Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theory on why Dallas is billed as "America's Team"

Braxford

Here is my theory why Dallas is billed as America's team ( even though they are not).

1. When people think of America they think of the flag, baseball, the girl next door,apple pie....and cowboys. Cowboys are classic Americana. The Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, Wyatt Earp, Gunsmoke, Clint Eastwood, cowboys have been portrayed in media for years as strong, independent and tough. The media still plays up to this.

2. Texas is such large state and cowpie fans spread all over the nation spreading the fallacy and b.s. idea of America's Team with them. Sure you have had the Oilers and Texans in Houston but anyone who has lived in Texas like I have will tell you that the cowpies rule the roost and everyone in Texas knows this.

3. In the past of the cowpies history many people admired and respected Tom Landry as a coach plus they have always been a successful franchise thru their history. After Jerry Jones took over the cowpies drama became part of the equation ( drugs, ego tripping owner and coach and etc. etc.) It made for good television and just like the 2008 election and soap operas....everyone loves drama. Look at the cowpies now with drama- Will Wade Phillips keep his job from Jason Garrett? Carrie Underwood/Tony Romo sits to pee/ Jessica Simpson drama, the whinings of Terrell Owens? The small town/small school boy makes it big story of Tony Romo sits to pee.....

What do you think? And as always remember to give thanks to the Gibbs;). Go Skins!!!

There is no need for theory. It's very simple

In 1978 NFL Films put out the annual Cowboys highlight reel, and titled it "America's Team"

Tex Schramm took that and ran with it from a marketing standpoint, and it stuck.

That is where it came from.

The other reason that you're almost touching on but not quite hitting is that in the 1970s when NFL Football began to take over television the way it has, the Cowboys were winning, and so they were on national TV almost every week.

As a result, there are more Cowboys (and Steelers) fans located outside of their home city than any other team.

~Bang

It's not as complicated as that but you do make some valid points.

NFL Films dubbed one of their highlight films as "America's Team" in the late 70's and because the Cowboys were an NFL Power at the time (2nd only to the great Steelers teams), it stuck.

Perhaps the cowboy romantic myth might be a reason why it stuck (though the Steelers, representing blue collar American workers would have probably been more accurate).

I don't think Texas has anything to do with it.

I don't think most people (back then or now) think Texas when they think America.

I do think that Tom Landry and Roger Staubach were admired guys back then, but I'm not so sure they were any more admired as Bud Grant/Fran Tarkenton or Chuck Noll/Terry Bradshaw.

No, I think it's pretty simple.

NFL Films comes up with one of their corny team highlight film titles.

The Cowboys go with it.

The Cowboys are very very very good so it kind of sticks.

I believe they also have more Super Bowl appearances than any other team, which is likely to contribute to a strong following of football straggling transients. The guy who runs the liquor store I go to is straight from India, probably 60 years old, is a diehard Cowboys fan. An immigrant, living in Southern, southern MD is a Cowboys fan. Unreal.

I've got a 30pack of Natty on the line for this game with him. Hmm, I can almost taste it.

It couldn't have anything to do with......

Most Super Bowls - Dallas Cowboys - 5

Most Super Bowl Appearances - Dallas Cowboys - 8

Most Playoff Wins - Dallas Cowboys - 32

Highest Franchise Winning Percentage (playoffs included) - Dallas Cowboys - .577

Winning Record Against 26 of the 31 other teams - (Including all of their NFC-East rivals) - Dallas Cowboys

No way it could have anything to do with that.....

I believe they also have more Super Bowl appearances than any other team, which is likely to contribute to a strong following of football straggling transients. The guy who runs the liquor store I go to is straight from India, probably 60 years old, is a diehard Cowboys fan. An immigrant, living in Southern, southern MD is a Cowboys fan. Unreal.

I've got a 30pack of Natty on the line for this game with him. Hmm, I can almost taste it.

LOL is this place in Mechanicsville by chance?

The funniest fans of all are the local Cowpie "contrarian" fans who we all have in our families here. Everyone know someone who wears Cowboys shirts because their whole family are Redskins fans? Every family has at least one.

My favorite are the ones out here on the West Coast who claim to be fans and yet I know 1,000,000 times more about "their team" than they do. Some people are just morons...I don't want them rooting for my team anyways!

:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

Highest Franchise Winning Percentage (playoffs included) - Dallas Cowboys - .577

Winning Record Against 26 of the 31 other teams - (Including all of their NFC-East rivals) - Dallas Cowboys

Seems like you would have read earlier posts that explained the reason. Just an excuse to crow instead, right?

It's not necessarily the quantity of fans but the QUALITY. The cowpiles have always been lagging in that department.

That's not true... Well it's true, but only as true for Cowboys, as it is for most other top franchises...

When you have so many fans, there's bound to be some ultra-homers and some fair-weather fans among them... However, there's also a ton of quality Cowboys fans, like myself, obsessive maybe, but some spend hours a day studying the NFL...

There's more Cowboys message boards than any other team by far... Cowboys fans also lead the way in cyber-media - thanks to a fellow cowboys fan and his website, I have every Dallas game since 2006 saved on a hard-drive, as well as all 5 super bowls... Most teams dont have sites dedicated to such things, but that shows the dedication and the obsessive nature of we proud Cowboy fans.... Do the Skins have such a site? I've looked, but couldn't find one...

On a whole, Cowboys fans are pretty good, as are Redskins fans...

:rolleyes: Ehhh :doh:

No way it could have anything to do with that! As stated previously in this thread Dallass became America's Team as a result of marketing savvy in the late 70's. Now unless I am mistaken most of those Super Bowl Victories, appearances, paloff victories, etc. came well after the America's Team moniker was developed and rammed down the general public's collective throat.

John Madden likes to reinforce it...

Madden reinforces everything. Like how he reads the plays perfectly...while he goes over the replay. And how Brett Favre is God's gift to Madden. And how well ya see right here is what the players were moving their feet to go downfield and score a touchdown because that's what you want to do in order to win a game and get six more points than you had before. :)

Archived