Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would you grade our position groups??

adamyesme1111

Ok...We all have a pretty good idea on who is going to be starting and on our team this year for the most part...I am going to go through and give my grade on each position group...

The grade should be mostly based on the talent and potential of the starters, but depth should also influence the grade.

Quarterbacks: Jason Campbell has shown flashes of brilliance, but that is about all he has shown. He hasn't been able to do anything consistent yet, so far he is just a barely above average starting quarterback. Todd Collins is an above average backup. Colt Brennan is a bright young star (hopefully) as our third quarterback.

Grade:C+

Runningbacks: Portis is a top 10 if not top 5 runningback in the NFL. I also think that Portis and Betts are still one of the top runningback tandems in the NFL and I think Cartwright could run very well if he got the chance.

Grade:B+

Wide Recievers:Santana Moss is one of the best deep threats in the game...he has blazing speed, can jump REALLY high, and adjusts to the ball great. Randel El is a big play threat with his YAC ability, anytime he gets the ball he is a threat to keep running with all those dance moves he has. Kelley and Thomas are both young Promising rookies who could make an impact this season right away. Thrash is a good special teamer and knows the west coast. He also Performs well when he is called upon.

Grade:B-

Tight Ends:Chris Cooley is one of, if not THE best TE's in the NFL. He catches everything that comes his way and is reliable in the clutch. He is an average blocker. Fred Davis is another great recieving young tight end who could make an amazing duo of TE's.

Grade:A

Offensive Line: When healthy you have some GOOD talent. Chris Samuels, Pete Kendall, Rabach, Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen. Now that looks GREAT on paper but Jon Jansen hasn't been playing the same lately...So just incase...We also have good depth with young stars like Heyer and Rinehart!...and some veteran o-lineman too.

Defensive Line: Oh, how fast can a weakness become a strength. I'll tell you: 6 hours...in 6 hours we gained one of the best pass rushing defensive ends and biggest playmakers in the NFL. Jason Taylor along side Andre Carter is going to be a quarterbacks nightmare. Griffin is still a force if he can stay healthy...Anthony Montgomery has been showing alot with his big run stopping skills. We also have Kedric Golston who is very good depth for DT.

Grade:B+ or A-

Linebackers:London Fletcher is just....London Fletcher, he can do it all...He is a smart football player and is always in the right place at the right time and can sure lay the wood for an old guy...Marcus Washington is losing some steam, but he still has alot left IMO. I think Marcus Washington is still a very good player at this point in his career. If Rocky is healthy then our starters look VERY promising, but we don't seem to have much depth outside of H.B. Blades (who looks very promising as well).

Grade:B

Secondary:Shawn Springs is a top 10 corner IMO. I really think he has the ability to play man against some of the top wide recievers in the NFL. Carlos Rogers also is a very good physical corner who was finally showing that he deserved a top 10 pick before he got injured. Fred Smoot is also a very good physical cornerback who can back up his talk.

Laron Landry strikes fear in anyone who goes over the middle...and is great in coverage....His angles of pursuit and decision making at times can leave alot to be desired, His athletic abilities sends his potential through the roof though. Reed Doughty is a solid starting SS IMO who will prove that he can start in this league. He might not be a big playmaker but he knows his assignment and he does his job. Stuart is a great 3rd safety and very good depth for the safeties.

Those are mine...What do you think?? and go ahead and do your own if you want! (You don't have to write out reasoning if you don't want to :laugh: )

Quarterbacks: While we havnt had a guy you could bet on (hopefully that changes this season), i believe we have 2 QBs that are capable of taking a team to the playoffs. The best part, our starter is continuing to grow as a player, he is in better shape than ever, and he has a coach to groom him into the star he will be.

Grade: B-

_____

Runningbacks: I dont care what anyone says, Portis IS a top 5 back. he will have the numbers to back that up this season. Betts may be good enough to start somewhere, but i believe he is good enough to take the second spot on anyones depth chart.... well, almost anyones

Grade: A

_____

Wide Recievers: Now here lies our problem. Moss has the potential to break any game open, however he has had 2 very lackluster years, AND watching him drop passes and fumble last year was heart-breaking. ARE was solid throughout last year, but i believe that we have seen his best (hopefully it carries over). Thrash has always been dependable, but not a threat to any defense. I believe any D.C. would be more than happy to take their chances letting james thrash try to beat them. Then we have 2 rookies with great upside, but you never know with rookie WRs (since the 90s we know that better than anyone other than detroit). The good news is, we all know what Moss is capable of, and believe he will return to that form. Hopefully ARE and Thrash's play from last season carries over. And HOPEFULLY these rookies can develop into playmakers when they are on the field.

Grade: C+

_____

Tight Ends: Cooley is ridiculous. He has been Mr. Dependable in washington, and i dont see that changing. Hopefully Davis can learn from Cooley and learn to excel at blocking.

Grade:A

_____

Offensive Line: Given we stay healthy, we are amazing. I love you Buges. I am not gonna factor injuries into this one, because i dont feel like having a headache.

Grade: A

_____

Defensive Line: Right now, we still have to see how our Carter/Taylor experiment works, but i am very hopeful. I see Chris Wilson flying under the radar when a starter goes out and making a serious impact. Hopefully out DTs can stuff up the middle.

Grade: A-

_____

Linebackers: Again, i will ignore injuries hear and JUST look at Rocky/Fletch/Marcus.... if rocky can return to last years form, i believe we can have an amazing front 7. hopefully Fletch and Marcus have not slowed down.

Grade: B+

_____

Secondary: Springs/Rogers/Smoot/Landry/Doughty.... GREAT secondary. depth is always important when talking about secondaries, and i believe it is an issue for us/

Grade: B+

wow.... i just looked at my average grade, and i'm probably being a bit of a homer.... but i dont care. i know what my team is capable of, time to get it done. Is it Sept 4th yet?????

Quarterbacks: B

I think the skins have the makings of something special at the qb position. They have the recipe for success in a young highly talented qb with a rocket arm and drive to succeed, with an experienced backup to give him some veteran experience.

Running backs: A+

Clinton Portis is a gamer, nuff said. If something happens, or he needs to be spelled there is a reliable backup in Betts that could start for at least 10 teams in the NFL right now. Rock is a good returner as well in case he is needed and Mason could make quite a few teams. Sellers is still a beast, though sometimes he has mistaken identity and thinks he's Portis when he tries to leap over piles :doh:

Receivers: B+

I think with this year's draft, the skins have everything they need at the receiver position. When healthy, Santana is a top 10 receiver in the NFL imo, and Cooley is a gamer and will do anything you ask. Though I think ARE will be phased out of the receiving corps, you have Kelly and Thomas who both could've been 1st round picks who have the skills to be a helluva tandem for the next 5-10 years.

Oline: B+

This line is top 5 when healthy. Depth has been added which is extremely valuable, especially with the age of the line. Heyor needs to take the next step to see if he can be a starter, and Rinehart has gotten rave reviews from Buges.

Dline: B+

JT adds a whole new dimension to this team, and moves them from a C to a B+ imo. If James can stay healthy, then you have solid depth on the ends, and Gholston provides great relief for Monty or Griff.

LineBacker: B

Fletcher is a beast and imo the most underrated player in the league. He is always making a play, and is a natural leader. He is getting up there in age, but it looks like he could mentor Blades. When healthy, Marcus is phenominal, but that's been a problem the last few years. If Rocky can get healthy in time for the season, he can take another step forward; though I don't think he'll be at the level he was at last year.

Defensive Back: B

With the untimely passing of ST, Landry is moved to FS (where he'll be much more utilized) but Doughty is mainly for run support. He can use some improvement on defending the pass. Smoot is a great nickelback, but Carlos injury is something to be concerned about because you don't know what level he'll be able to play at this year. Springs is getting up there, but seems more determined than ever to make an impact this year.

QB - C - Jason Campbell is a question mark.

RB - A- - Great FB plus great HB plus good backup HB.

WR - B - Moss and Randle El are underrated, plus Thomas/Kelly.

TE - B+ - Chris Cooley is great. Depth is good (maybe too good).

OL - B - Good, almost great, offensive line but poor depth.

DL - B - Great starting DL on paper, but no depth.

LB - C+ - Good starting LB core. Not great depth.

DB - B- - Some great starters, okay depth.

ST - B- - Not great, but sufficient.

QB - C+, above average with something to prove

RB - B+, outstanding, but not spectacular

WR - B-, short/fast veterans who are somewhat injury prone, tall/fast rookies with

great potential

OL - B, older and injury prone, emerging depth

DL - A-, could be stronger against run on the ends, but not much to criticize here

LB - B-, depth is a real issue here

DB - A-, if Rogers comes back strong, we should be great here.

ST - C+, solid, but nothing to brag about

I see some people grading the special teams average, but just think. Justin Tryon and Devin Thomas, can return kicks. Also, if Thomas and Kelly can come around rather quickly, it may be safe to put Randle El in on KR and PR situations. That seems like a good special teams to me.

QB and LB are the only real question marks for me. I would not give them any more then C+.

QB - new system, AGAIN! Campbell has to prove his worth. Collins may not be as ready without Saunders' system.

LB - Marcus and Rocky have to stay healthy. HB Blades shows signs, but has not proved anything outside of a good game and great preseason last year. I say we have to sign us a decent depth LB for me to really believe.

We are as good as every other team in the league at every position except QB. As long as you have a question mark on the QB position your team will be hit or miss. There is a huge amount of pressure on JC this year. If he performs just above averafe we are a playoff team. On the flip side if performs poorly we are last in the division and in for a long year.

I dont see how some of you are saying we have no depth at OL. If we had no depth we couldnt have made the playoffs last year since half our line was out for the year.

We have two backup tackles that could start and do well (Wade, Heyer).

We also have two serviceable guards (Reinhardt, Fabini)

Im pretty comfortable with the mix of youth and experience here...

OL - A if not A+

Pretty good rankins...

QB: C+ UNTILL CAMPBELL STEPS IT UP, HE IS AVERAGE

RB: A- PORTIS IS STILL A BEAST, AND BETTS COULD START ON MANY OTHER TEAMS

TE: A+ COOOOOOLEY, YODER IS SOLID, ADD IN SLEEPY

WR:B UNTILL THE ROOKIES STEP IT UP MOSS IS A THREAT, EL IS A GREAT SLOT GUY

OL: A- WHEN HEALTHY, ONE OF THE BEST LINES...WHEN HEALTHY

DL: B+ ADDING TAYLOR JUST MADE THE LINE THAT MUCH BETTER IMO

LB: B FLETCHER IS GREAT BUT OLD, MW AND ROCKY ARE GREAT...BUT INJURED

CB: B- SPRINGS IS OLD BUT SOLID, SMOOT IS A GREAT NUMBER 2, ROGERS IS GETTING THERE

S: A- BECAUSE LARON LANDRY IS JUST THAT GOOD

I agree with you guys for the most part but you fellas that are grading the O-line and LB corp B+ and A are a little optimistic. We have one healthy, if high mileage,every down 'backer: Fletcher. Marcus is a real question mark at this stage with his injury's and attendant loss of speed and lateral quickness. If we had young prospects to challenge him, I would think that he would at least be in for a serious contest in camp. Rocky is coming back from a SERIOUS injury and may not be ready to take every down pounding for some time (if ever). This is a serious issue and I feel like we really need to address it. Blades and Kary are nice backups but we need to pickup a Godfrey type, experienced starter at the least. We really should have dealt with this in the draft. As far as the O-line, ya'll are really drinking the Kool-Aid on this one. These guys are so old and injury prone that it scares me ****less. Do you really think that #60 and Kendall are going to start every game this year? How about JJ and Randy T? These guys are warriors and hard core ballers but Jayzus they're old and worn. What if Casey and Kendall both go down? Look at the Rams and Chiefs last year when their ancient lines imploded. OK rant...over.....breathing returning ...to normal....

Archived