Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why did we give Jon Jansen an extension?

Skins4ever1

This is just another fine example of why our front office has no clue what they are doing. Jon just got beat out by Stephon. Jon's cap hit is like 8 million the next couple of years. Why in the heck is he making this kind of money if he can't even start? Please don't make excuses and try and justify the extension because they should have seen his decline 2 years ago. This is flat out disgusting. We can't afford to cut him.

Jansen had shown his worth the season before. He also played with two broken arms. I think he earned it.

Plus, Dockery was gone. At the time would you have rather parted with Dockery or Jansen?

THe only reason he got an extension was to lower the cap this year. Now we will pay for it. Think about it for a minute.

He earned the $$$. Never missed a game till 2005, aka the rock. He without a doubt has been an anchor and a strongpoint of this line since since he started as a rookie. He can't predict his injuries and neither can the FO. At the time they gave him an extenstion he was a quality RT

Jansen had shown his worth the season before. He also played with two broken arms. I think he earned it.

Plus, Dockery was gone. At the time would you have rather parted with Dockery or Jansen?

Thumbs, not arms.

To the OP,

You can't foresee a guy like Jansen getting his job taken away. He hasn't been Pro Bowl caliber the past few years, but he's still been a reliable RT. They extended him because he deserves it. Now, he obviously has lost a step and for whatever reason keeps getting beat in pass pro.

Whether or not he can get into the flow later on in the season is irrelevant b/c I personally don't want to find out. Meanwhile, our qb would be getting killed out there. The Heyer move was a good one, but you can't fault the FO for keeping him here. At some point, starters get replaced by younger starters. :2cents:

He earned the $$$. Never missed a game till 2005, aka the rock. He without a doubt has been an anchor and a strongpoint of this line since since he started as a rookie. He can't predict his injuries and neither can the FO. At the time they gave him an extenstion he was a quality RT

He was hurt last year. How did he earn another extension? e was already paid very well. It was for the cap.

This is just another fine example of why our front office has no clue what they are doing. Jon just got beat out by Stephon. Jon's cap hit is like 8 million the next couple of years. Why in the heck is he making this kind of money if he can't even start? Please don't make excuses and try and justify the extension because they should have seen his decline 2 years ago. This is flat out disgusting. We can't afford to cut him.

If Heyer plays better than Jansen than their salaries will offset each other. Jansen can get his feet back and will be there late in the season when we may need a vet back up. If Heyer is playing better right now than start him. Jon decline is because of injuries (achilies, dislocated ankle, broken hands). He is lucky he can walk.

So what would YOU have done?

I find it funny how people bash our front office, but then dont give any tidbits or ideas on what THEY would have done differently. There is a reason you post here on a forum and dont run a team or make personnel decisions.

If every fan had a chance to run our team for one year, do you

think we would be any better? I think not heh

Let them do their jobs and quit whining about things that are out of your control already (not just you, everyone)

He was hurt last year. How did he earn another extension? e was already paid very well. It was for the cap.

This year was a designed restructure from the way they structured the contract when he signed the original deal. I think it was a convert salary to signing bonus thing.

As for the original extension, he actually came off a pretty decent season in 2006. While he did play hurt for a good amount of the season, he was able to do a good job out there at RT and they felt that he was deserving of an extension. Certainly, we can call it a bad idea in hindsight, but you don't know when or if a player is going to fall off. Certainly there are teams that make the opposite decision about players and they go on to play another 5 years. You never know.

Jason

I would be one of the very last members here to make excuses for Jon Jansen, trust me when I say that.

But it must be real easy for you to kick back in your computer chair and type out just how stupid the front office is for not being able to see into the future and know that Jansen would not be able to play even close to the level that we've all been use to him playing at in years past.

The FO gave the benefit of the doubt to a player who actually earned it over the course of his career.

It's just that simple. Stop hating just to be hating.

Because he earned it, jeez.

No one is saying that Jansen is bad, he just isn't as good as Heyer at this point.

Anyone stop to think that this may mean that Heyer has actually gotten BETTER? No, it's just hellfire and brimstone on this board when it comes to any situation.

Nailed it. Heyer looked great the last two games he's been in there. We'd be stupid not to give him the job because we'd hurt Jansen's feelings. If Heyer was smoke and mirrors, we have a great back up there waiting to get his starting job back.

Great move.

Oh, and btw, the OP is confused between the extension Jansen got and the restructuring of his contract this offseason. This thread should be closed honestly.

Umm, if any of the later comments were referring to my last quote, I was saying that Jansen earned the benefit of the doubt. Not the actual extenstion.

There was no way that the FO (or anyone else for that matter) could have foreseen Jansen declining the way that he has.

I have been one of this boards biggest advocates in replacing Jon Jansen since last season.

But, I won't blame anyone for believing that he could come back.

Man the story gets better every season. I think he had two broken thumbs.... not arms.

In a few years it will be "Remember when Jansen played without his legs!?!?! He was in his wheelchair blocking Strahan!"

I imagine if they didn't extend him and he was on some other roster, this thread would be "Why o why did our horrible FO let a great vet like Jansen get away? We NEVER re-sign our own. We never have respect for our players. Everything we do is incredibly stupid!"

Guy put in the time, was playing well when they extended him, has restructured more than once to help the team with the cap (and he doesn't have to do that), been a leader and a captain of the team, etc. And I don't think we've seen the last of him at RT with this team. Dollars to doughnuts he starts again sometime this season.

Im not sure he would have been cut even if he was being paid less. Hes a leader on the team and can still go. Sure hes not the rock of 04 and we cant leave him on an island like Samuels. But he is going to be helping out all over the line. Hes still going to be contributing whether you like it or not. Who knows, mid season he might win his job back when he gets his legs under him.

1, Zorn did the right thing regardless of politics.

2. Jansen has been a "core" Redskin, but if anyone thinks he got the extension for any other reason other than to lower the cap they are lying to themselves.

3. This was a direct result of ignoring the draft and signing "big name" players that were not worth it. We all laughed at the prospect of cap hell, yea we avoided it but this is the cost.

4. We made mistakes in the past, but we will be fine.

Archived