Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Who's in your five? Most intriguing coaches

bubba9497

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/07/whos-in-your-15.html

Click link for entire article

Who's in your five? Most intriguing coaches

We have already picked our most intriguing quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers to watch for this upcoming NFL season. Click here, here and here for those lists.

Five intriguing coaches to watch for the upcoming NFL season.

1. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay: How would you like to be this guy? He has spent the last month talking about a quarterback that will never play for him again. And he has put his trust and possibly his career with the team with a guy who McCarthy thinks is the future of the franchise but has never been in charge. And if it is possible to forget about Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers then he can think about his top running back Ryan Grant sitting out in a contract dispute.

2. Tony Sparano, Miami: This guy made even have it harder than McCarthy. He is coaching a team that everyone thinks Bill Parcells is running. Perhaps these two will have a perfect marriage but it will be interesting to see what happens if they disagree on anything. All of this would be fine except that Sparano is taking over the worst team in the NFL last season. The good news is that the Dolphins have only one direction left to go. The rest is bad news. (Photo by Pat Carter, AP)

3. Jim Zorn, Washington: Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Famer and a legend in Washington. But that really isn't a huge deal since Gibbs' magic wasn't as strong the second time around. But Zorn will be of great interest if only because he was hired as offensive coordinator and then out of the blue named coach. He had great zeal for the job and fans are enthused by his early performance. But he is a coaching unknown and that always makes for good theater.

4. Lane Kiffin, Oakland: It is unclear whether owner Al Davis fired him and Kiffin just refused to leave or Davis never really fired him. You have to root for a guy in this position. He is the youngest coach in the league and he had great cred coming from Southern Cal. But when you work for Davis you never know when your paycheck is the last one. He must get second year QB JaMarcus Russell to seize the position and become a star.

5. Wade Phillips, Dallas: It is tough to say that Phillips needs to win the Super Bowl or pack his bags but that may be true. This team was built by Bill Parcells and fans are expecting a lot. Phillips finished 13-3 last year. Now everyone wants a ring.

I think there's a lot more that's intriguing about Zorn besides the circumstances of his hiring. I like how he seems a lot younger at heart than most HC's (though depending on how things go, that may change quick).

No doubt that Coach Zorn's hiring as head coach has been an intriguing story to date. No reason to believe it won't continue to be through the upcoming season. And for more reasons than what the author stated.

he's missing the point in any case. if you listen to Zorn on Training Camp Daily, etc., the guy is thoughtful and well organized...especially given that he was a late promotion to HC. The guy is 55 for crying out loud...he's been around and been exposed to the details for a long time. he's also worked for one of the best who is himself descended from the Walsh tree.

I have no idea and won't until there is a season or two of gameplans and game calls under the belt......but for the moment...Zorn is running a good camp and appears to be making all the right decisions.

Quick question, with all the uncertainty of the Cowboys coaching situation (basically having Wade Phillips as a lame duck coach), how will that effect the 22 (or so)-pro bowl players on their roster? Will players still listen to him when he scorns them or will they just ignore him and do what they want? This could make for an interesting season.

Having your team lumped in with Miami and Oakland does not mean he's necessarily jumping on any bandwagon...

This is a thread about coaches, not the entire team.

When we first chose Zorn as our coach, we were laughed at by the NFL and mocked by the media.

Now we are starting to see articles like this, and hence my post.

Quick question, with all the uncertainty of the Cowboys coaching situation (basically having Wade Phillips as a lame duck coach), how will that effect the 22 (or so)-pro bowl players on their roster? Will players still listen to him when he scorns them or will they just ignore him and do what they want? This could make for an interesting season.

don't know...all we can do is hope the Skins accelerate his departure through home & away Ws!!

When we first chose Zorn as our coach, we were laughed at by the NFL and mocked by the media.

I don't think the selection was laughed at so much as the selection process.

This article says nothing about him being a good coach. The meaning of 'intriguing' is a far cry from the meaning of 'good'. Just saying I don't think it's a 'this will be a great team' type article. That's all.

This article says nothing about him being a good coach. The meaning of 'intriguing' is a far cry from the meaning of 'good'. Just saying I don't think it's a 'this will be a great team' type article. That's all.

Gotcha.

:cheers:

I don't think the selection was laughed at so much as the selection process.

True. But I still think the laughter has been somewhat quieted with all the good reports coming out of camp.

Gotcha.

:cheers:

True. But I still think the laughter has been somewhat quieted with all the good reports coming out of camp.

agree. the guy grows on you. he just seems to have "it". I hope he can get his offense in gear soon enough to solidify his long-term position.

agree. the guy grows on you. he just seems to have "it". I hope he can get his offense in gear soon enough to solidify his long-term position.

Hell yea he grows on you. I was watching Redskins Nation today and they were showing his presser from after today's morning practice, and in it he cracked a couple of jokes. They weren't hysterical, but they still had me giggling like a little school girl.

And he rocks the **** outta the flat top by the way.

So the cowteets were built by parcells and everyone seems to agree to that point

but if someone says that Gibbs built the current Redskins people say, No GW selected the defensive players, etc...

Interesting.

Anyhow, I agree Zorn is going to be an interesting person to watch. Tough for other teams to game plan for him. This could work very well in the skins favor

This is Cerrato's first hire as the GM (de facto.) For all the grief Cerrato takes for being best friends with an implusive owner, he strangely has a lot of football credibility mostly from his great draft picks and great free agent value pickups like Marcus Washington, but also for his stint as a talking head during Martyball. Vinny may have made the right choice here given early returns on Zorn. I wanted Williams badly, but perhaps Zorn will fix the biggest problem which is the offense. He certainly can do better than we've done the last six years. Seattle has been a great team for a long time and he coached up one heck of a QB there. He certainly is intriguing.

Tubby doesn't scorn them. He stands there and says nothing and either claps in excitement or rolls his eyes and frowns and boings back and forth. Then Jerry Jones gives him a juice box.

Archived