Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Safety Justin Hamilton signed, again

SkinsHokieFan

Hopefully he can stick around this time. A good athlete, has good size and is a good guy. Would be awesome for the special teams as well

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Zorn's QB Plan; Strictly Unrestricted

After practice Jim Zorn talked a bit about his quarterback plan for Saturday and said that he might rotate Todd Collins and Colt Brennan after Jason Campbell gets his plays in. He said it would depend on the situation, but he'd like to get Brennan some two-minute work, since, he said, after a couple of games he won't have the opportunity to see Brennan play again for a year.

As for the Redskins' big preseason game Aug. 16 against the suddenly-Favred New York Jets, Zorn said he fully expects to see Brett Favre play a bit that night in East Rutherford.

The Skins have released FB Pete Schmitt, but it was at his request They signed safety Justin Hamilton. Schmitt was here for just two days of practices after being re-signed Monday.

Hamilton is a native of Clintwood, Va., (not sure exactly where that is, I must confess, but it must make him a local) [Editor's Note: if, by local, you mean Kentucky], and played four years at Va Tech. He was drafted in the seventh round by Cleveland in 2006 and was cut by the Browns last September, missing all of the 2007 season.

Interesting. Schmitt asked for his release, probably knew he wasn't going to make the team. Might end the seemingly revolving door his presence turned out to be.

But we replaced it with another revolving door in Hamilton. Hopefully he shows something. Lord knows that if he doesn't do it quick we'll hit the eject button.

That's interesting about Colt. It really does seem like he's locked up the #3 if Zorn is talking about not seeing him for a year. He's probably not ready for live bullets but film will be good for his development.

Sadly, Hamilton won't make the team. Just a body for right now. Didn't we have a guy back in the late 90's who asked for his release too. Hetherington or something. I sorta remember something about that. I think he was a RB, I remember George Michael making a big deal about it when I was younger.

I would love stick Hamilton on our practice squad. The guy is a great athlete and has a good body for safety. He played WR and RB at VT before ASKING to be moved to defense.

This is the kind of guy we need on our practice squad. He has nice physical tools, is intelligent but still has a lot to learn about playing defense and safety. (Only been playing D for a couple of years.) He could contribute on ST immediately, but as for cracking the two-deep, I wouldn't rush it this year.

From this article, seems Cleveland thought they could turn him into an OLB.

http://www.browns247.com/content/view/355/2/

"Hamilton, at 6-3 and 218 pounds, is an intriguing athlete rising on draft boards. He was recruited as a running back, was moved to receiver his sophomore year and then asked to switch to safety his senior year. That's why he began his final season under the radar on NFL draft boards.

In one season as starting free safety, Hamilton called the signals for the No. 4-ranked defense in the country and had three interceptions. Once considered a free-agent hopeful, Hamilton could climb into the fourth round.

Baltimore, Kansas City and St. Louis also are on to him. The Browns see Hamilton in a different light than the other teams. They project Hamilton packing on 25 pounds and developing into an outside linebacker. They are the only team so far to work him out at linebacker."

Apparently Kareem Moore is ready to go and will play . . . and according to the Coach Blache he has looked good in practice . . . so if he can play, I cannot see this being a permanent home for Hamilton . . . to echo what has been said earlier, just another safety back there for the preseason . . . and perhaps a practice squad guy if he can make it through the remaining 4 games.

Apparently Kareem Moore is ready to go and will play . . . and according to the Coach Blache he has looked good in practice . . . so if he can play, I cannot see this being a permanent home for Hamilton . . . to echo what has been said earlier, just another safety back there for the preseason . . . and perhaps a practice squad guy if he can make it through the remaining 4 games.

thats most likely the case with Hamilton

Archived