Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Redskins Games

jameyny692

Welcome to our world.:D

Jeez where to begin.

Besides playoffs here are some you should get.

1982- at Philly (overtime thriller)

1982- vs. Giants (moseley's record kick)

1983- vs. Raiders (Skins come back from 15pt defecit in last 5 min.)

1983- at Cowboys (showdown of 12-2 teams)

1984- vs. St. Louis (Monk sets record/Skins win the East)

1986- vs. Vikings (Gary Clark's game winner in OT)

1990- at Lions (Rutledge leads skins back from 21 down to win in OT)

1992- vs. Cowboys (Gibbs 1.0's last reg win. Jason Buck forces fumble in endzone late to beat Dallas)

1995- vs. Lions (Darrell Green pick 6 wins in OT)

1996- vs. Dallas (RFK finale)

1997- vs. Arizona (1st JKC)

1999- at SF (Skins win NFC East)

This is just off the top of my head, but if you can get those (plus you mentioned you were getting the 91 season) that's a good start to building your library of non-playoff Skins games.

Here's a few:

1992 - beat the 5-1 Vikes in week 8 (we beat them again in playoffs)

1992 - Beat the 11-2 Cowboys in week 15, Cowboys win SB a few weeks later

1993 - Opening Day w/ HC Petitbone - beat the SB Champ Cowboys again, haha

1995 - beat the undefeated Cowboys in week 5 :)

1995 - beat the Cowboys again, this time @ Dallas. Sweep! Cowboys won the SB that year.

1997 - beat Cards in OT to christian the new stadium

1999 - Take 21 pt lead in 1st qtr vs Giants, won 50-21 in week 2

Welcome to our world.:D

Jeez where to begin.

Besides playoffs here are some you should get.

1982- at Philly (overtime thriller)

1982- vs. Giants (moseley's record kick)

1983- vs. Raiders (Skins come back from 15pt defecit in last 5 min.)

1983- at Cowboys (showdown of 12-2 teams)

1984- vs. St. Louis (Monk sets record/Skins win the East)

1986- vs. Vikings (Gary Clark's game winner in OT)

1990- at Lions (Rutledge leads skins back from 21 down to win in OT)

1992- vs. Cowboys (Gibbs 1.0's last reg win. Jason Buck forces fumble in endzone late to beat Dallas)

1995- vs. Lions (Darrell Green pick 6 wins in OT)

1996- vs. Dallas (RFK finale)

1997- vs. Arizona (1st JKC)

1999- at SF (Skins win NFC East)

This is just off the top of my head, but if you can get those (plus you mentioned you were getting the 91 season) that's a good start to building your library of non-playoff Skins games.

1984 - at Dallas. Down 21-6 at half, two quick turnovers in 3rd qtr helps rally, 30-28 win, first ever regular season sweep of pokes who missed the playoffs

1987 - vs. Giants. Shut out at halftime, Schroeder rallies the offense in the weather to take 24-19 lead late in the fourth to beat "regular" Giants after losing three to them in 1986. This was Alvin Walton's break-out game, getting mentioned as potential "All-Madden". (Pat and John called that game for CBS - I was up in the high sections of RFK for that one)

cheers

I can't remember the year exactly....maybe 84 or 85 when we CRUSHED the Rams. It was a display of just how powerful Gibbs offensive scheme was.

EDIT: Just looked it up, it was the 83 season.

And I know you said other than playoffs, but you have to have the 1987 NFC Championship at RFK against the Vikings. I still get chills watching the end of that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8aXD9I300

I have been looking at a few tape traders and I am thinking about getting some Pre 2000's Redskins games on DVD. besides playoffs and the 91 season can anyone think of some games that might be worth getting. Most of the traders go back to around 1980.

I know this is a game we lost but it was definetly one of the most exciting I can remember.....83' Monday night game against the Green Bay Packers. We lose on a blocked Mosely field goal as time expires 48 - 47.

I have this classic on DVD!

I'd add:

at Rams 1971 Redskins win 38-24 to clinch playoffs vs. Rams [many traders have this game]

almost any game from the 1983 season

at Cowboys 1984 Redskins come back to win 30-28

vs. Cowboys 1986 Redskins lead 34-0 at half time en route to a 41-14 win.

vs. Chicago 1989; Ryp throws for 401 yards and Ditka spends the game throwing tantrums on the sideline. Redskins win 38-14

vs. Chargers 1989 Redskins win 26-21 in an exciting game in a frosted RFK

vs. Atlanta 1989 great comback from 27-10 down to win 31-30. Also, Monk burns Deion Sanders for a TD

If I think long enough I'm sure I could think of many others...

If you can find them tapes of the Redskins glory days when Sammy Baugh was playing. I almost forgot any tapes of Sonny Jurgeson, I know older Cowboys & Giants fans that say he was the best pure passer they ever saw play.

:cheers:

My particular faves: (1) Gibbs 1 team travels to Dallas and wins -- Landry yells "no Danny No!" and entire team gets off bus wearing military fatigues; (2) 1991 Opener against Lions at RFK --- teams scores 40+ points and plays a "perfect storm" game --- harbinger for great Super Bowl/Rypien year!, and (3) Classic Playoff game in "frigid" Chicago with epic DGreen punt return and spectacular 2nd Quarter comeback by DWilliams (WPayton's last game).

I also wanted to add something about playoff games.

I don't know if you're going to get all of the Skins playoff games or just the wins.

But I highly recommend getting the Chicago Bears 1984 playoff loss, even if you were not planning on getting the losses, if you are a fan of Joe Theismann.

I was a Joey T fan at the time and I always remained a fan of his and defended him to fellow Skins fans who always seemed to bash him. But what absolutely sealed the deal for me in "loving" Joey T was when I got this game. I had forgotten much about the game other than the Bears beating us. The only thing I kind of remembered was that the Bears offense sucked except they did make a few big plays and that's how they got their points.

Anyway after getting this game I saw Joe Theismann almost single handily keep us in this game. His offensive line was falling apart and being torn up by a young and extremely talented Bear defense. Riggins and the running game was non-existent. And yet there was Joey T, moving around making great clutch throws and big time runs.

It's sad we lost that game, not only because losing sucks :), but because such a clutch and wonderful performance by a Redskins great has been sort of lost to history. If you look strictly at his numbers, they were solid but nothing that eye catching. But if you watch the game, Joe Theismann showed exactly what a "franchise" QB does when he's not getting much help from those around him.

I admire Joe Theismann's performance in this game every bit as much (perhaps more) than Riggins in 82 against Minnesota/SB17 or Williams/Smith /Sanders in SB22.

Yes I know it is a loss, but the game is a must see for any Redskin fan, and will get the blood boiling, and your hatred for the Cowboys will overflow.

I was 11 years old and my understanding and appreciation of the Redskins/Cowboys Rivalry was born that afternoon. Tony Hill's TD still haunts me.

Btw, Moseley should have gotten a shot at the last minute FG....but the refs refused to honor our request for a timeout. :tantrum:

Dec. 16th, 1979

Cowboys 35

Redskins 34

(Btw, We missed the playoffs because the ass-clown Cardinals curled up in the fetal position and let the Bears win and the get the final Wild Card spot. )

If you can by chance snag some others from the 70s, a couple more:

1975 vs Cowboys: 30-24 OT win on Kilmer QB sneak

?? vs. Vikings: can't remember the year but I think Minn was undefeated and we beat them

The one against the Vikings is also 1975. Unfortunately the only Redskins game from 1975 I've ever seen a copy of is the 2nd half of a preseason game vs the Jets. You can get GOTW copies of the two games you menationed though and those films are great.

I'd also throw in the 1985 game vs. the Giants that Theismann broke his leg in as one to get.

Also, if you can find it get "Hail to the Redskins" a color film made in 1947 that shows highlights from games 1942-1947. There are also silent color films of some games from the 1940s out there. They usually have most or not all of the plays but huddles edited out so they are only about 30 minutes each. Quality will vary. From what I have been told, these are the game films made by the team that have somehow made it out to the public.

The earliest Redskin TV broadcast I have seen available is a preseason game vs the Lions from 1969 in black and white. From what I've been told the only reason this exists is films of games were sent to the armed forces and the contract was they were to be destroyed after viewing. For whatever reason this one wasn't. Unfortunately TV broadcasts of games from the 50s and 60s are almost non-existant as the networks didn't save them because of the expense. The 70s are more sporadic. VCRs game into being in the 70s so people started recording their own games. I've heard the only reason the '71 Redskins vs. Rams broadcast still exists is because Richard Nixon had it recorded as he was busy [and had an early version of the VCR which was quite expensive and only people such as Nicon, Elvis and Robert Crane---who of course didn't use it for football---had].

Two GREAT old school games: Both Geoge Allen playoff wins in December '71 prior to our first SuperBowl trip to Miami.

First win was against Green Bay and big fullback, John Brockington, when Allen stacked five guys on the defensive line ( with the addtion of Manny Sistrunk, who pro football commentator Alex Karas said was from "the University of Mars"); Packers scored 3 points, I think.

Then the Christmas Eve slaughter of the Cowboys one week later on a hot (74 degrees) Sunday afternoon, to win the NFC title and for our first trip to the Super Bowl and first huge win in more than a decade. Immediately after the win, you could hear car horns blaring all over Wash. DC!

Two GREAT old school games: Both Geoge Allen playoff wins in December '71 prior to our first SuperBowl trip to Miami.

First win was against Green Bay and big fullback, John Brockington, when Allen stacked five guys on the defensive line ( with the addtion of Manny Sistrunk, who pro football commentator Alex Karas said was from "the University of Mars"); Packers scored 3 points, I think.

Then the Christmas Eve slaughter of the Cowboys one week later on a hot (74 degrees) Sunday afternoon, to win the NFC title and for our first trip to the Super Bowl and first huge win in more than a decade. Immediately after the win, you could hear car horns blaring all over Wash. DC!

Unfortunately, As far as I know, the broadcasts of those two games no longer exists. At least I've never seen them in trading circles.

One note: That was the 1972 season, not 1971

Archived