Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush: America Doesn't Have Any Problems

mjah

I didn't realize just how perfect our country is!

Sad that it takes Bob Costas, of all people, to press Bush on actual issues, but Costas used to have an interview show of his own. It's clear that he was respectful about it and Bush was respectful in return. Seemed to catch Bush off guard though.

Saw this on NBC:

COSTAS: This past week, you restated America's fundamental differences with China. But given China's growing strength, and America's own problems, realistically how much leverage and influence does the US have here?

BUSH: First of all, I don't see America having problems. I see American as a nation that is a world leader that has got great values. And leverage is, uh... I don't think you should look at the relationship as one of leverage. I think you ought to look at the relationship as one of constructive engagement where you can find common areas, like North Korea and Iran, but also be in a position where they respect you enough to listen to your views on religious freedom and political liberty.

That's pretty funny. Although I believe Bush on that first part. I do believe that he truly is blind to the problems America has -- some of which he has caused.

I'm wondering which "views on religious freedom and political liberty" he's talking about, though. The set that's laid out in the Constitution, or the set that's used in the Bush White House?

I doubt China will respect either set, as long as there are two of them.

If I were, say, a Republican candidate for President, I certainly would make a point of telling a worried, economy-conscious, war-weary Middle America that I disagree with Bush's "See No Evil" point of view.

What will it mean if McCain says nothing?

Maybe Bob Costas should host one of the debates. He sure seems a hell of a lot better at it than Stephanopoulos and company.

I didn't realize just how perfect our country is!

Sad that it takes Bob Costas, of all people, to press Bush on actual issues, but Costas used to have an interview show of his own. It's clear that he was respectful about it and Bush was respectful in return. Seemed to catch Bush off guard though.

Saw this on NBC:

COSTAS: This past week, you restated America's fundamental differences with China. But given China's growing strength, and America's own problems, realistically how much leverage and influence does the US have here?

BUSH: First of all, I don't see America having problems. I see American as a nation that is a world leader that has got great values. And leverage is, uh... I don't think you should look at the relationship as one of leverage. I think you ought to look at the relationship as one of constructive engagement where you can find common areas, like North Korea and Iran, but also be in a position where they respect you enough to listen to your views on religious freedom and political liberty.

That's pretty funny. Although I believe Bush on that first part. I do believe that he truly is blind to the problems America has -- some of which he has caused.

I'm wondering which "views on religious freedom and political liberty" he's talking about, though. The set that's laid out in the Constitution, or the set that's used in the Bush White House?

I doubt China will respect either set, as long as there are two of them.

If I were, say, a Republican candidate for President, I certainly would make a point of telling a worried, economy-conscious, war-weary Middle America that I disagree with Bush's "See No Evil" point of view.

What will it mean if McCain says nothing?

Maybe Bob Costas should host one of the debates. He sure seems a hell of a lot better at it than Stephanopoulos and company.

:doh: First, I saw the interview as again, someone making an example out of america by making China look like some growing country who is going to be glowing shinning star.

My take, is this. Problems as I took it, meant lack of freedoms and rights. Which China doesn't allow it's people and America does.

Personally, this whole respect thing is a joke. I don't want any nation in this world to respect us. Why would we want some terrorist nation to respect us??

Should we covet Osama's respect?? Iran's respect??

That is why I have so many problems with the democrats. They feel that we need to have foriegn policy where we work to gain the worlds respect. That is just foolish and ignorant.

You took that statement totally out of context in your effort to express your dislike for our president. I think it's quite evident that Bush was talking about freedom of religion/religious rights when talking about America's "problems" in relation to China's issues. But whatever, carry on...

I'm sure Bob is going to follow this up with an interview with the CHICOM president where he asks about religious freedoms, global warming and EPA controls in China.

The CHICOM president will say they have no problems there either, I'm sure

Oh wait, the CHICOMS don't give interviews. But even if they did, you probably couldn't see them from three feet away for the SMOG generated by their factories and cars that have NO enviromental standards applied to them whatsoever

Saw this on NBC:

COSTAS: But given China's growing strength, and America's own problems, realistically how much leverage and influence does the US have here?

Isn't China's growing strength talking about its growing economic power and industrial muscle? Isn't the question really, given China's growing economic prowess and our own economic difficulties and the vast U.S. debt China owns, won't it be difficult pressure China to behave better?

And Bush flubbed the response. I think if the first sentence wasn't there he could get away with it, but that sentence... read and not heard... is a real clunker. And he doesn't think the diplomacy requires leverage? Who's he kidding?

BUSH: First of all, I don't see America having problems. I see American as a nation that is a world leader that has got great values. And leverage is, uh... I don't think you should look at the relationship as one of leverage. .[/b]

[/color]

Isn't China's growing strength talking about its growing economic power and industrial muscle? Isn't the question really, given China's growing economic prowess and our own economic difficulties and the vast U.S. debt China owns, won't it be difficult pressure China to behave better?

And Bush flubbed the response. I think if the first sentence wasn't there he could get away with it, but that sentence... read and not heard... is a real clunker. And he doesn't think the diplomacy requires leverage? Who's he kidding?

Maybe he flubbed the response, in as much as he didn't explain himself well, but as someone pointed out above, taken in context with the rest of what he is saying, I don't see a huge problem. To say this means he is completely out of touch with Americans and has no idea about the problems we face is silly.

Understand, please that may be true. But I do not draw that conclusion from this response.

This seems to be just one more way for Bush haters to pile it on. You can find anything, if you look for it hard enough.

I don't entirely disagree, if you take out the first sentence, it's really not a horrible answer. Although, the of leverage comment is a bit Pollyannaish coming from the President of the United States. Almost all negotiations are about leverage. Few governments change just to be nice and because it would make us feel better about them.

I don't entirely disagree, if you take out the first sentence, it's really not a horrible answer. Although, the of leverage comment is a bit Pollyannaish coming from the President of the United States. Almost all negotiations are about leverage. Few governments change just to be nice and because it would make us feel better about them.

See I think it would be in bad form for him to directly reference or brag about leverage we have while he is visiting their country. As you said, most people understand diplomacy is about leverage, so why answer back with a heavy-handed answer regarding leverage while he is a guest in their country. At that point, wouldn't it BAD diplomacy?

Could be and that's a fair explanation. Maybe it was really simply bad word choice, although Bush has never been known for that. He's a master tactician of the language.

On the other hand, he certainly left his party open to attacks by the political opposition that they are the party of Marie Antoinette, "They have no bread. Let them eat cake." Bunch of rich elitists who think that America is without economic problems right now! :mad: :tantrum: This could be used by the Dems who say that McCain is copying the Bush economic program and Bush believes we have no problems today.

It would look really bad to go "Oh yeah, we have a ton of leverage, we're gonna make them our *****." or vice versa. You want to say something that makes it look like you have a good relationship and actually respect them and want to work with them on the things you disagree on, not like you want to try and throw your weight around and force them to do what you want.

Its this whole board. I honestly think they're should be like a 72 hour ban on political discussion. Just so people could realize how overwhelming it is here. Its annoying.

Quite a few of the regulars have disappeared.

The idiots on both side are curing me of my tailgate addiction. :)

I think the other problem is that the comments and responses have gotten so hyperbolic that people like me try to volley in kind sometimes. It's the competitor in me. I prefer to be reasoned, but when you get barraged by a constant flow of silly garbage, it's hard to not spew back a bit or at least exaggerate yourself.

I do want to say to the defenders here. There's an unfortunate echo of the "You can't disagree with a wartime President" here and "Any criticism of America is treason" that was so in vogue five years ago. I may be reading into it, but I don't think you have to pretend everything is absolute perfection to make the case that America is strong.

The man is in denial, sad for our country. Some people just can't cut it at the top levels. Bush was governor of texas (did good there) made the jump to DC and failed miserably

Shuler great QB at Tennessee, great NCAA QB made the jump to NFL and failed miserably

Oh wait, the CHICOMS don't give interviews. But even if they did, you probably couldn't see them from three feet away for the SMOG generated by their factories and cars that have NO enviromental standards applied to them whatsoever

Is Sarge going green?:cheers:

Could he be taken out of context? Possibly...This man's approval ratings are so low that anything he says is going to be magnified and seen as a negative.

However this is the same President who didn't know that some people were paying over $4.00 a gallon for gas.

Bottom line...we are going to see what we want to see...those who want to bash are going to see this as another chance to bash him...then there are those who will defend the President.

My whole feeling...he's gone in less than 6 months...bashing is too easy to do now...I'm done with it.

Its this whole board. I honestly think they're should be like a 72 hour ban on political discussion. Just so people could realize how overwhelming it is here. Its annoying.

hypnotize4.gif

You must click on political threads......you must click on political threads.....you have no choice....you must click on political threads....

mjah, you've really fallen off the map with the quality of your posts. You've become a bitter, miserable creature so blinded and infuriated by your hatred of Bush.

That being said, you're taking this so far out of context to fit your hate-filled agenda, it's staggering. Granted, the Tailgate is full of tripe like this............

Did you watch the interview? If so, your cognitive ability is woefully inept. It's almost impossible to take Bush's quote out of context just from the transcript, yet you unashamedly do so anyway. It's sad, really.

I watched the interview, and it is clear to any half-wit that Bush is asserting America does not have any problems in exerting its influence or "leverage," as Costas put it, on the Chinese. As a matter of fact, Bush went on a three minute rant on the Sino/American relationship which does put his quote into context.

Enough with the hate, man. We know you loathe our CiC. We get it. But seriously, think logically. Your intellect is clouded by your disdain. Your insinuation that he truly thinks America, in general, has no problems, is not even anywhere near "context." Think, man.

Archived