Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Favored Over Buff By 5 1/2, O/u 36

McD5

McD, it IS only Buffalo...

Hey....Buff isn't that bad. They looked good at times last season.

This is exactly the kind of marginal team that Gibbs would have had us biting our nails on until the last play of the game.

With Gibbs, this line would have been even, to Skins favored by 3.

While only preseason, it is a testament to what people saw on the field last week.

:applause:

i'm just surprised that people bet on preseason games. like, you're really gonna trust your cash with a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers?

I would put my money on the more inexperienced of the two teams. Remember the preseason games with Spurrier? Running the score up against the 49er's 4th string defense. The Redskins beating the Colts should not have surprised anyone. What do the Colts need to prove in a preseason game? Preseason games are a dress rehersal. The only competition is the players who are competing for a spot on the team. The final score is meaningless and in no way should be used to predict what might happen in the regular season.

If Zorn was smart he would have the team run plays that he knows will fail. Have the team run plays they are having difficulties with in practice. Have the QBs throw passes they are most uncomfortable with.

I am going to give my buddy Zorn the benefit of the doubt.

I'm taking Buffalo +5.5 and over 36.

Joe Gibbs was teriible in preseason games.

If Zorn was smart he would have the team run plays that he knows will fail. Have the team run plays they are having difficulties with in practice. Have the QBs throw passes they are most uncomfortable with.

I am going to give my buddy Zorn the benefit of the doubt.

Why, so the entire offense has no confidence? So they have no practice of doing plays that they "feel" that can execute in a regular game? The key is to mix both up, without diving to far into the playbook like Spurrier did in his first preseason.

I have a simple philosophy about betting on the preseason. Just compare the Qbs of each team make sure you know the QB order. The bills have 2 QBs that are fighting to be starters. Campbell will only play a bit and Todd will play a lot and he usually struggles in the preseason. Zorn said he'll play that 4th string QB of his more and have Colt do garbage time. Unless Colt puts up 2 TDs again I'd go with the Bills in this one because they have a QB competition going and the bills will play both of them for most of the game. Smart Bet Bills covering the 5.5

My thoughts also is how can they adequately assess a preseason game with so many unknowns playing? How do you handicap a game with Derek Devine at QB?

You just look at historical betting trends for the pre-season and quickly move the line if things don't work right.

A line is not a measure of who is better or worse. A line is a measure of the public's perception of who is better or worse. On pre-season games, all you really have to go on is who typically likes "The Redskins" in the pre-season versus who like "The Bills." Home field advantage, injuries, weather, etc don't really matter.

When I bet, I always try to be mindful of the Cowboys tax, the Steelers tax, and the Giants tax. Those three teams probably have the biggest nationwide fanbases and also probably have the biggest degenerate gambler fanbases. So there is always a lot of action on their side, which means that the lines tend to get stretched a bit over what they should be.

Eagles fans may actually bet against their team. I tend to avoid the Eagles.

For whatever reason, I never get the sense that the Redskins line gets altered like that.

In all honesty, I hate betting on pro football. The league is designed for every game to end up 27-24. It really feels like you are betting on a coin flip most of the time.

I love betting on college ball though. Some left guard finds his girlfriend banging a cornerback, and a 10 point favorite loses outright. That's gambling.

The only thing that's good about the NFL is that it gives you a chance to make up your Saturday losses.

I don't think betting on the preseason is THAT big a deal...

You have to take into consideration different realities, of course. For example, the Colts usually lose most of their preseason games, even with Manning starting. Over the last three seasons, they have gone 2-11 in the preseason under Dungy.

I'd also assume that many first time head coaches win their first preseason game, or at the very least make it very close (a quick check shows that Lovie Smith did, Sean Payton did, obviously Spurrier did lol...Andy Reid didn't, but they only lost by 3 pts). So when the Colts end up playing the Skins and their first time head coach in the first preseason game, picking the Skins wouldn't seem too much like a coin toss. The point spread may be a little dicier, but then again I always think the point spread is dicey to determine.

I just think if you're gonna bet the preseason, you need to research a different set of criteria than what you'd normally base your bets on.

Considering you get 3 points for home field, we're not favored by all that much. Buffalo is a middle of the road team at best, so I don't think you can say we're getting that much respect favored by less than a touchdown at home.

Exactly, you get 3 points no matter what as the team at home.

So basically we're favored to win by a safety plus a half point.

If the Redskins were playing at Buffalo, the Bills would be the favorites by .5 points, or probably just a pick 'em.

How do you know they weren't ?????

Archived