Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports: Super Bowl foes top offseason Power Rankings (Merged, MET)

apeters

"Super Bowl foes top offseason Power Rankings"

By: Peter Schrager

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8366366/Super-Bowl-foes-top-offseason-Power-Rankings?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

After what seems to have been an eternal offseason packed with player movement, off-the-field legal issues, coaching hires and fires, and bizarre media circuses in both New England and Green Bay, it's finally time for some actual football. Yes, real, live football! Well, sorta. Camps open up around the league this week. Before we get down in the trenches, let's check out our first edition of the 2008 NFL Power Rankings.

1 — New England: The Patriots have no doubt had a tumultuous offseason. Aside from lingering Spygate fallout, there have been the Nick Kaczur, Kevin Faulk and Willie Andrews arrests and a host of key contributors from the '07 team lost to free agency. That said, the Pats bring all the majority of their big dogs back — most importantly Randy Moss — and will be playing with a vengeance in '08. On paper, they have the easiest schedule in the entire league this season. Vegas currently has the Pats listed with 15-1 odds to go undefeated in 2008. It's not a bad bet. New England could be as good as they were last season. This time, they're looking to end the year with a win. Camp: Foxboro, Mass.

2 — New York Giants: It looks as though everyone's crowning Dallas the preseason favorites in the NFC East. Nonsense. The Giants, despite losing Jeremy Shockey and Super Bowl stars Kawika Mitchell, Gibril Wilson and Michael Strahan this offseason, are primed to repeat not only as NFC champions, but Super Bowl kings. Lineman David Diehl told me a few weeks ago, "A lot of people had us picked last in 2007. Where they are picking us now is really nothing new to us. Nobody picked us in the playoffs or the Super Bowl. But we always had high expectation for ourselves. Everyone is committed and dedicated to putting in the hard work it takes to prove ourselves again." In short, this is an angry team, ready to show the world that last year was no fluke. You've got to beat the best to be the best. And until Dallas does that -- New York gets my nod as the NFC favorites. Camp: Albany, N.Y.

3 — San Diego: While discussing FOXSports.com's fantasy football last week, I chatted with LaDainian Tomlinson about the MCL injury that kept him out of the majority of last year's playoffs. He says he's healthy and ready to go. He better be. Backing up L.T. is no longer big-play threat Michael Turner, but rather, a hodgepodge of rookies (Jacob Hester) and unproven backs (Darren Sproles, Marcus Thomas). Lorenzo Neal's gone too, being replaced by fifth-year man Andrew Pinnock. A 100 percent L.T. or not, the Chargers are loaded across the board and start the season with games against five teams that finished under .500 last year. The AFC West isn't quite the division it used to be, either. Unless Denver puts it all together sooner than expected, San Diego should cruise into the playoffs as AFC West champions this season. Camp: San Diego, Calif.

4 — Indianapolis Colts: Peyton Manning's out for 4-6 weeks, Marvin Harrison's future is a bit murky and longtime guard Jake Scott is now with the enemy Tennessee Titans. Reason to worry? Nah. Indy's won five straight AFC South titles and they're going to be near impossible to beat at home in their new stadium. Despite injuries across the board, the defense still ranked tops in the league in '07. As long as Dungy's on that sideline and Manning's under center, the Colts aren't going anywhere but the postseason. Book them for their sixth straight AFC South title and at least one playoff game at Lucas Oil Stadium. Camp: Terre Haute, Ind.

5 — Dallas: For a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years, the media sure has a lot of confidence in the Cowboys this off-season. Everywhere you look, pundits are pegging Dallas as the NFC East favorites and the Super Bowl frontrunners out of the NFC. In truth, Jerry Jones did some nice things in the off-season, plucking both Zach Thomas and Adam Jones for 40 cents on the dollar, and re-signing Ken Hamlin to a long-term deal. Wade Phillips is Marty Schottenheimer Lite, though, having never won a playoff game, himself. Anything less than a conference title will be seen as a great disappointment in Big D this season. Is this squad up to the challenge? We'll have to wait and see. Camp: Oxnard, Calif.

6 — Jacksonville: If you listen to everyone else, this is the year Jacksonville's going to end Indianapolis' reign of terror over the AFC South and become the first division champions other than the Colts since 2002. After all, the Jags drafted two top flight pass rushers in Derrick Harvey and Quintin Groves, scooped up Troy Williamson and Jerry Porter via free agency, and bring back the majority of last year's wild-card squad. David Garrard's the quarterback, there are no questions there, and the Jags are certainly poised to return to the playoffs. Don't be shocked if they win 10-12 games in '08. But until they beat Indianapolis on the road, I'm not handing them the AFC South crown. Camp: Jacksonville, Fla.

7 — Seattle: Mike Holmgren's last season has a legitimate chance to end with glory. Of course, there are question marks all over. Are Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett going to serve as upgrades to Shaun Alexander at running back? Will losing D.J. Hackett hurt Matt Hasselbeck more than everyone's letting on? Are Patrick Kerney,32, and Julian Peterson, 30, going to be able to stay healthy and turn in the Pro Bowl caliber seasons they did last year all over again? What's up with Bobby Engram's contract and Deion Branch's health? Seattle should be able to defend their division crown in the soft NFC West, but there's not much room for error or injury. To contend for an NFC title, they'll need to be all systems go for 19 weeks. Camp: Kirkland, Wash.

8 — Cleveland: Everyone's going ga-ga over Cleveland this summer, and with good reason. The Browns, despite missing the postseason, were the surprise of the 2007 season, winning 10 games -- about six more than anyone expected. Over the off-season, they beefed up their defensive line with Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams, and scooped up a first-round talent at linebacker in UNLV's Beau Bell on the draft's second day. Donte Stallworth adds even more big-play ability on an already sizzling offense. The catch? That schedule. It's a nightmare. Anything less than a postseason berth will be a disappointment in Cleveland this season. Camp: Berea, Ohio.

9 — Pittsburgh: Big Ben got big money this off-season, but he also lost his steadiest protector, Alan Faneca. In a seven-week span starting in late October, Pittsburgh takes on the Super Bowl champion Giants, the NFC wild-card qualifying Redskins, the AFC South champion Colts, the AFC West champion Chargers, the rival Bengals, the AFC champion Patriots, and the NFC East champion Cowboys. All in a row. It's the toughest schedule in the league, and arguably the toughest I've ever seen. Pittsburgh's good, but I'm not sure they're good enough to survive that slate. They'll battle Cleveland for the AFC North title this season. It won't be easy. Camp: Latrobe, Pa.

10 — Washington: Everyone's talking about Philly, New York and Dallas in the NFC East, but it's Washington that returns 21 starters from last year's NFC wild-card team. Add in six-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor from Miami, free agent Erasmus James from Minnesota and gritty safety Stuart Schweigert — and a hit-or-miss defense from a year ago suddenly becomes one of the league's most dynamic. On offense, Jim Zorn brings a new offense and a new philosophy, and the bevy of new receiving options selected in April's draft give Jason Campbell some receivers above six feet to pass to. Want to talk sleeper NFC champion contenders? Look no further than the 202. Camp: Ashburn, Va.

11 — Philadelphia: Don't look now, but the Eagles — a squad that didn't make the playoffs last year — are legitimate Super Bowl contenders in '08. The addition of Asante Samuel gives Philadelphia a shut-down corner to put up against the Plaxico Burress' and Terrell Owens' of the world, while Donovan McNabb seems to be as healthy as he's been in years. Lightning rod receiver/return man DeSean Jackson should contribute right away as well. One potential issue? Unhappy cornerback Lito Sheppard, who just fired his old agents and replaced them with ... Drew Rosenhaus. Camp: Bethlehem, Pa.

Who wants to be the one to tell him that Redskins Park is actually in the 703?

He didn't say the 202 was where their camp was. He just lists where the camp is for every team after his comments. Some teams have gone cross country for camp. Like the Cowboys to California for a couple years.

I like what he said but mentioning the addition of Erasmus James not only was meaningless, but took something away from the credibility of the ranking system. I still agree that we are sleepers despite being a fan.

I disagree. James is pretty damn good... when he is healthy. I have read he might start on the PUP list, which may be a blessing in disguise. If he comes in rotationally at week 7, hes going to uplift that whole line. And with the later bye week, those few weeks in between he will keep guys healthy until they are able to take that week off.

Even if he doesn't dominate, his reps will increase the reps of the other guys, ya know?

I don't know about this list.

Giants #2?

Jax #6?

Cleveland #8?

I know posters will go ga-ga because we are all neglected children looking for love, but this is just flawed.

The giants just won the superbowl. JAX is a very balanced team and very tough. They were very tough to beat in a difficult AFC South last year. Cleveland at #8, I agree, MAY be a bit of a stretch, but they were 10-6 in the AFC last year, and that says something. I was a bit surprised at the lower ranking for Green Bay as well, but on the whole, top to bottom, I think this was a pretty good ranking (doesn't hurt that he put the Skins at 10)

Quite a ranking from Fox. Schrager makes some good points.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8366366/Super-Bowl-foes-top-offseason-Power-Rankings

10 — Washington: Everyone's talking about Philly, New York and Dallas in the NFC East, but it's Washington that returns 21 starters from last year's NFC wild-card team. Add in six-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor from Miami, free agent Erasmus James from Minnesota and gritty safety Stuart Schweigert — and a hit-or-miss defense from a year ago suddenly becomes one of the league's most dynamic. On offense, Jim Zorn brings a new offense and a new philosophy, and the bevy of new receiving options selected in April's draft give Jason Campbell some receivers above six feet to pass to. Want to talk sleeper NFC champion contenders? Look no further than the 202. Camp: Ashburn, Va.

Now why doesnt ESPN and others see our team like this?

Before we get too excited, check out this quote from the article...

I prematurely pegged Jay Cutler as my preseason pick for MVP last season, insisting the second-year man would lead Denver to the postseason and past the Chargers for the AFC West crown.

What?!? He picked Jay Cutler as the league MVP last season? Sorry, but I don't give this guy any credibility.

Before we get too excited, check out this quote from the article...

What?!? He picked Jay Cutler as the league MVP last season? Sorry, but I don't give this guy any credibility.

:laugh: Swing and a miss! The great thing about preseason polls, if you're right, you can always bring it up at the end of the season. If you are wrong, you just keep your mouth shut and hope nobody googles it.

I'm stunned to see a team with a new head coach getting these kind of props.

I like being insulted a lot more. This is looking like 2000.

Wade Phillips? Sean Payton? Norv Turner (last year mind you)?

New coaches have had lots of success in recent years with talented clubs. With this new kid on the block taking over and the way things were run with Gibbs, I'm liking this year to what the Pukes did last year. With the governor thrown out the window.

Plus, it sounds like this team is dedicating the entire season to Sean so an intensity may be found throughout the season.

I'm not expecting much with the new system and coach, but a potential run is definitely there.

When are sports writers going to stop putting teams at the top of "power rankings" lists just because they won championships the previous season? It's a whole new year; there should be no benefit of the doubt. The Giants clealry took a step back this year with the loss of Strahan and Shockey, and didn't improve much in the draft or free agency. Their secondary will be exposed now that half of their main pass rush threat is gone and Kenny Phillips is not great against the pass.

This makes me really uneasy to read. Not because I don't think it's true, but I really think redskins football thrives in being the underdog. ...

Redskins football LATELY has been better as underdogs.

But in the 1980s the Skins were TOP DOG, sent many players to the Pro Bowl, won 3 Super Bowls and were in many other championship games.

That's where we need to get back to.

Big problem I have with this ranking is Giants #2. I'm fairly convinced that the Giants will pretty much suck this year, with a week 1 thrashing to set the tone. My NFC East prediction: 1. WAS 11-5. 2. Cowgirls: 10-6. Giants: 7-9. Philly: 6-10. Write that down. New York was really not that good last year. Dallas, Green Bay, and New England all seriously choked in the playoffs against them. Dallas will be ok but not dominate, and Philly will have a poor season after Donovan McNabb is lost for the season on Week 2.

I don't know about the records you post here, but I agree the giants might suck some balls this season...I am glad shockey is gone, can't wait to boo him later this year...its going to be great..

Quite a ranking from Fox. Schrager makes some good points.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8366366/Super-Bowl-foes-top-offseason-Power-Rankings

I like the comments, but I hate Fox News!(The one on cable) Every minority should hate Fox news. They are nothing but a bunch of republican-loving, racist a** frauds that do news. I especially dislike that O'Reilly guy. I mean whats up with him...his wife must not be giving him any...:shhh:

Dallas: For a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years, the media sure has a lot of confidence in the Cowboys this off-season. Everywhere you look, pundits are pegging Dallas as the NFC East favorites and the Super Bowl frontrunners out of the NFC. In truth, Jerry Jones did some nice things in the off-season, plucking both Zach Thomas and Adam Jones for 40 cents on the dollar, and re-signing Ken Hamlin to a long-term deal. Wade Phillips is Marty Schottenheimer Lite, though, having never won a playoff game, himself. Anything less than a conference title will be seen as a great disappointment in Big D this season. Is this squad up to the challenge? We'll have to wait and see. Camp: Oxnard, Calif.

brilliant.jpg

Archived