Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Players Helmets Coming Off (MET)

KevinthePRF

I was thinking the same thing not too long ago... It really does seem like helmets are popping off more now than in the past. Weird.

My theory - the advanced helmets with the inflatable bladders inside allow the helmet to fit more snugly on the head, so that players tend to adjust their chinstraps more loosely than before, making the helmets more susceptible to getting wrenched loose.

It is actually a safety design on the new style of helmets. Rather than sustaining a broken neck the chin strap buckles release in moments of stress.

Just kidding! I would imagine several factors come into play-not buckling all harness points being at the top.

Not just you. It's gotta be happening at a record pace this year. IMO a lot of players don't buckle up the way they should, as has already been said. How many times do you see guys with double buckles and only one on each side is strapped?

Can't exactly say that's a new thing though; I was watching an old NFL Films replay of a Phins-Raiders playoff game a few days ago and there's the Snake dropping back to pass with his freaking chinstrap hanging off the side of his helmet!! He got sacked on the play and his helmet didn't even budge -- what that says I have NO idea.

While we're on pet peeves, I think the refs should enforce the rule about jerseys being tucked in COMPLETELY. Call me old-fashioned, but the **** bugs me like no other. Isn't or wasn't there a rule about uniforms being in order that way? It just looks ridiculously sloppy to see a guy one play into the game with his jersey hanging over his butt. These days they're much more form-fitting, so it's not like its draped over his pants, but c'mon.

I would think Goodell and his minions would want to curb that stuff, it presents a poor image of their product IMHO.

I was thinking the same thing not too long ago... It really does seem like helmets are popping off more now than in the past. Weird.

My theory - the advanced helmets with the inflatable bladders inside allow the helmet to fit more snugly on the head, so that players tend to adjust their chinstraps more loosely than before, making the helmets more susceptible to getting wrenched loose.

My theory: The freakin' players don't buckle their chin straps half the time.

Yeah, that too. :D

They are doing it to be thugish and get their face on TV, there is no other reason. Button the ****in thing up. Did you see the kick returner for Cincy? He hit the ground on a good return and pulled his helmet off from under the chin and then ripped his doo rag off so we could see his dreds. Then he acted like he was hurt. Horse ****! That was emabrassing. he should be banned from football.

Archived