Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The War Against Beer Pong

RedlightG20

The War Against Beer Pong

beer_pong_0724.jpg

Guests play beer pong at the Raleigh Hotel in Miami, Florida.

Perhaps, in retrospect, JV Games should have seen this coming. After all, drinking games and video games may be two of college-kids' favorite pasttimes, but they are also a source of constant complaints from their middle-aged parents. So when the software maker tried to combine the two adolescent activities, many critics felt it had gone too far.

capt.e4e6a65f8ae64a388bab2a75bd90fd79.beer_pong_hf102.jpg

Beer Pong is a virtual rendition of the popular college drinking game that requires players to toss Ping-Pong balls across a table and into a cup of beer (if your cup is hit, you drink). The game was designed for the popular Nintendo Wii platform, and its maker had planned to release it as the first game in its new Frat Party Games series. But concerned parents began sending angry letters to JV Games and Nintendo — Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal even got in on the action, sending his own missives to the companies — until JV Games agreed to change the title of the game to Pong Toss and fill its pixelated cups with water.

"We never anticipated such a severe reaction to the word 'beer,'" says Jag Jaegar, co-owner of JV Games, which released Pong Toss on July 28 with a kid-friendly rating of "T" for teen.

The controversy isn't entirely surprising. The point of beer pong is to get your friends drunk — and parents and university administrators generally frown on that sort of thing. Last fall, Georgetown University banned beer-pong, specially made beer-pong tables, inordinate numbers of Ping-Pong balls and any other alcohol-related paraphernalia in its on-campus dorms — even in the rooms of students of legal drinking age. The University of Pennsylvania, Yale University, University of Massachusetts at Amherst and Tufts University have also banned drinking games. "We're pleased that Tufts has put this in writing," says Michelle Bowdler, a health administrator at Tufts. "Although we understand that 21 is the legal drinking age, we don't want our students participating in activities that could do excessive harm to themselves or others."

Read the full article here

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1828085,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-nation

The anti-pong activism strikes JV Games' Jaegar as somewhat fruitless. As long as students "have access to alcohol, they will create drinking games out of any activity,"

:whoknows:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188621&highlight=drinking

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195825&highlight=drinking

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150422&highlight=drinking

Last fall, Georgetown University banned beer-pong, specially made beer-pong tables, inordinate numbers of Ping-Pong balls and any other alcohol-related paraphernalia in its on-campus dorms — even in the rooms of students of legal drinking age.

I love how Ping-Pong balls are now alcohol paraphernalia. :laugh:

"I'm sorry son, we have to take the paddles too. God knows what you're doing with them after a night of too much PBR."

Well, there was another option for the college administrators....

Take the Johnson & Wales University platform.... IMMEDIATE EXPULSION.... for anyone found with alcohol (or related paraphenalia) on school property, but especially in the dorms. Even if you were over 21.

To be fair, the Wii isn't the XBox. The system in general is being marketed to families, kids, and people who don't normally get into video games, not frat boys.

Considering the direction Nintendo has taken in recent years in terms of age group marketing, I can't say that I'm surprised at the reaction. I would certainly have done a double-take if I'd seen a Wii game called Beer Pong.

Granted, I'd be laughing my ass off, not complaining, but still.

To be fair, the Wii isn't the XBox. The system in general is being marketed to families, kids, and people who don't normally get into video games, not frat boys.

Considering the direction Nintendo has taken in recent years in terms of age group marketing, I can't say that I'm surprised at the reaction. I would certainly have done a double-take if I'd seen a Wii game called Beer Pong.

Good point, but where are the parents?

If I have kids and they're too young for such a game I don't let them buy it.

If they do, I take it away. Don't stop them from making the game, don't go to the store and pick up a damn copy if you don't like it.

It comes down to parenting, and good parenting is sorely lacking in today's society.

there are wii's in frat houses, believe me. you don't need a beer pong game to play drinking games with the wii.

sure, the wii is marketed to families. but it does appeal to many people "who don't normally get into video games." i'd bet that game would have sold a lot of copies, and it wouldn't be grandma betty buying it. well, maybe.

According to the article, they're complaining about the game.

Exactly, complaining about a game that should be available for those who would like to have it.

Its just like the violent video game argument. If you don't want your kid to have it, don't let them get it. I want to play GTA, don't try and stop them from making it, I'm mature enough to play it and not think that I should go out and emulate what the guy on the screen does...if your kid isn't then take the Xbox away.

Well, there was another option for the college administrators....

Take the Johnson & Wales University platform.... IMMEDIATE EXPULSION.... for anyone found with alcohol (or related paraphenalia) on school property, but especially in the dorms. Even if you were over 21.

yeah, they had it right. their graduates are very well adjusted, normal functioning, positive contributors to society.

Thats why nobody's ever heard of Johnson & Wales.

What is their mascot? The Fightin' Quakers?

I'm not even sure that HAVE sports anymore. At the time I was there ('92-'94) we were the Gryphons, and had a very limited number of Div. III sports only. I remember getting a letter a couple of years later from the Alumni Association that they'd changed it, but I can't remember to what. The website doesn't even discuss sports anymore.

JWU has an unusual academic concept. You only go there if you already know what you want to do. There is no general studies or liberal arts curriculum. You announce your major when you apply. Almost all of your classes are directed towards that major. When they DID have sports, the student-athletes were not given time off for games or practices.

They also have no Greek society on campus.

Archived