Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are our options with Malcolm Kelly?

JeffSchmeff

Just to help out a few posters the PUP list is for players who come into camp injured and cant practice. Since Kelly did practice in the beginning he is not PUP eligible.

He will stay on the Redskins 53

i could be wrong but didnt the giants put Osi on the pup list? he wasnt injured going in to camp.

Kelly reportedly looked sharp in camp pre injury.

He practiced Wednesday.

Sounds to me like he has looked good when healthy, is about healthy now, and got held out of last night's game as a precaution because his knee swelled before the game.

And as another poster mentioned, he catches everything.

Having missed all of the preseason games he will have to slowly work himself into the rotation. I would expect that by week 4-5 we'll be seeing quite a bit of MK.

I cant believe we drafted Malcom Kelly and D. Thomas when there were soo many other options out there like Hardy or Sweed. I also cant believe the recievers we drafted are in such crappy shape and have played so horribly. Wow.

Have you seen any of these other WRs play? I saw Hardy catch a TD but haven't paid any attention to his production. How about Sweed?

I can understand the frustration with Thomas and Kelly. The expectations were that these guys would flash signs of becoming #1 receivers sooner rather than later. Instead Kelly hasn't made it on the field and Thomas looks inept. I hope Thomas doesn't turn into a bust. He's produced less than the WR scrubs that won't make the team. Thomas KO returns show only straight line running and no evasiveness. Not promising.

Given the injuries and slow development of the rookies I think Zorn is going to have to keep 6 Wrs. Tall Mix didn't produce enough to justify his position on the roster. I think we'll see McMullen as the 6th WR. All of the other hopeful WRs will be on the list of players that get called up if there's a season ending injury to a starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if we placed him on IR (not saying we sould but I wouldn't be surprised). This reminds me of the situation with the Saints last year and Robert Meacham (their 1st round pick). Meacham came into camp out of shape and got a similar muscle injury both DT and MK suffered from this training camp. He (meacham) missed most of training camp and was placed on the IR by Sean Payton. Reports this year from New Orleans is that he came in with a better focus and better shape and is competing for the 3rd WR spot.

The situation with Malcolm Kelly is eerily similar to the one described above that is why I think there is a possibility of putting him on IR.

Bust #2 in this years draft.

We knew he had bad knees prior to the draft.

He was slow at the combine.

We drafted him anyways AFTER taking a WR already for his size and yet we still drafted size in the later rounds and FAs.

He came into camp in "ok" shape. Zorn laid into both of the rooks.

Now they said it was a cleanup proceedure, so he should be better now. Well he's practicing, so he WILL make the team. Will he play? Probably not barring injuries to other players. Does this show some BUST potential....oh yeah.

J.Tryon was bust #1.

Just to help out a few posters the PUP list is for players who come into camp injured and cant practice. Since Kelly did practice in the beginning he is not PUP eligible.

Come on guys! It takes three pages for someone who actually knows the PUP rules to speak up and it's a cowboys fan! I thought we were smarter than that.

But yes, he is correct, once Kelly participated in his first practice he was no longer eligible for the PUP list, so that is not an option.

He won't be cut this season.

This was a 2nd round pick, we're not going to cut a 2nd rounder just b/c he's hurt.......I'd bet the Skins give him at least 2-3 seasons to prove himself.

he will not be cut :doh:
No we don't cut him. No he doesn't go on IR.

Lol. I'm sure there are more similar quotes. But because of these three, I don't need to add more.

What are you crazy? Cut our second round pick? Devin Thomas not making it? They are rookie wide receivers. They can get 6 catches like Dwayne Jarret did all last year. Hit the panic button if they are making no contribution next year, but anything other then that, your crazy

That's why I would rather trade picks for a proven product! There are many on this board who continue to overvalue draft picks.

Bah, you're crazy. Yeah lets go out and mortgage our future AGAIN for "proven commodities" who have already earned their paychecks somewhere else and are looking for a nice green pasture to lay an egg.

Please. The Redskins have ignored the draft for years and where has it gotten us? Where do you think "proven commodities" come from? Well, they don't come from a marketing company, and they don't come from outer space. They come through the draft and if you have a talented FO, they come to your team.

you don't cut a 2nd round pick. people need to stop saying that, its moronic. i don't think a 2nd round pick has ever been cut in the history of the world.

Actually, We, the Redskins, actually cut a 1st round draft pick in 1996, OL Andre Johnson. He was cut in camp..

"The Redskins worst draft picks over this period are as follows:

1. Andre T. Johnson, 1996, 1st round pick OL cut in camp and never played a down with the team"

Bust #2 in this years draft.

We knew he had bad knees prior to the draft.

He was slow at the combine.

We drafted him anyways AFTER taking a WR already for his size and yet we still drafted size in the later rounds and FAs.

He came into camp in "ok" shape. Zorn laid into both of the rooks.

Now they said it was a cleanup proceedure, so he should be better now. Well he's practicing, so he WILL make the team. Will he play? Probably not barring injuries to other players. Does this show some BUST potential....oh yeah.

J.Tryon was bust #1.

How the crap is Malcolm a bust? He hasn't even played for crying out loud. Let him at least get on the field before you say something lame like that.:gus:

Actually, We, the Redskins, actually cut a 1st round draft pick in 1996, OL Andre Johnson. He was cut in camp..

"The Redskins worst draft picks over this period are as follows:

1. Andre T. Johnson, 1996, 1st round pick OL cut in camp and never played a down with the team"

He was cut in camp the following year. Not the draft year. He rode the pine for a year.

For the love of ... Kelly has been hurt this entire time and hasn't the CHANCE to play! :doh:

Wide Receivers are guys you have to be patient with. Look at a guy like Robert Meachem, who was virtually lost for his entire rookie season. This year in the preseason, he's looked quite impressive so far!

The knee jerk reaction of some people on this board .. :doh:

Do any of you people who are calling Kelly a bust or saying the ever annoying "I told you so" or "I called it look it up" actually know what a knee scope is? It is removing scar tissue or "loose particles/bodies" from his knee that have developed from HEALING! It is natural to have them when recovering from an injury. Remember ARE had it done this offseason and it was 6-8 weeks before he started practicing. And you are ****ing that Kelly isn't producing when its only been 3-4 weeks since his was done? Get over yourself! It doesn't make you cool that you "called it" it makes you look like an idiot! You have no grasp of football knowledge to say he is a bust right now.

Kelly looked good early in camp. He was catching everything. The problem with Kelly right now is his health. You certainly don't cut him. The PUP might work for now. I predict he will shine more than Thomas in the long run (just my opinion).

Kelly looked good early in camp. He was catching everything. The problem with Kelly right now is his health. You certainly don't cut him. The PUP might work for now. I predict he will shine more than Thomas in the long run (just my opinion).

You can't PUP someone once they start practicing and Kelly has. Its out of the question. The only thing you do is play him when he is healthy.

Mannnn what the hell, none of our medical staff could see this before we drafted him????? :mad::mad::mad: Guess not..........

Actually we did know he had bad knees prior, but we still drafted him. The thought he was slowed by the knee and if he returns to 100 percent (which we still have yet to see) then he will be a gem.

My problem is people on this board like to compare this to Mech. and others.

Bottom Line: Bust factor is high with WRs. Why take the risk with 2 WR and TE in the 2nd round. I gave the draft a C and was blasted for it. SO FAR the draft is looking like a C. None of our early picks will play at all this season and they shouldve been fighting for the #3 SLOT. Now we have James Thrash and McMullen out playing Thomas....sad. We may cut Brooks, Tryon, and place others on PS. Even the safeties didnt fill the void. We're still trying to fill SS. Reed is garbage(again i got blasted months ago for saying it). Dirty 30 is solid, but no real good depth.

Archived