Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Run Defense

gillherb

Pure statistics here:

We have played 5 games thus far. Here are the rushing statistics of opposing running backs:

Week 1 - NY Giants (Loss)

Brandon Jacobs, 21 carries, 116 yds, 0 TDs

Derrick Ward, 9 carries, 39 yards, 0 TDs

Week 2: NO Saints (Win)

Reggie Bush: 10 carries, 28 yards, 0 TDs

Deuce McAllister: 2 carries, 10 yards, 0 TDs

Week 3: Arizona Cardinals (Win)

Edgerrin James: 18 carries, 93 yards, 0 TDs

Week 4: Dallas Cowboys (Win)

Marion Barber: 8 carries, 26 yards, 0 TDs

Felix Jones: 0 carries, 0 yards, 0 TDs

Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles (Win)

Brian Westbrook: 12 carries, 33 yards, 1 TD

3 out of 4 of our victories we held the opposing team to less than 50 yards rushing, against solid-to-great players like Bush, Barber, and Westbrook (an injured Westbrook I must admit).

In the Arizona and Dallas games, we never really were losing (I don't believe). Eagles and Saints games were come-from-behind, yet still we held them to minimal yardage.

:cheers: to Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, Evans, Carter, and Wilson, plus our linebackers including Blades and Khary Campbell.

I can't wait for Erasmus James and Jason Taylor to get 100% and add to our D capability. We are very strong right now.

I think the running defense is good, but not as good as we would like to think. I think the Arizona game was very telling. James had lots of holes. I think our defensive line is inconsistant.

I'm fairly convinced that the Arizona game was by design. We played our linebackers off the line, and forced them to run the ball, rather than going down the field to Fitz and Boldin.

I'm not sure of our run D. Arizona who isn't a very good running team ran on us pretty well.

I don't think Dallas (didn't really try to run) and Philly (doesn't even really try and run (except at the goal line for some reason, which is stupid (taking a non-running team and forcing the run at the goalline)) are good measures of how good the running game is.

Look, Washington has been operating the same basic gameplan for going on 5 years now. Take the opponents strength away and make the team one dimensional.

That's been the recipe all season so far and it's worked pretty darn well so far.

The only game Washington has really gotten gashed so far is the Giants game, and even in that contest Washington came out and shut New York down in the second half.

This team isn't talented enough to be a complete shutdown defense like the Ravens were during their Super Bowl run, but it's got enough pieces to give coordinators fits week in and week out.

I don't think Dallas (didn't really try to run) and Philly (doesn't even really try and run (except at the goal line for some reason, which is stupid (taking a non-running team and forcing the run at the goalline)) are good measures of how good the running game is.

Uh, Dallas stopped running the ball, because it wasn't working.

Barber had 1 carry for 15, and 7 more for 11. He was getting stuffed.

Archived