Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why did we give Jon Jansen an extension?

Skins4ever1

Man the story gets better every season. I think he had two broken thumbs.... not arms.

In a few years it will be "Remember when Jansen played without his legs!?!?! He was in his wheelchair blocking Strahan!"

He was actually on the sidelines using mind control against Strahan. It was really amazing.

ProfessorX.jpg

Well it was actually a restructure this last time and not really an extension. They converted his salary to a signing bonus and lowered the cap number this year. ( six million dollars through the 2011 season converted to a bonus)

He was restructured to make cap room this past off season and it's something he was not required to do.

However, it's good to have depth along the line. He practiced as a center, could probably play guard and can fill in at tackle. His base salary is negligible this year and the cap hit is not bad while on the roster. Next season, he could be cut and the hit would be 4.7 million.

So which is it, Eagles fan?

This is just another fine example of why our front office has no clue what they are doing. Jon just got beat out by Stephon. Jon's cap hit is like 8 million the next couple of years. Why in the heck is he making this kind of money if he can't even start? Please don't make excuses and try and justify the extension because they should have seen his decline 2 years ago. This is flat out disgusting. We can't afford to cut him.
Exactly. By week 3 people will be begging for Jansen back.

Not sure what was the dumber move in 06 (we have so many to choose):

-Two draft picks for TJ Duckett (nevermind the fact that the position coach-EB-was telling you that Betts can do the job while CP was out)

-Signing Jon "I've sucked since Marty" Jansen to an extension

-Signing Ladell Betts to a new contract (great if he was going to take over for CP...we got a bargain... but stupid for a backup running back)

That was the trifecta of non long term planning that is so evident by this organization.......which they still practice (2nd rounder for Jason Taylor).

This is just another fine example of why our front office has no clue what they are doing. Jon just got beat out by Stephon. Jon's cap hit is like 8 million the next couple of years. Why in the heck is he making this kind of money if he can't even start? Please don't make excuses and try and justify the extension because they should have seen his decline 2 years ago. This is flat out disgusting. We can't afford to cut him.

It's simple -- Vinny Cerrato is a complete idiot.

So what would YOU have done?

I find it funny how people bash our front office, but then dont give any tidbits or ideas on what THEY would have done differently. There is a reason you post here on a forum and dont run a team or make personnel decisions.

If every fan had a chance to run our team for one year, do you

think we would be any better? I think not heh

Let them do their jobs and quit whining about things that are out of your control already (not just you, everyone)

Actually, there is an obvious answer to this that is indeed better then what our FO has done.

You draft a middle-late rounder 3-4 years ago to groom and eventually replace him. When his contract is up, you don't sign him to the same type of damaging, long term deal that we did.

This practice is done to perfection just up the turnpike in Philly, where the Eagles do exactly this year in and year out, and stay well under the cap.

-Two draft picks for TJ Duckett (nevermind the fact that the position coach-EB-was telling you that Betts can do the job while CP was out)

-Signing Ladell Betts to a new contract (great if he was going to take over for CP...we got a bargain... but stupid for a backup running back)

That was the trifecta of non long term planning that is so evident by this organization.......which they still practice (2nd rounder for Jason Taylor).

I have no problem whatsoever with the Betts contract. The other two weren't the smoothest moves in franchise history.

I wonder if the OP would be happier if Zorn decided to start Jansen because of money, as opposed to starting Heyer because he's performed better.

And really, enough with the damn doom and gloom about paying for it later. As of right now, there is NO cap as of 2010, and with Gene Upshaw now deceased, who knows what will happen there.

Besides, when have you EVER seen us not do exactly what we want to do in regards to the cap? Remember two years ago when Peter King, Lenny P and all the others said we were so screwed we may as well FOLD?

Why people are still afraid of that mythical boogeyman is beyond me.

Some of you probably still believe there's a monster under your bed.

~Bang

Actually, there is an obvious answer to this that is indeed better then what our FO has done.

You draft a middle-late rounder 3-4 years ago to groom and eventually replace him. When his contract is up, you don't sign him to the same type of damaging, long term deal that we did.

This practice is done to perfection just up the turnpike in Philly, where the Eagles do exactly this year in and year out, and stay well under the cap.

Except that we did do that when we drafted Wilson and Molinaro. Simply drafting a guy is no guarantee that you will find someone to replace your veteran.

Jason

I couldn't care less how much he is making because it's not my money but it does bother me that this front office can't see when a player is on the decline. It was pretty obvious to me for 2 years now. You don't pay an average player for past performance, especially when he has already been paid extremely well for year. I think this is like his 4 year in a row he has gotten an extension just to get under the cap. This isn't the only aging player we are going to be stuck with because we can't afford to cut them.

There was no way that the FO (or anyone else for that matter) could have foreseen Jansen declining the way that he has.

I have been one of this boards biggest advocate in replacing Jon Jansen since last season.

But, I won't blame anyone for believing that he could come back.

My hope is that Jansen can make the transition to Guard. However, his decline as a RT has been commented upon for the last few years. It should not come as a shock to anyone.

I couldn't care less how much he is making because it's not my money but it does bother me that this front office can't see when a player is on the decline. It was pretty obvious to me for 2 years now. You don't pay an average player for past performance, especially when he has already been paid extremely well for year. I think this is like his 4 year in a row he has gotten an extension just to get under the cap. This isn't the only aging player we are going to be stuck with because we can't afford to cut them.
We didn't give Jansen an extension this offseason.

My hope is that Jansen can make the transition to Guard. However, his decline as a RT has been commented upon for the last few years. It should not come as a shock to anyone.

NOT...Another failed attempt like T. Wade. He's built for tackle. He'll have the same problem Wade did because he's so tall.

Heyer's off season program brought him to camp in great shape. What's the worst that could happen? Heyer plays great and keeps the job? John is a great player to have and he provides solid depth.

FO is horrible that I agree with.

-I agree with the TJ thing

-Jansen has not sucked for that long though. He started declining once he started getting injured often and for long periods of time. But he deserved that extension at the time. They couldn't predict that he would get injured so severly.

-I think signing Betts was a great idea. He is a very capable Back-up and I for one am glad he's here. He could start for at least 5 other teams in this league.

This is just another sign of the novice way the FO runs things. We cut or don't resign players who can contribute on a high level, and keep other players too long. If this was the Eagles, they would have cut Jansen when the season was over. And it can be debated ad nauseaum if Jansen performed well in 2006. He obviously did not perform well in 2007, injures, yes, downside, I think so.

Resigning him is going to contribute to losing players in the near future to FA.

I know I am going to get killed for this but...

I know as a Redskin fan, we tend to overvalue our players...using phrases like "Core Redskins" and "loyalty to the franchise".

Some say Jansen desevered it because of his past play here. With that I say, loyalty is for fans only. This is a business and the right business move would have been to offer Jansen market value for a 32 yr old, declining, oft injured, backup player. If he did not accept it, then cut he should have been.

I know I am going to get killed for this but...

I know as a Redskin fan, we tend to overvalue our players...using phrases like "Core Redskins" and "loyalty to the franchise".

Some say Jansen desevered it because of his past play here. With that I say, loyalty is for fans only. This is a business and the right business move would have been to offer Jansen market value for a 32 yr old, declining, oft injured, backup player. If he did not accept it, then cut he should have been.

We gave a 31 year old All Pro tackle a 5 year, $23M contract. That's $4.5M a year. You should check out what other lineman are making, it's a lot more. His catastrophic injury was both impossible to foresee and NOT his fault. It was a freak accident. We made the right decision in extending Jansen, even if it doesn't work out.

Archived