Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

need help for my lesson plan

MissU28

I'm teaching my students how to use indirect characterization so they will be able to identify character traits in characters in their story. We have just started, so I'm still in the process of "hooking" them into the lesson. Yesterday my students characterized their math teacher (we "village", so my entire LA class has the same math teacher), and loved it.

Today, We're going to play "Name That Celebrity". My classroom is divided into 7 groups of 4, and each group will get the name of a celebrity. Each group will try to guess the other groups' celebrities based on character traits.

I am trying to come up with a good list of celebrities that would be fun and easy to characterize based on their actions, thoughts, speech, etc. I also need the celebrities to be very accessible to middle schoolers (I teach 7th grade). The kids will also have to be able to PROVE the character traits given through evidence. (For example, yesterday they said their Math teacher, Mr. Wright, was hilarious. They proved that character trait by telling me he tells jokes and everyone laughs. They also proved it by saying he sings silly songs.)

What suggestions do you have for me? Remember, character traits are personality traits, so I don't need people that are easy to describe physically.

Thanks in advance :)

Well there are super easy ones like Michael Jackson or Paris Hilton.

What you're looking for is a good "funny hat" celebrity, unless you want it to be hard.

Terrell Owens might be kind of fun.

I don't think Michael Jackson would be appropriate...the kids know what his deal is, and I'm afraid to put that one out there ;)

Paris might work, I'll put her down...thanks.

Terrell would work if I had a room full of boys, but these kids don't know much about football. I do have Charger fans, but I don't know if the Lights Out dance would be that recognizable to them. Whenever I try and do that dance I look retarded, I can't imagine how my kids would do it:silly:

I don't think Michael Jackson would be appropriate...the kids know what his deal is, and I'm afraid to put that one out there ;)

Paris might work, I'll put her down...thanks.

Terrell would work if I had a room full of boys, but these kids don't know much about football. I do have Charger fans, but I don't know if the Lights Out dance would be that recognizable to them. Whenever I try and do that dance I look retarded, I can't imagine how my kids would do it:silly:

then do the luis castillo dance. ;)

Obviously Obama and McCain. researching them would be a snap, and a crossover civics lesson.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar is a good one.. Hannah Montana is unbelievably popular among that age set.

~Bang

Right...I have Miley/Hannah... I'll do the Governator, that's a good one. Not sure I want to bring the Obama/McCain politics into my classroom, but we'll see.

If fictional celebs count.... then Homer and many of the Simpsons characters are pretty good.

I'll put Homer down. Class starts in 5 minutes. I will be using Will Smith, Beyonce, Miley/Hannah Montana, Paris Hilton, Homer Simpson, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, and Ladanian Tomlinson (I figure he's easy enough out here in Charger country). My morning class is made up of half GATE kids (Gifted) and half "regular" kids, so this should work well with them. Depending on how it works out, I may have to change some celebs for my afternoon core, so keep the celebs coming.

Thanks to all that helped!

As someone with a teaching degree myself, I have often wondered why students with mental health issues/slow learners are called "gifted". I would think that term would be hurtful to those who are in the main stream. At the same time, I'd think those kids that are coined "gifted" would rather just be called kids.

As someone with a teaching degree myself, I have often wondered why students with mental health issues/slow learners are called "gifted". I would think that term would be hurtful to those who are in the main stream. At the same time, I'd think those kids that are coined "gifted" would rather just be called kids.

what are you talking about??? The gifted kids are the smart kids. Gifted and Talented...who calls the special needs kids gifted?

what are you talking about??? The gifted kids are the smart kids. Gifted and Talented...who calls the special needs kids gifted?

I always thought they were the smart kids too. I guess it just depends on the school system.

For celebrities, what about Dakota Fanning? She's in a new movie that's coming out.

Do you think they would know anything about Bill Cosby, or are they too young?

Archived