Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell and reading a defense (long)

PortisBetts

Even a moron knows that JC doesn't have time to look and see where the sticks are before he throws on third down. That is the WR's job to line up at the line, know where the marker is and don't break off your route until you are there.

Campbell did plenty wrong but the majority of times he threw for less than the first down it was on the receiver, not Campbell.

In addition, the WR's on the field are not really suited for this offense. They get pushed around to easily. Moss can be good but he drops balls that hit him in the chest and/or face mask. Everyone was excited that Thomas and Kelly were drafted. Those are what the offense needed for Campbell to be successful in this system. Now that he has the same "weapons" as last year, that everyone said weren't good enough six months ago, suddenly Campbell is at fault again.

Thanks. I was wondering why all the routes were short of the first. Did they run them short incorrectly or was the play reliant on YAC to get the first?

Thanks. I was wondering why all the routes were short of the first. Did they run them short incorrectly or was the play reliant on YAC to get the first?

Not everyone was this situation. Many of the others were the receivers not being open or Campbell checking down to someone whom he hoped would get YAC. The majority of them were receivers cutting their routes shorts of the first down marker by about a yard or more. They run past the marker and we are talking about how JC looked OK but not great last night (IMO).

It looked to me like the Giant's secondary was lined up on first down marker on third down and the Skins receivers were going to the open spot. The Giants were daring them to pass underneath.

Not sure if it is the design of the play, the play calling or the execution (receivers not getting past the sticks before they make their cut). Whatever its not good enough.

However on that 4th down play there was a great replay shot from behind Campbell which showed he had Cooley over the middle running a hook I assume at the marker - he was covered. He has a receiver deeper on the right who also hooked up in the zone but was doubled. Campbell held it waiting - hoping? - one of them would make a move a shake coverage but they just stood still. Betts was the only place he could have gone with the ball with the rush closing.

:applause: The few times the NBC feed showed the downfield view, it looked to me like our receivers were covered. I might download and post the images so people will stop talking about all the 'open receivers' Campbell missed.

I think last night was a function of the coaching.

Zorn got outcoached by Spangnulo. The WCO is nothing new in the NFC East.

The G-men did a good job of getting pressure while clogging passing lanes. Zorn must improve the playcalling and get receivers open, consistently.

Zorn's reliance on the run seemed (to me) like he was conceding that he didn't know how to get the passing game going.

He needs to be more creative in the future.

If it means deviating from a 'pure' WCO then fine. :cheers:

It looked to me like the Giant's secondary was lined up on first down marker on third down and the Skins receivers were going to the open spot. The Giants were daring them to pass underneath.

Well one of the first things they teach receivers in that situation is if a corner is squatting on the short route on 3rd a medium you need to go right at him fast and drive him off the marker. Get the DB to turn his hips then make your cut.

To get the DB to respect that of course you have to show a willingness and ability to throw the ball up the field.

In addition, the WR's on the field are not really suited for this offense. They get pushed around to easily. Moss can be good but he drops balls that hit him in the chest and/or face mask. Everyone was excited that Thomas and Kelly were drafted. Those are what the offense needed for Campbell to be successful in this system. Now that he has the same "weapons" as last year, that everyone said weren't good enough six months ago, suddenly Campbell is at fault again.

Good thought but I am not sure about that. How is it that Todd Collins was able to be productive with the same guys. Different system I know, but he was able to connect to the WR's.

• 1 month later...
Cambell provides no confidence into our offense. He does not have that spark. He is not a winner. He has no sense of urgency.
I know i am new but i have watched football since i was 3 years old.
After 4 years, he can still not read an NFL defense.
I refuse to believe that Gibbs and co. did not try to teach him this aspect of the game. He looks unbelievably confused at anything a defense throws at him. He has no idea where to look no matter what the defense does. He is easily confused. He makes no adjustments at the line whether it is a run or a pass.
No matter how much he studies, i dont see any kind of improvement in any part of his game.
I honestly believe that campbell will be replaced by the middle of the season.
Do i believe he will turn the corner? No. I think Brennan is our future. He has an aura about him.
Campbell has no confidence in himself and it is conveyed to the rest of the offense.
I feel like he will just not cut it ever. He doesnt exert that energy into his team mates.
Campbell seems as if he does not have an idea of where the first down marker is.
I just do not feel that Campbell can even manage a game. He is only good in the no huddle and have never really seen him do much with the huddle. I think that as long as he is in, we will be an 8-8 team at best.
With the talent on our team, that is unacceptable. Especially with the defense picking their game up when they need to like they always do. I will stop now because i wrote a lot and ive been drinking.

:laugh: ...:cheers::40oz::pint::wavetowel:cry::pint::puke:

If i am out of line or disagreed with just delete this post but i think i this is the thoughts of a lot of fans and even Zorn.

:helmet:

really not a call out, i just thought this was hilarious

We all know Campbell is not going to be a Top 5 QB in the league but he does manage the game well. Its doesn't mean he can't help win a superbowl. He has two years on his contract, enough time to both see what he can do under Zorn and get Colt up to speed in the system.

I say relax and enjoy the 5-2. This team finally is heading in the right direction and has players that really work hard to win. Just enjoy the season; Colt will have a chance but let's give Campbell his shot too.

Well i just typed a whole thing saying how i was wrong and no one deserves more props then jc....besides maybe cp....but a)my internet sucks and deleted my post and B) i was wrong and am glad i am. We have a franchise qb who will only get better in time in this system. I was way to fast to judge.

Congrats JC and hope for your continued success because YOU CAN LEAD US TO GREATNESS....I AM A BELIEVER!!!!

Well i just typed a whole thing saying how i was wrong and no one deserves more props then jc....besides maybe cp....but a)my internet sucks and deleted my post and B) i was wrong and am glad i am. We have a franchise qb who will only get better in time in this system. I was way to fast to judge.

Congrats JC and hope for your continued success because YOU CAN LEAD US TO GREATNESS....I AM A BELIEVER!!!!

by the way gortiz.....hysterical...even though you said a it wasnt a call out....it was and i deserve it....best tasting crow ever

:applause:

+100 awesome points for eating crow. Best tasting crow ever, aint it?

Campbell finished 14-for-23 for 164 yards and one touchdown. He remains the only starting quarterback without an interception this season.

The good news is he didn't lose the game for us. The bad news is he just seems very average. With some other Redskins playing at a higher level like they are, an average QB may be good enough to make the playoffs.

We need to recognize that what we see is what we get with Campbell. It just seems to be more of the same: average.

I hope he performs consistently at a higher level. He makes an occasional great play which shows that he could.

Do we have to wait another year or two?

In an odd way I have to say I kind of agree with the thread starter. I don't know how great Jason can be, but he hasn't been great. I can see what you mean about Brennan's "Aura", another QB that has this is Denver's Jay Cutler. 3 years in the league and Cutler is already displaying that he is one of the best in the league. I think Colt has that in him too.

Still not 100% sure why I still read anything in this area of The Stadium, and this post is one of the examples why. Name another starting QB in the league with 0 INT's, can't do it? Well that could be because JC is the only one in the league that has yet to throw and interception!!!

The OP says that he's "watched" football since he was 3. Well I've been involved in football as a player or coach since I was 8 and a fan since around age 2 or 3. Let's see if I can give you a little bit of knowledge of changing systems in football since you're so "knowledgeable" of how the game should be played and are making millions as a coach. It's like being a pastry chef for 8 years and then suddenly you're expected to start cooking French cuisines. Yes, it is a very similar analogy. You're expecting someone to go from one way of reading a defense to another way and thinking this guy is going to just make it happen.

If he were so unable to read the defenses as has been stated, he'd have double digit picks already instead of 7 TD's with no INT's. Get off your easy chair and try learning a little about the game instead of trying to micromanage something you know nothing about.

Wow :doh:

No matter what the man does, he still gets no respect from some "fans" of his team.

The guy has been playing GREAT FOOTBALL this year, whether you'd like to admit it or not. Not only has he adapted to yet ANOTHER system, but he has done great at it. He doesn't have high stats(passing yards, TDs), yea they're low...just like his INT #s this year (ZERO in case anyone has forgotten).

The guy has played much better than I, and most other Redskins fans thought he would after having to learn a new system. His passing numbers have not been high, but a HUGE ass reason for that is because we have the LEAGUE LEADING RUSHER in CP. Not to mention the dropped balls and BULL**** penalties called on some big plays of his (which most had nothing to do with the outcome of the play, btw).

JC is playing exceptionally well. And whenever we have been losing in the 2nd half of games, the man steps up and delivers.

I think some Redskins fans, a lot like a vast majority of Cubs fans, actually enjoy it more when we suck and our FO makes dumb decision after dumb decision (whether or not they'd admit it).

Also, THIS IS A HUGE REASON WHY LOCAL MEDIA *******S LIKE JASON LA ****SUCKERA ARE STILL WORKING AND COVERING THE SKINS. I mean, not only does that little shrimp **** La ****suckera make biased and unwarranted remarks at the Skins, BUT THE SON OF A WHORE ACTUALLY TRIED TO HAVE THE REDSKINS GET IN TROUBLE FOR TAMPERING. I have no idea how any TRUE REDSKINS FAN can STILL support the guy after that. If you guys would stop supporting *******s like him, he would be eventually fired or moved to another position.

In an odd way I have to say I kind of agree with the thread starter. I don't know how great Jason can be, but he hasn't been great. I can see what you mean about Brennan's "Aura", another QB that has this is Denver's Jay Cutler. 3 years in the league and Cutler is already displaying that he is one of the best in the league. I think Colt has that in him too.

The OP just ate crow, I'm wondering if you still agree with him.

An "aura" means jack crap when it comes time to play. Look at Cutler today, he was terrible. Yes, Cutler has had some great games this season, but his "aura" has kept his team out of the playoffs - and when he took over, his team was in the playoff hunt!

We all act as thought JC needs to do something phenomenal with the ball every time he touches it. Why? Because that's what Brett Favre did? What does he need to do to gain said "aura"? Throw TD's everytime? Throw the deep ball? Stand in the pocket while there are perfectly good people to throw to and wait for rushers to come just so he can run around and make a running throw just so we can say, yes, he is JUST like Romo sits to pee and Favre? Why does he have to be a "gunslinger"? Because Romo sits to pee and Favre are? Gunslingers throw ints. Romo sits to pee and Favre aren't what I want JC to strive for. Romo sits to pee and Favre are great QBs, yes, but they do as much to hurt their teams chances of winning as they do to help it. So no, JC, I don't want you to be a gunslinger. And he's no game-manager, game-managers are Trent Dilfer, they rely on others to win. JC has made plays, tons of them, with his feet, with his arm. So JC isn't a game manager either. What is he? A ****ing duelist who shoots from the hip. Gunslingers twirl their gun around, duelists get the job done.

Campbell has not lost us a game yet and is still learning a system which takes three years to learn - as said by the guy who ran it the best. He has no INT's against some damn good secondaries. No one - from the vehement Colt supporter to the vehement JC supporter - thought we legitimetly would be 5-2 at this point and JC has done all he can to get us here. While he learns, more will be added to his workload, until then can't we just be happy he's doing well?

^^ Well said. Simply put, Jason is an extremely smart QB who makes the right reads and puts the ball into the hands of his playmakers. It's unbelievable just how wrong so many were here about his intelligence as a QB. You don't go into week 8 in the NFL with 0 INTs when you're not a smart QB. It's impossible.

I love watching Jason get more and more comfortable in this offense. Tough games against good defenses are going to come... but he's proven he's a fast learner. We should all sit back and enjoy the ride.

Archived