peterson, who in 2 or 3 years, will be looked at as this generation, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton. He posses much more, "Special" ability than any of the others. If he stays healthy I believe he has the chance to be the best thats ever played the game.

Really nice article.

:2cents:

Very fair assessment :applause:

Kudos

CP is second only to a healthy LT. However, this year, while people made a good case for all those RB's, CP is hands down the best this year.

Let's face it. All of the RB's mentioned do have their strengths. I agree with MM that AP has better change of direction. That's it.

I STRONGLY disagree with his notion that so far in 2 years, AP has been more durable than CP. ols.

Didn't AP miss time last year? Has CP missed a game the last 2 years? didn't think so.

CP= 2nd best RB in the league, and the #1 RB this year, bar none.

He is the MVP of the league, IMO

CP is second only to a healthy LT. However, this year, while people made a good case for all those RB's, CP is hands down the best this year.

Let's face it. All of the RB's mentioned do have their strengths. I agree with MM that AP has better change of direction. That's it.

I'd have to say that Peterson has the best vision I think I've seen from a back in a long long long time.

It's amazing how one injury that happened on a freak tackle Portis was making to punish the guy who intercepted the ball has raised questions about his durability.

He still played for half that season until he broke his hand.

Portis is the essence of durable.

Archived