Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The War Against Beer Pong

RedlightG20

yeah, they had it right. their graduates are very well adjusted, normal functioning, positive contributors to society.

No. Their students and graduates are motivated, dedicated, and focused people who know what they want and aren't generally interested in the other crap, like Beer Pong, that most college students waste their time on.

Gee, did I mention the attendance policy as well? 3 absences in a 40+/- class (11 week) trimester and you lost all credit for the class.

Umm, anyone who plays beer pong, why would you play a video game version of it?

Anyway, people complaining about this=:blahblah:

why would people play a video game version of bowling?

or basketball?

or tennis?

you'd play because of the novelty, no clean up, etc. it'd probably get old after a bit.

No. Their students and graduates are motivated, dedicated, and focused people who know what they want and aren't generally interested in the other crap, like Beer Pong, that most college students waste their time on.

Gee, did I mention the attendance policy as well? 3 absences in a 40+/- class (11 week) trimester and you lost all credit for the class.

j & w is not the only place that has motivated, dedicated and focused people who know what they want. every place has them.

there are wii's in frat houses, believe me. you don't need a beer pong game to play drinking games with the wii.

sure, the wii is marketed to families. but it does appeal to many people "who don't normally get into video games." i'd bet that game would have sold a lot of copies, and it wouldn't be grandma betty buying it. well, maybe.

I'm only a year removed from college, I'm well aware that plenty of college-age kids play Wii.

I'm just saying that the game doesn't jive with Nintendo's whole image. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm only a year removed from college, I'm well aware that plenty of college-age kids play Wii.

I'm just saying that the game doesn't jive with Nintendo's whole image. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/867/867498p1.html

i know what you're saying. they do try to appeal more to the family demographic. but they reach out in other ways too, and this could have been one of them. i'm disappointed they backed out. i don't think the other 2 companies would have.

j & w is not the only place that has motivated, dedicated and focused people who know what they want. every place has them.

True. However J&W is the only non-Ivy League college I've ever seen where if your aren't motivated, dedicated & focused your chances of actually graduating before you get thrown (or failed) out is pretty small.

WoW sounds like a suckey school for sure.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MSF, I'm sure you found a lot of fun things to do while there though. I don't see how those things are so much better than drinking a few beers and having a good time with friends.

WoW sounds like a suckey school for sure.

Actually for people like me who knew what we wanted to do; who were willing to put in the time and energy; and who didn't want the unnecessary distractions of parties, Greek society, sports, etc.... it's a very nice setting. They make it very clear in advance that it isn't a party school and that they expect you to focus on your studies and your work or you're not going to be there long.

why would people play a video game version of bowling?

or basketball?

or tennis?

you'd play because of the novelty, no clean up, etc. it'd probably get old after a bit.

One of the biggest reasons people play video games, at least for me is that I get to do something that I can't do in reality, whether playing football for WVU, the Redskins, or kill some aliens. There is that sense of placing yourself in a situation that is otherwise completely unrealistic. Playing actual beer pong, well you can do that any time, and it's sure as hell a lot more fun than playing a video game of it.

Perhaps, in retrospect, JV Games should have seen this coming. After all, drinking games and video games may be two of college-kids' favorite pasttimes, but they are also a source of constant complaints from their middle-aged parents. So when the software maker tried to combine the two adolescent activities, many critics felt it had gone too far.

Man am I glad I'm not a middle-aged parent. I'd hate to have to walk around all day with my panties in a bunch.

Why bother being parents, when you can ***** and complain until someone else does your parenting for you?

MSF, I'm sure you found a lot of fun things to do while there though. I don't see how those things are so much better than drinking a few beers and having a good time with friends.

Not really. I lived on campus both years and at the time Providence, RI was essentially the butt-end of New England. No mall. No movie theaters. Very little in the way of cultural or entertainment options. Unless you wanted to shoot pool or drink there was not much to do in town; and remember if you appeared intoxicated (not even necessarily drunk) you couldn't get back into the dorm. Oh, and the availability of parking for private automobiles.... very limited; and you had to prove NEED, not just want, to get a parking pass.

Not really. I lived on campus both years and at the time Providence, RI was essentially the butt-end of New England. No mall. No movie theaters. Very little in the way of cultural or entertainment options. Unless you wanted to shoot pool or drink there was not much to do in town; and remember if you appeared intoxicated (not even necessarily drunk) you couldn't get back into the dorm. Oh, and the availability of parking for private automobiles.... very limited; and you had to prove NEED, not just want, to get a parking pass.

I flew into Providence a little over a month ago - that place must have changed drastically since you lived there.

Also, do you know if the Pan-Mass Challenge bike ride for cancer comes through your area? If so, I can inform my girlfriend that she is riding by a celebrities house. :laugh:

College isn't for academics only, its a large part of the social experience.

Actually I'm of the opinion that college is a career advancement tool and nothing else. It should be about getting the education to put you in place to get a good job to start your career. Nothing else.

I flew into Providence a little over a month ago - that place must have changed drastically since you lived there.

Yes, it has changed DRAMATICALLY in the last decade. It's a totally different city now. You wouldn't even recognize where I went to college as being in the same country as what you visited.

Also, do you know if the Pan-Mass Challenge bike ride for cancer comes through your area? If so, I can inform my girlfriend that she is riding by a celebrities house. :laugh:

One of the Pan-Mass Challenge routes starts in Sturbridge, which is a little south and west of Spencer, but it doesn't go through Spencer. If that's the route she's taking she'll be within about 10-12 miles of my place but not really anywhere near me.

One of the Pan-Mass Challenge routes starts in Sturbridge, which is a little south and west of Spencer, but it doesn't go through Spencer. If that's the route she's taking she'll be within about 10-12 miles of my place but not really anywhere near me.

Well I guess I can inform her that she shouldn't have to worry about any locals shooting at her while on her ride. :D

Ding ding ding.

Its not just school, its four years of your life.

Yes, but remember that what I expect out of my life is very different than what you probably expect out of life.

Two years in MSF's case apparently - which I'm confused about receiving a Bachelor's degree in that amount of time but I'm sure there is a good explaination.

Associate of Science in Computer Aided Design & Drafting. At the time it was the only AS program in CADD on the Eastern side of the Rockies and there was no BS degree in it ANYWHERE.

Well I guess I can inform her that she shouldn't have to worry about any locals shooting at her while on her ride. :D

That depends. If she accidentally puts a wheel on the lawn of some of the Cape Codders she might still get shot. Or at least beaten to death with their copy of the Boston Globe.

That depends. If she accidentally puts a wheel on the lawn of some of the Cape Codders she might still get shot. Or at least beaten to death with their copy of the Boston Globe.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You always say you don't have a sense of humor and then prove yourself wrong.

Also, I wasn't making an insult about your degree I just wasn't sure what the deal was with the two years. Sounds like you must have made some good money out of school.

True. However J&W is the only non-Ivy League college I've ever seen where if your aren't motivated, dedicated & focused your chances of actually graduating before you get thrown (or failed) out is pretty small.

I agree with you on certain things, but this is maybe the most ignorant statement I've ever seen. In fact, a lot of Ivy's aren't that difficult once you get in because they want to have high retention and graduation rates to keep their reputations high. Maybe the most ridiculous statement I've heard from anyone in a long ass time.

Archived