Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports.com NFLs top 10 fan bases

TheGoodBits

Are you kidding? I'm dealing with facts right now. Your stadium becomes a sea of midnight green every year. I've seen multitudes of threads in my time here with more devoted Skins fans begging others to not let this happen anymore. Its just the way it is.

Westy's feeling lonely over in ATN, methinks. He's over here trying to bang the drum...

Now we know where that foul odor came from: Philly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Could Sam Wyche have said "you don't live in Philly!" instead? Seriously, the story about Chief Z being hospitalized (in '83) in the other thread about 'is it safe to go to Philly for Skins fans'... that's pretty messed up man. I guess that's the kind of fan base required to be #1 in the eyes of Foxsports.

List is a joke.

#10 Dallas fans belong nowhere on this list. Biggest bandwagon fans around.

#9 Bears? They're solid, but I'm sorry when the Bears are bad, their fans are not very good.

#8 Bills :laugh: :laugh:

This guy makes excuses for the Bills fans not filling their stadium because they suck, yet we get no points for selling out and filling the former JKC stadium despite the fact we've been mediocre (at best). Makes perfect sense.

#7 Broncos. Consistent strong homefield win or lose. They deserve to be here, even though they are pretty annoying.

#6 Steelers. Pretty low ranking because Steeler fans travel well it seems everywhere.

#5 Packers. Eh. I guess they belong somewhere here, but I do think Packer fans are overrated. When the Packers sucked in the 80's, they did not provide much of a homefield advantage.

#4 Browns. Certainly. Very rabid and to their credit, they fought and saved the history of their team and did not give up on it like the fans in St. Louis did with the Cards or Baltimore fans did with the Colts when the Browns were stolen by Modell.

#3 Raiders? Yeah, those 40K a game are really great. :rolleyes:

#2 Chiefs. Too high. They might belong on the list, but not at 2.

#1 Eagles. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eagle fans are a joke. They don't belong anywhere near this list, let alone at #1.

To me, the measure of a fanbase is what happens when the team suffers through an extended losing period. How have we responded? By selling out a 92K stadium. Having what 20 or 30K on the waiting list. Strong local TV ratings. Now take into account just how sick it was back in the day when the Redskins ruled the NFL, and clearly the Skins belonged on this list and pretty far up it in my opinion.

I also think Seahawk fans belong high on this list.

When I moved to Dallas in 91, TV blackouts were prevented by a local grocery store buying up thousands of tickets every Friday morning.

The Stubhub argument is ridiculous. You can find tickets to every stadium in the league on that site. That's how I went to the Skins game in Dallas last year. BTW, I saw a lot of burgundy and gold in the stands that day, so that should bump Dallas out of the top 10.

Finally, I spent hours outside Fawcett Field earlier this month with 16,000 highly intelligent and good looking people. The place had never been so overrun by one team's fans, according to Michael Wilbon. We gave Art Monk a 4 minute standing ovation, another first for Canton. We did boo Irvin, but I think we were a little too nice about it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any D batteries or grain alcohol on me to take it to the next level.

Westbrook, I hope you enjoy your World Championship of Arbitrary Lists because you certainly don't have anything else on display in the trophy case.

From what I'vce seen, they're way off. I've lurked around the Eagle board during Chang's and Ilaoa's camps. They have nothing on this place. Not to mention all those ES that showed up for training camp and the scrimmage.

Redskings rock!!!

HTTR

It's nice to see an objective point of view - once again, kudos to our Hawaiian friends.

I have had the opportunity to live in Virginia for many years and now in Philly territory for eleven years. Philly does have a core group of fans who will always be there through thick and thin. During the lean years of the mid and late nineties, the fans followed the flyers and Eric Lindros more than the eagles. Ditto for the eagles/sixers. The vet would have empty seats during this time too.

In contrast, the Redskins always have a full house - no matter the record. Normally, the tailgating at Redskins games is about three times bigger than what the eagles fans will do at the Linc.

From a regional perspective, the eagles draw from the following areas --- New Jersey, but only the southern portions...southeastern PA (northeastern PA and the Poconos mainly support the NY teams)...a very small portion of extreme NE Maryland...and the extreme northern sections of Delaware. In contrast, the Redskins fan base draws from most of Maryland, the eastern half of West Virginia, the southern two-thirds of Delaware, virtually all of Virginia, the eastern third of Kentucky, and the extreme northern tier of North Carolina. In reality, there is no comparison.

Another measure of team loyalty is usage of the internet. Redskins fans (if you go by the number of members at various message boards) outnumber eagles fans by a 12/1 margin. Obviously, just the sheer volume of members at ES produces these massive numbers.

Another way to measure fan loyalty is team worth. It's not even close. Each year - through tickets sales, fan events, and souvenir sales, Redskins fans consistently bring in 25% more revenue than eagles fans.

And wait, there is more. At the recent HOF induction celebration, the Redskins had more fans in attendance than at any other ceremony in the HOF's history. No other fan base has ever come close.

There are many loyal fans who support their teams. The Redskins fans take it several notches higher. Why do other message boards try to imitate this message board (especially those who use similar names)? Yes, this is a rhetorical question. Copying what Redskins fans do is the best compliment of all.

Are you kidding? I'm dealing with facts right now. Your stadium becomes a sea of midnight green every year. I've seen multitudes of threads in my time here with more devoted Skins fans begging others to not let this happen anymore. Its just the way it is.

I am quite sure Lincoln stadium would see plenty of opposing fans if they were stupid enough to put their lives in jeopardy. Plus, who can stand the smell.

:eaglesuck

Not to mention all those ES that showed up for training camp and the scrimmage.

Redskings rock!!!

HTTR

If Westy really wants to see a stadium taken over, he should look at the previous posts here regarding FEDEX South. Add to that Philly fans do top the list in Tampa for the worst and most jailed fans of any team that plays there. Pride is not being ignorant. They are the most ignorant.

Honestly, The eagles should be in the top 5. I don't like them, but you can't deny that they have loyal fans. I think we should be in the top 5, but I guess, Fox hates us.

Are you serious? Their fans are the exact opposite of loyal. They boo like crazy if anything goes wrong.

Didn't you hear Jimmy Rollins call them frontrunners?

I search for this and didn't see anything.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8453940&MSNHPHMA#sport=NFL&photo=8358350

I have to wonder what inspired them to leave us out of this. I personally think we are the best fans in the NFL. Some of these I understand, others, wtf!? Chiefs, Broncos, and Bills all made the top 10? Not to mention those filthy Philly fans coming in at #1, and the stupid Cowgirl bandwagoneers made it too. Why don't we get any mention? Especially after the outpouring of support after the Sean Taylor tragedy last year and the AWESOME fans who came out to Canton a few weeks ago. Again, a big WTF to this article thing.

I think all this "no respect" and hate for the Redskins stems from the city they represent, "Washington, D.C.". It's the nations capitol, the most powerful nation in the world and most people think of politics when they think of D.C. and most people hate politics. JMHO

You are exaggerating greatly. In my 9 years as a season ticket holder, I have NEVER witnessed a "sea of green". Yes, there are more Philly fans than I, or others here, would like to see in our home field. But then we have 90,000 plus seats. At most, we have had a few thousand Eagle fans at the games...and many have been rude and insulting people (note I will not call these idiots "fans") The worst appearance of green has been at the end of a couple games where Philly fans congregated in mass behind the visitor's bench

Now in your defense....I think the mod is being a little hard on you. I read nothing in your posts that remotely comes across as trolling. You are entitled to you opinion. It just happens to be very wrong. :D

Lot of Skins fans posts that are far worse than your two. On the other hand, you haven't been on your best behavior in the past........

And besides.....how many Lombardi's does Philly have????? :eaglesuck

From this posters link:

9. Washington Redskins- The constant sellouts here pretty much made them a shoe in for the top ten. Redskins fans may not be as loud as some, but they are very supportive of their team.

This is the thing that hurts us the most in some of these lists, IMO. In order to make an accurate assessment, you probably need guys to take a survey where they go to see games in which they have no rooting interest and evaluate which fans get the loudest on a consistent basis, regardless of record. Heck, it may even be impossible to do. I know we haven't had the best stretch over the past 10-15 years, but I think the Skins fans that go to the games could've done a better job. Sure, there have been games where the fans have shown, like the Detroit playoff game, the MNF Skins-Cowboys in '04, and the two games at the end of '05. However, there have been others, like the '06 opener and last year's game against the Eagles, where I think the crowd's performance has been somewhat disappointing.

Eagles fans take over your stadium every single year as 1000s of your tickets wind up on stubhub, ebay, and the like.

How can you deny the obvious?

Lincoln Financial Field becomes a sea of burgundy every time the Skins play in Philly. There I've said it. It is now fact.

Here are some actual facts.

Philadelphia - 1.517 million

Philadelphia metropolitan area population - 6.38 million

Washington - 588K

Washington metropolitan area population - 5.3 million

Lincoln Financial Field (Brand Spankin' New) - 67,594 capacity

FedEx Field - 91,704 capacity

Philadelphia consecutive sellouts - 71 (Wow, that's nearly 9 seasons!!!)

Washington consecutive sellouts - 323 (every game since opening day 1965)

Just wondering.....if the Philly fans are so friggin great why did they build a brand new teeny-tiny stadium?

All of the articles that I have read blame the Bills for almost half of all of the blackouts throughout a season of football. (3 out of 8 Bills home games were blacked out in 2007).

If they have such a badass fan base, why don't they go to the games?

Wanna deal in facts? The only modern football championship in Philly resides INSIDE with Bon Jovi! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lincoln Financial Field (Brand Spankin' New) - 67,594 capacity

FedEx Field - 91,704 capacity

Philadelphia consecutive sellouts - 71 (Wow, that's nearly 9 seasons!!!)

Washington consecutive sellouts - 323 (every game since opening day 1965)

Just wondering.....if the Philly fans are so friggin great why did they build a brand new teeny-tiny stadium?

Ouvan, to be fair, the Linc's capacity and design is more in line with most of the newer stadiums. FedEx seems to have a lot more premium (club/loge/suite) seats than the Linc. If you take away the roughly 8,000 additional seats (some OV) that Dan put in within the past few years, I think the non-premium seating numbers would be similar betwen both stadiums.

Again, I don't even think I can make an impartial assessment because there is the natural feeling of being an outsider when you're going to enemy territory like Philly. And I certainly don't condone the antics some of their fanbase chooses to engage in. But there are aspects in which I wish the FedEx faithful could be more like the Linc faithful.....namely, in sporting the colors (everyone except the opposition is wearing midnight green) and actually getting to your seats by kickoff (the amount of empty red seats seen in the upper deck at FedEx at 1 pm is embarrassing).

I'll say this: I'm sitting here in KC and their fans are great - well, as long as they're winning. You can say this for most fans, but I watched Arrowhead go sadly empty last year when they were losing. They support the Chiefs, but its almost like they're brainwashed. What else is there to do here. I'm not knocking the city, but its the Chiefs or bust on most Sunday's. Its not like fans are going to run out to the beach or something.

I drive by a billboard everyday advertising Chief season tickets for sale. Just my observation.

10 - Dallas (25th attendance - 63,534 96.5% capacity)

9 - Chicago (28th - 62,158 92.9%)

8 - Buffalo (9th - 71,054 88.8% nfl low)

7 - Denver (5th - 76,611 100.6%)

6 - Pittsburgh (29th - 62,084 95.5%)

5 - Green Bay (11th - 70,805 116.5% nfl best)

4 - Cleveland (7th - 73,000 101.4%)

3 - Oakland (31st - 59,109 93.8%)

2 - Kansas City (4th - 76,777 96.6%)

1 - Philadelphia (18th - 68,169 103.3)

Unranked - Washington (1st - 88,090 110.0%)

So 40% of this guys list are in the bottom 10 in overall attendance and 50% are in the bottom 10 in percentage of capacity. :doh:

I don't know how you can include Oakland/LA/Oakland? They have their core "Black Hole" fans, but the home viewing area misses every game. My wife's best friend lives in the Raiders viewing area out near Sacramento, and her family has to drive over an hour to get to a sports bar to watch the home games - when they decide to do so. They miss most games! How do you consider that a top 10 franchise?

Archived