Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we lacking the proper personnel to run a WCO?

NoCalMike

My immediate thoughts after watching this offense is that it looked absolutely nothing like the offense that the Seahawks have been running which is the WCO system Zorn came from. Now I know he was going to tweak it a little bit, but I saw more short dumpoff passes in the flat(s) then I did under Joe Gibbs v.2

This begs the question, until Thomas & Kelly are healthy and contributing, is this the kind of production we are going to see out of the passing game?

The WCO really needs those big WRs to be going across the middle. It is very hard to send Moss and ARE across the middle because they are so small, and are very tiny targets for a QB.

Are we simply lacking the personnel right now?

(Well that and the fact that the O-line play was embarrasing for the most part)

Good Gawd people, this was our only our first freaking game in this new system, and it was against the world champs. Some of you people are just unbelievable :doh:

Actually this would have been the 6th the game. Let's not forget the 1st 5 preseasons games as well. This game looked no different the last two preseason games.

My immediate thoughts after watching this offense is that it looked absolutely nothing like the offense that the Seahawks have been running which is the WCO system Zorn came from.

That offense was run by Mike Holmgren and their offensive coordinator. Zorn was just a QB coach... and really, Mike Holmgren spent a ton of time with Hasselbach, so you'd have to attribute his development to him. He developed Favre too.

Anyway, that was Holmgren's offense in Seattle. Zorn not having Holmgren is a huge difference, needless to say.

This has been the Skins history. Constant change will eventually have results like this. Marty Schottenheimer was on the verge of turning the team around but they fire him. Saunders offense had the Skins in the playoffs last year but the Skins elected to get rid of him. So you have a team learning another system. Its ridiculous. I said from the beginning that Greag Williams ans Saunders should've been given a chance to continue what they started. I'm getting sick of this.

No, we clearly don't have the right personnel. It's going to take at least 2 more drafts to be a SB contender.

My buddies have always kidded me but I always say that you can never go wrong drafting in the trenches. You can't tell me Seattle has better skilled position offensive players than the Skins. Fact is they've been in the system a while and they're offensive line is a cohesive unit.

My buddies have always kidded me but I always say that you can never go wrong drafting in the trenches. You can't tell me Seattle has better skilled position offensive players than the Skins. Fact is they've been in the system a while and they're offensive line is a cohesive unit.

Seattle has a QB. There is no comparison between Hasselbach and Campbell. None.

Portis is better than anything they have at RB and Moss and ARE are probably better, too. Cooley is much better than their TE.

The OL isn't as good, IMO.

However... it's all about the QB, and Campbell isn't an NFL starter. That makes all the difference in the world.

Seattle has a QB. There is no comparison between Hasselbach and Campbell. None.

Portis is better than anything they have at RB and Moss and ARE are probably better, too. Cooley is much better than their TE.

The OL isn't as good, IMO.

However... it's all about the QB, and Campbell isn't an NFL starter. That makes all the difference in the world.

Man Hasselbeck wasn't a gang buster from day one. He didn't start until his 3rd year but even then his 1st year i the WCO his #'s weren't great. He was brought along slowly in a stable sitaution.

No doubt we need more weapons on the field.Have to help our QB by not dropping balls and while Campbell needs to stop holding the ball.Either throw it away or start scrambling.Feel the long pass to Moss he could have picked up good yardage running.I think coming back from a serious knee injury he is a little tentative to run.Offensive line play has to improve

Yeah we looked like crap, at least they turned it up in the second half a bit (still not good enough though).

We only scored those seven points because of penalties. Take those away and we lay a goose egg.

I reiterate what someone said above though - our FO picked this coach to install the WCO, it's going to take time and it's not going to be pretty. But we need to STICK with it for a change instead of this knee-jerk BS that they've been doing for the past decade. Seems like as soon a coach shows a glimmer of a system coming into maturity they get fired. Give Zorn time to get his personnel in there.

Just the QB, I really don't think Campbell is the right fit for the WCO. Its not that he's a bad QB its just the fact that his abilities are suited to a run and gun offense. A lot of shotgun and play action which is opened up by some strong running. In the Bronco's system Campbell would be king.

The personnel wasnt the problem. The problem was none of the personnel was put in a position to make plays. That would be Zorn's fault. Just watching the last 5 minutes of that game proved that the problem lay with Zorn's playcalling(well, and Santana's continuing inability to catch the ball).

Archived