Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just 2 Questions

BigCountry22

Now I consider myself a pretty knowledgable football fan (I played in college) but I can not figure out the reasoning behind the following two things:

1. Why do teams insist on using a punter or backup QB as the holder? Wouldn't it make sense to use a WR, you know a person whose job it is to catch the football? Now I know that the punter and kicker are all by themselves during practice and this allows them time to develope chemistry but that then wouldn't account for using a backup QB. Now I know teams might use a QB to allow for fakes and such but how many times do you really see those? Using a WR isn't unprecendented as Notre Dame used Samardzija and I know my team at Lehigh always used its best WR.

The Redskins have the perfect person to do this job in Randle El, he gives you great hands and the threat of a pass. If not him then a steady veteran like Thrash, not a scared rookie like Durant Brooks who should be focused on punting.

2. Why did the Skins not have Kelly, Davis or Thomas in as they approached the goal line during the 5 drives in the first half that resulted in FG attempts? I know Kelly sprained his ankle but what about the other two? Why not give your team the opportunity for a lob to the corner or a physical mismatch on the smaller safety and corners? I know this might be a result of it being early in the season and them having minimal practice time but at some point we need to give Campbell weapons as the field shrinks. Also, for my money Todd Yoder should never be in over a playmaker like Davis down close unless he is blocking.

I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

HAIL

1. It used to be that, often as not, holders were quarterbacks. Theismann still takes pride in how good a holder he was.

I think the reason now is a matter of convenience. Quarterbacks are too busy during practice working on the offense, working with receivers, running the scout team, etc., to take time practicing holding. I don't know what changed over the years that quarterbacks used to have more time to practice holding.

2. One explanation is that Zorn is not yet comfortable with the rookies in key situations, and that they need to prove they're ready. He's working them in slowly - each game they'll see more time. I suspect that, barring injury, all three will be contributing meaningfully in the second half of the season.

Here's a question... Does any NFL team use a quarterback or receiver as a holder? Anybody know of a team that does?

Ask Dallas in the playoffs. I'm sure you can find 8,000 pictures of it.

As for why Kelly, Thomas, and Davis weren't in the red zone, I can tell you that I was asking the same question every time we were in there during both games.

My thought is that the punter is used to handling long snaps from center and if he gets plowed into by a 300 lb lineman trying to block a kick then oh well we just sign Joe Blow to come in and punt. There are very few Joe Blows who can play QB. That's just my guess anyway.

2nd question - I'm thinking that Zorn has yet to have full confidence in DT and MK to put them in critical situations. If they progress I'm quite sure we'll see more of them.

Good questions

1. Why do teams insist on using a punter or backup QB as the holder? Wouldn't it make sense to use a WR, you know a person whose job it is to catch the football? Now I know that the punter and kicker are all by themselves during practice and this allows them time to develope chemistry but that then wouldn't account for using a backup QB. Now I know teams might use a QB to allow for fakes and such but how many times do you really see those? Using a WR isn't unprecendented as Notre Dame used Samardzija and I know my team at Lehigh always used its best WR.

Punters and QBs are used to handing long snaps, including bad ones, and are often among the best athletes on the team (ND used Samardzija as hold because he was probably the best athlete in this case) and don't have much else to do. This tendency probably goes all the way back to the day when substitutions were limited. At the pro-level, roster sizes are very limited, so you pick a guy whose not going to be spending time with the regular offense or a lot of time with the scout team. Holding ability might be a way to get field time or make the difference at the margin. Holders who are also starters probably started holding because they wanted field time or wanted to make themselves more valuable to make the team originally.

Punters and QBs are used to handing long snaps, including bad ones, and are often among the best athletes on the team (ND used Samardzija as hold because he was probably the best athlete in this case) and don't have much else to do. This tendency probably goes all the way back to the day when substitutions were limited. At the pro-level, roster sizes are very limited, so you pick a guy whose not going to be spending time with the regular offense or a lot of time with the scout team. Holding ability might be a way to get field time or make the difference at the margin. Holders who are also starters probably started holding because they wanted field time or wanted to make themselves more valuable to make the team originally.

Errrr, how would a guy who's never used be the best athlete on the team?

1) obviously, you have the punter working with the snapper and kicker all practice long, but when you think about it, you really don't have any other free bodies to spend the right amount of time practicing it. don't forget, you have to have one qb playing the scout o qb. i think it really comes down to who can get the reps in to be good at it.

2) that question ticked me off too, but i did notice on portis' second td run, thomas was one on one right in front of me. i told my girlfriend to watch the jump ball b/c it looked like it was the perfect time...sure enough it was a draw, my girlfriend was watching thomas, and i got yelled at b/c she missed the td...damn it.

1.) Not sure. I know the sports reporters were talking about this same thing this afternoon. It was posited that Collins or Brennan could even be the holder if Brooks if having problems. Obviously, Brennan wouldn't be a viable option since he's usually inactive on game day, but I wouldn't mind seeing Collins in there. If anything, it gives us the option to fake, as well as gives Collins at least something to do instead of ride the pine all game. Of course, the thought of Randle El is legitimate, so long as he doesn't fumble it away like he did with that one punt. ;)

2.) I think this will come in time. These guys need to prove that they can make plays, first and foremost. Plays deep in our own territory, plays at midfield, etc. I think once these guys show that they can be playmakers in other facets of the game, then Zorn will get comfortable using them in the red zone more often. I understand the idea that we have 6'-2"+ receivers that should be able to catch the ball over defenders, but so far they haven't shown much yet. Even Zorn said in today's press conference that Thomas had some issues yesterday, mainly with the depths of his routes.

And as long as we have Cooley, Portis, Randle El, and Moss, Zorn will likely want to stick with the veterans for the first half of the season or so - unless Thomas, Kelly, and Davis step up and do some great things in positions on the field other than the red zone. But I do agree - with the height that Kelly and Thomas have, and the obvious fact that Davis could be much more of a playmaker than Yoder, we need to at least try to get the ball to one of these guys. If anything, after a couple of games of ignoring them, it's possible the defense will overwrite them in future contests - and that's when we strike.

Archived